Old 04-22-2017, 04:38 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,536 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Pink Star/ protostar stamp/ 175g/ OS
sorry, nothing to compare it to; I only bought one.
Both my Star Aviar3s are production stamps, not proto-star-stamps, btw.

Thanks for this input.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts

So today was my first round with my new Star Aviar3 (pink 175g). It was everything I hoped it would be! I got it in yesterday, along with a Proto RocX3, new destroyer, and new max, so I went to throw them to get used to the way these flew. I used the Av3 on all my backhand shots I didn't need to finish right and were under 200 ft. Too bad I was on fire, shot 10 down, and didn't have to throw it as much as I usually would've. It is a great disc though. Feels great in the hand, once I got used to holding a putter with such a flat top on it. It goes straight for me, then reliably finishes off to the left (RHBH), or right (RHFH). I know it isn't as stable as a Harp, but I compared the feel of my Aviar3 and someone else's brand new Harp this morning and they felt somewhat alike with the super flat top.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 33
Niced 924 Times in 447 Posts

Got a good few throws in with my new pink protostar (171g).

Threw it into a headwind for the first throw and it flew straight for about 250' and then slowly faded forward-left for another 25-30'.

In calmer conditions I was putting it out to 300' and it flew straight for the majority of the flight and then had a decent fade.

Low glide and very accurate/easy to range.

Obviously acted more OS on shorter approach shots.

Overall, I think it's very similar to an Envy, maybe a little more OS though.

I plan on getting a few DX's now, as my friend had one and it felt great.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 110
Niced 31 Times in 18 Posts

I've had quite a few rounds in with the Aviar3 now and I feel like I have a good grasp on what it's about. It's a very good disc. I don't think it's really better than the Rhyno, P2, ect ect... It's just different and comes down to feel and what your looking for. The flight numbers are spot on. The 3 for speed is correct. It goes far for a putter and gets there fast. I think the 2 for glide is also correct. It doesn't pack a ton of glide and when it slows down it drops fast but it also aids in its wind fighting capabilities. And finally the 0/2 Is perfect for the Aviar3 as well. It has about the same fade as a KC/JK Pro Aviar but not as much as a Rhyno.

For me personally I feel like it's best when thrown hard. It really excells on low hard lines and it's the best putter I've ever used on those lines. I'm having a tough time gauging shorter touch shots with it and I feel much better with the Rhyno or JK Aviar on those shots. If I throw a hard hyzer with the Aviar3 it holds it well but on short touch hyzers not so much. If I throw a higher hyzer it will stall out and drop short and on lower shots it doesn't always fade as much as I like. It will stay straight and go long of my intended line. The touch just isnt there for me.

The Aviar3 is not going to bump the Rhyno from my bag. The Rhyno has a little better HSS even when broken in and the trust is there all around. I feel like I've been a stroke or two worse per round with the Aviar3 over the Rhyno and it's been the shorter approach shots. It is a fantastic disc and is so smooth on longer putter throws or low lines. I could definitely bag it and feel confident but it's not going to bump my JK Aviars or Rhynos. As I said earlier it will come down to feel for each person. You can't go wrong with any of the mentioned discs.

Niced: (4)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:09 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,536 Times in 1,194 Posts

I saw that Paul McBeth was throwing the Aviar3 at the GBO, and it looked like it was doing pretty well for him.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 191 Times in 117 Posts

I got to throw mine in some ridiculous wind this weekend. 20mph and 30mph gusts. The av3 did not disappoint amd held later straight but never burned on me. Felt very confident with it on upshots and drives . the one in my bag is an orange first run star stamp at 175g. Ive thrown only 4 colors ,orange,green,pink star stamps and one purple swirl stock stamp. First 3 were 175g and the purp was 172 the purple one was the only one that flew straighter and would hold a turn longer than the rest.

I'm wanting to pick up some dx so I can work one into a straighter driving putter ,I think they'll be a good pair for driving next to my 2 dp2s I use for putting.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 110
Niced 31 Times in 18 Posts

I just can't take the Aviar3 out of the bag. I feel confident with Rhynos but certain shots the Aviar3 is just money. They molded up so nice with such smooth edges all around. I don't really want to carry both but I have been and most of the time just taking the Aviar3. I have noticed a big difference in the glide of the DX vs Star. The DX goes quite a bit farther with ease. I have to watch switching between the two on approach shots. I've been trying to beat up a DX to a straight/turnover putter but it's VERY durable DX. Similar to that Thunderbird DX.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Niced 525 Times in 235 Posts

there are a bunch of good comments in the posts above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
...I'm wanting to pick up some dx so I can work one into a straighter driving putter...
the DX will take about 10 rounds and several hard tree hits to beat into a really nice straight flyer. Seriously... it becomes Buzzz like. Low (for a putter), fast, little fade. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
...I don't think it's really better than the Rhyno, P2, ect ect... It's just different and comes down to feel and what your looking for...

I'm having a tough time gauging shorter touch shots with it and I feel much better with the Rhyno...

The Aviar3 is not going to bump the Rhyno from my bag...
100% agreed, it comes down to hand-feel *unless* you need the extra overstability of the Rhyno.

I had a tough time on some of my shorter shots on Saturday. Some went way too long, like 60' too long. This was always with my beat DX, never my freshy Star. The DX picks up a bit of glide as it wears in. My problem was that I was throwing the beat DX like it was a Rhyno. It isn't.

I feel like my Rhyno is going to stay as well. The DX Rhyno might be bumped out but the Champ is staying in for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
I just can't take the Aviar3 out of the bag. I feel confident with Rhynos but certain shots the Aviar3 is just money. They molded up so nice with such smooth edges all around. I don't really want to carry both but I have been and most of the time just taking the Aviar3. I have noticed a big difference in the glide of the DX vs Star. The DX goes quite a bit farther with ease. I have to watch switching between the two on approach shots. I've been trying to beat up a DX to a straight/turnover putter but it's VERY durable DX. Similar to that Thunderbird DX.
Yeah, the DX is good. I don't think its FR ThB good but it is really good.
I don't really want to carry both the Av3 and the Rhyno but there are certain shots that scream Rhyno and the Star Av3 just isn't the same. Hole 17 @ Winthrop Gold (USDGC) for instance. Barely over 200' and downhill. Anyone can reach it with a Rhyno. But that lake behind the pin is the killer. The low glide and overstability of the Rhyno is perfect for that hole. Right now I feel like I could land safely 90% of the time with the Rhyno and only 50% with the Av3. With more practice that should change, though. Hopefully.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts

I finally got my own Aviar3 in DX (175) and really like this disc, it is my favorite "new" mold I've thrown in a while.

For drives or fairway throws under about 275' this disc gets the majority of work. I've been throwing it on a high flex anny line, hyzer, and flat as well. It doesn't roll over even as it wears in. Thrown flat it turns just a hair before returning to fade at the end of the flight.

I do agree with several other's opinions—the only weakness I've experienced with this disc is that its a bit hard to gauge the glide for approaches. I was hoping it could also knock out my OS hit-and-stick approach mold, but I've found myself with several uncharacteristic 30'+ putts while using the AV3 to approach.

The Star stock stamp I first threw didn't have quite the glide of the DX; I could see a Star, Champ or even an R-Pro version pairing with my DX.

The DX AV3 definitely found its place in my bag, several of my friends have tried mine out and bought their own as well.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 224
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I got a pink aviar3 at 170g. Do you all think it will hold or be too flippy? Anyone else throw one at or near 170g?