Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 230 Times in 124 Posts

I don't do many reviews mainly for the reason the OP suggests....most has been said about a course. But if I want to, do I need to check with the OP to see if it's okay? This is a living site, people come and go, time passes, courses change. More and more, people are traveling all over the country to play courses, which keeps the reviews from locals in check as well as adding perspectives greater that just local or regional. That's how you get closer to a true average rating for a course and move towards eliminating biases.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,047 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Yea all this and if you review a course honestly (like Idlewild) you get hammered with unhelpfuls. So what is the point. Just let the locals have their inflated 4.75 course and move on to less reviewed or changing courses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Not sure what you mean considering one of the recent(ish) reviews gave it a 5 but has 1/23 thumbs up... I only thumb down a review for the rating if its well outside the average. Like the guy who gave Idle a 1 because its "too hard".
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Or like when some local gives his completely flat, lightly wooded, no tee pad/sign 6000ft course a 5.
Personally, I would rate it 4.25 if you included the "bonus" holes. If we are talking about just the OG 18 I might give it the 4.75 that the average would indicate.

...I don't do reviews, can you even give a course the .25 or does it have to be .5?

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 12-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.8
Courses Played: 181
Niced 445 Times in 222 Posts

.5 incriments
Old 12-01-2017, 06:55 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 257
Niced 752 Times in 240 Posts

A course or holes could change over time so a fresh perspective is always a welcome addition. Also, like some people have already mentioned, reaffirming that a course is good (or still good) is never a bad thing.

As far as what might be in it for you (besides helping out your fellow disc golfers and maybe getting a free mini) is I'm also going to try to put together a course recommendation thing that will be based on reviews. That way if you're traveling, you can see a list of courses the site thinks you might like that you haven't played yet. So if you were looking to get accurate results for that, it's in your interest to review courses that you like/don't like as it'll increase the pool of results.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 130
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

Yes, the redundancy of good reviews counteracts things like the review from Tom Z on Selah Ranch - Lakeside. He rated it 3.5 discs after rating Riverside Park in Brownwood, TX 3.5 discs and Rivery Park in Georgetown, TX 3.5 discs... while all on the same trip. This kind of stuff is laughable at best. By the way... he also rated Selah Ranch Creekside at 3.5! What a maroon... as Bugs Bunny would say. So, rate the course. It does mean something as long as you're honest.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 130
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

As for Timg sss point, Sidwinder22 came down to Texas to play our courses during the massive drought we had. The courses were in bad shape and he said so. To add insult to injury, it rained on the bare black clay we have in the DFW area and it's slicker than (fill in the blank) and messy and nasty and a lot of other bad things. It was the luck of timing. (It's great down here now, but we lost a LOT of trees to the drought. The grass covering the clay makes for much better footing and a lot better time playing).

Time changes things, but stinko reviews are just that. Tom Z wrote all his reviews in 2017. They stink.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 154
Niced 159 Times in 83 Posts

DG Course Reviews should be used as a tool to better inform others of courses they love or hate... its only an opinion of a fellow disc golfer. Before I search out a new course to play I always read the reviews to give me the best chance of finding a course that I might enjoy playing. Over time I discover like minded reviewers that help guide me on my journey to find the perfect course. Many times it's not how many reviews a course has but who reviewed it. I say the more reviews the better...so review on fellow disc golfers.

PS. I still haven't found the perfect disc golf course but it's been a great journey.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 194
Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

Stick around awhile. You'll see some of the top courses get reviewed right out of the top 25. Those of us who've been around awhile remember The Woodshed, Highbridge Granite Ridge, Whistler's Bend, Milo McIver, Warwick...all top 10 courses that aren't in the top 25. You'll also find some courses that have held their own for a long time (the Selah courses, Maple Hill, Highbridge Blueberry, and Moraine have been in the top 25 as long as they've been around).

So yeah. Reviewing the top courses matters.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,178 Times in 1,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
As for Timg sss point, Sidwinder22 came down to Texas to play our courses during the massive drought we had. The courses were in bad shape and he said so. To add insult to injury, it rained on the bare black clay we have in the DFW area and it's slicker than (fill in the blank) and messy and nasty and a lot of other bad things. It was the luck of timing. (It's great down here now, but we lost a LOT of trees to the drought. The grass covering the clay makes for much better footing and a lot better time playing).

Time changes things, but stinko reviews are just that. Tom Z wrote all his reviews in 2017. They stink.
The mud didn't affect my ratings. It was epic though.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 541 Times in 460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuie View Post
I was thinking this exact thing. I assume he is talking about the Top 10 as he mentioned Flip City. For the most part, I don't even pay much attention to the Top 10. I only care about the new up and coming top courses.
I tried to update one in South Dakota, the Powerhouse Ally but my first review did not go through or at least did not stay. It has the new style of Mach III's in blue for the 18 hole course with alternate tee pads and Pins from original Mach III set in 2000's, a Practice hole with smaller tee single pad and a Mach II with an old top sign from the original set of 9 Mach III with a P on it that came with the second set of top numbers the bought for the Original Mach III's. I and others do not know the length of the practice hole but it is almost long enough to be hole 19. It was 9 holes in 2004 till 2007 then we got another 9 for holes 9-17 and removed the original 9 numbers and got new ones for the course, well the South Dakots State Park division in 2007 did that to the original 9 and got the grant for the second nine that were designed by a guy who was 2 grades above me in school and was in the 10th grade. Now I helped with second set of 9 and the 18 alternate tee pads. Designed on hole in the 9-17 set as well as gave input on a hole that a few days out of the year at that state park, for disabled wheelchair hunters one for wild pheasant, other for Deer. Other then that hole having a grill cover on it during that time of year the course is a really nice 18 hole almost 19 with the Practice hole Basket the local Club bought last year as well as the club chipping in the cost of the basket beyond what a standard Mach III basket would cost to have the nice blue baskets. The in town course Steamboat now has the tops of the baskets Mach III with the bottoms and pole from the DB-5 baskets. So now we have Mach III baskets essentially at both courses to have top tournament tier baskets. Not that anything more then B tier events happen in the area.