Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts
Default C-Line DDx versus Lucid Sheriff

I am not looking for anything besides a comparison for these two discs.

I keep telling myself that I need to be set and satisfied with what I have. I love the glide of the DDx, but the S-Line is a little too squirrelly in the wind, so I upped to a C-Line DDx. Much better, and I am happy with it, as it works well with the S-Line. If there is a flaw, it is that when at full power that it still turns too much for my liking. I already have griplock issues with occasionally releasing too far to the right. So I coupled those two with the G-DD.

Life is good, and it works. Still, I was tempted in the store, broke down, and purchased a few Lucid Sheriffs. If it has the same or near glide (in actuality, the same distance) as the DDx, but has ever so slightly touch more stability than the C-DDx, I will be set.

I was only able to get in a few throws with the Lucid Sheriff today, and I am not sure how much of a test it was because there was an appreciative crossing headwind. While I might have thrown the C-DDx for fun, I likely would have pulled out the G-DD at that point. Still, on flat ground, grass tee, with a left to right crossing headwind, I placed them at 350, 370, and 390.

The first turned over and held the anhyzer all the way to the ground. While the raw distance was 350, it was considerably farther away from the basket than the other two.

The second was the closest to being online but dumped at 370.

The third held the anhyzer longer than I would liked, but came out of it enough to fade out at 390.

Again, this is a crossing headwind, so maybe not an accurate representation of what it can do, especially since I did not have my DDx with me during these throws. On calm days from a cement tee, I pull about 390-410, maybe 415-420.

On a couple of tailwind shots, I did not measure distance, but I noticed that if they expose any underside to the wind, they love to shoot upwards and turn into a sail, finishing farther left than intended. Also, when hitting the ground, despite not having enough to stay aloft, they still have a ton of energy and skip a long way. Is this something to be expected?

Normally on big shots it does not bother me that I am losing or gaining a few feet here or there, but there are just some holes where if I am not getting that distance and finishing left, I can be in trouble. The Valley #11, Montrose #11, and Vision Quest Black #18 are the three that come to mind.

So, thoughts on the Sheriff versus DDx so that I know whether to sell these three Sheriffs while they are relatively fresh, or bag them and try to unload my DDx?

And for the final note, I am a color snob and am very disappointed that C and G Line do not come in white, while white in Lucid is a dime a dozen.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2017, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 694 Times in 484 Posts

My DDxs got put in storage after throwing Sheriffs.My only concern is how fast Lucid beats in.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 23 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
My DDxs got put in storage after throwing Sheriffs.My only concern is how fast Lucid beats in.
lucid beats in... fast?

i didnt like the feel of the ddx in the hand, but the sheriff feels great. in lucid it seems a little more stable than the c line ddx i threw.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts

similar high speed stability but ddx has more low speed stability making the sheriff longer.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts

On Sunday I was able to get out and get some big shots with it. I was with a fivesome, so to keep moving, I was not able to take back to back shots with the Sheriff and DDx, so I went with the Sheriff to use as the big driver.

The final results were a wash, which is both a positive and negative.

Positive - Without a learning curve. On this particular course, in the last year I have thrown Trespasses, Halos, Ballistas, Catapults, DDs, DDXs, Wraiths, and the Sheriff. So I have seen a multitude of good and bad throws. I prefer to throw flat because it is easier for me to replicate than trying to judge hyzer and anhyzer angles. When thrown flat, the Sheriff has a slight turn but noticeable fade. Still, it got out there. On two occasions, on throws I still felt were less than ideal, it still outdistanced everything I have ever thrown on those holes. On other occasions, it came up right where I normally am, so no loss.

Negatives - It is a wider rim than most of my other discs, thus exasperating griplock issues that I have unfortunately developed in the last two to three years. I can really send it to the right. This makes me more conscious when I am on the teebox, which sometimes corrects the issue, but sometimes only makes the issues worse. On one throw, I needed to stay clean because it was open field left but trees lining the whole right side. It is a 400+ shot, so I need everything I can because I know I can birdie this hole by parking it, and birdies are hard to come by on this course. I clipped several trees on the right, forcing me to scramble while my other cardmates were attempting long putts. On another shot, you have some elevation instantly get under the disc, so this 600+ plays closer to 400, but with elevation, the road on the far right can come into play. Closer to the basket are smaller trees, and behind the basket is a small pond. Precision is not an absolute necessity, but it will be the difference between a long birdie attempt, easy par, and the possibility of suddenly getting a bogey or worse. The Sheriff turned/ griplocked OAT more than I wanted. It definitely sailed a mile, but my goodness it was off target (for the record, the ideal disc for this shot for me is the G-DD).

Wash - In most cases it did not make a noticeable difference, at least not on the scorecard. I did get one birdie on a hole that I normally do not, and that shot even clipped a branch. On other shots it was just within a long birdie attempt, but all my other big drivers have done that as well. If I am getting extra distance, which appears I am, in the end however, it is not enough to alter the scorecard by much. With that being said, I was still throwing timidly because I am worried about how much power I can lay into it. I was getting 380-400 while holding a little back. Could I get a little more if I go closer to 80-90%, or are griplock issues only going to get worse?

Niced: (1)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,544 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah511 View Post
lucid beats in... fast?
Relatively speaking, yes. Lucid/Opto beats in faster than Champion (which takes YEARS, if ever, to beat in) and faster than some Star discs will beat in. However, Lucid/Opto is more durable than GoldLine/Fuzion.

As an aside: I'm starting to be curious about the Sheriff as a fast, overstable compliment to the Tern when the winds are beating my face.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 694 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post

As an aside: I'm starting to be curious about the Sheriff as a fast, overstable compliment to the Tern when the winds are beating my face.
It has been my best answer yet for that, and I'm constantly searching. I'd love to see a huge stack to compare.