Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,088 Times in 482 Posts
Default Points leagues?

So talk to me about points leagues. Not PDGA points mind you but a league where we can determine a champion by some sort of points system. I run a handicap league where the round winner is determined by who beats their previous 2 rounds average the best. So I am thinking of a points system like this:

1 pt - showing up to league and paying
5 pts - winning league round
3 pts - ace during league round

Any other ideas? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 311 Times in 231 Posts

I suggest stayimg away from points but this is how my local league is run:
2 points for showing up
1 point for every one that you beat
It is a bagtag league with payouts determined by points. Unfortunately the majority of players only play one of the courses and no one really plays the one that I'm really good at.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 37
Niced 183 Times in 112 Posts

The one I used to run, and a nearby one that I play in once in a while were/are same ILUVS. I feel it makes more people want to come out more often. Not only are you guaranteed some points for showing up, but even doing okay on a night with a large group gets quite a few points.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Motor City Chain Gang does a handicap system where each division has an established "scratch" score.

A player's handicap is based on how their average* for the season, compares to the scratch score for their division.
If your average > scratch: handicap = 80% x (Div scratch - player's Avg)... which will be a negative #.
If your average < scratch: handicap = 200% x (Div scratch - player's Avg)... which will be a positive #.

This discourages players from bagging in a lower division than they really belong in.
Points awarded weekly to the top handicapped scores in each division. The larger the division, the deeper the point payouts go.

Open, AM1, AM2, AM3 get points for top 5 handicapped scores for the week.
Masters, GMaster and Women award points for top 3 score each week.

*Player's avg is calculated on a maximum of 12 rounds. After their 12th round, only a player's 12 best scores are used to calaculate their avg, so bad rounds drop off, which can really help their avg, but also means their handicap helps less as the crappy scores aren't used in determining their avg.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-20-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 99
Niced 131 Times in 78 Posts

Leagues in my area use points for season standing only. Doubles leagues 2 points for showing up 1 point for every person you beat. 5 bonus points for side pots birdie bank/ bogey free bank only if you pay the extra dollar to get in on those optional pots. All these points get added up for each weeks total. Top 18 out of 26 weeks count towards season total. Aces get you 10 points and are added to the season total not the nightly total. So if you get an ace on a week were you sucked up every other shot and that weeks points wind up being one of the weeks that are dropped you still get the 10 bonus points for an ace. There is a dollar taken from every league player registration that goes towards season end payouts and a season end party. 50/50 split. Top 5 for the season are paid out 1st 30% 2nd 25% 3rd 20% 4th 15% 5th 10% of money collected for season end payout.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Points for "showing up" makes about as much sense as participation trophies.

Assuming a player shows up for some minimum # of league days to qualify (say half the league's scheduled rounds, or however many the league officers decide)...

Shouldn't who finishes 1st, 2nd, 3rd... be determined by scores and averages, rather than the possibility of a player leap frogging past someone who had a lower avg (or handicapped avg if applicable) but missed a couple of days because they had tickets to a ball game, or a family function to attend? In a closely contested division, a couple of points can make a big difference.

I'm currently tied for 2nd place, chasing 1st, and fighting off the guy I'm tied with and some people within striking distance.
I can live with some one beating me out if they play better, or their handicapped score beats mine. But I'd be pissed if my handicapped average was better than their, and they only edged me out because I chose to attend my daughter's graduation instead of playing DG.

Missing a even a few weeks shouldn't be a factor in determining who finishes where.

Seems you sort of get rewarded for showing up anyway, simply by the fact that the more days you attend, the more opportunities you have to earn points.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 99
Niced 131 Times in 78 Posts

The points for showing up is so the team that came in last and beat no one earns some points for the night. Everyone gets them so it's relative. Someone beating you in season standings because they came 1 extra night you didn't and came in last place is highly unlikely. I don't think anyone above the season end payout line has a 2 point night included in their standings. Those 2 points nights are the ones that get dropped when you have more then the minimum weeks included in the season standings.

Link to one of our local dubs league to take a look.
https://www.discgolfscene.com/league...p/leaderboards

Last edited by kenjiac; 08-21-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 311 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Points for "showing up" makes about as much sense as participation trophies.

Assuming a player shows up for some minimum # of league days to qualify (say half the league's scheduled rounds, or however many the league officers decide)...

Shouldn't who finishes 1st, 2nd, 3rd... be determined by scores and averages, rather than the possibility of a player leap frogging past someone who had a lower avg (or handicapped avg if applicable) but missed a couple of days because they had tickets to a ball game, or a family function to attend? In a closely contested division, a couple of points can make a big difference.

I'm currently tied for 2nd place, chasing 1st, and fighting off the guy I'm tied with and some people within striking distance.
I can live with some one beating me out if they play better, or their handicapped score beats mine. But I'd be pissed if my handicapped average was better than their, and they only edged me out because I chose to attend my daughter's graduation instead of playing DG.

Missing a even a few weeks shouldn't be a factor in determining who finishes where.

Seems you sort of get rewarded for showing up anyway, simply by the fact that the more days you attend, the more opportunities you have to earn points.
I forgot to mention that only your best 26 rounds count so if I'm in second and don't beat the guy ahead of me its almost pointless as we both have all of our rounds in. In previous years the local tourneys were double points as was the season finale but that got kaboshed just as I was relying on it to give me the boost that I needed to take 1st.