Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 110
Niced 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Out of curiosity are those Roc3s you're bagging with the RX3? Or KC Rocs? I would be interested to know how stable these are in comparison to either.
Roc3s do come in and out of the bag but generally I carry 3 DX Ranchos (basically a beat one for turnovers, worn Roc for straight shots and a fresh stable one) and one flat top Star Rancho. The Star RocX3 is by far the most stable. For me with a clean release it has zero high speed turn and a very healthy fade.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 04:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,239 Times in 591 Posts

How does the new star RocX3 feel?
Are they gummy, hard, slick or grippy?

I just saw that these were a thing and was hoping to gather some info before I either go with a star Rancho or Star RocX3.
I can't get a good grip on champion
Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,539 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamache8 View Post
Anyone throwing the star rocx3? Anything Im missing out on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Next time I order from DiscGolfCenter, I'm going to throw in a Star RocX3, but I haven't done it yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
How does the new star RocX3 feel?
Are they gummy, hard, slick or grippy?

I just saw that these were a thing and was hoping to gather some info before I either go with a star Rancho or Star RocX3.
I can't get a good grip on champion
Just got in my new Star RocX3. Feels like a Roc family disc in the hand (that concave underside, etc.), and the plastic feels good, a lot like the Star Aviar3 (as an example). The Star RocX3 is board flat.

I'll throw it when the weather clears up, and in comparison to the Bard, Hornet, and Gator.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 111 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Just got in my new Star RocX3. Feels like a Roc family disc in the hand (that concave underside, etc.), and the plastic feels good, a lot like the Star Aviar3 (as an example). The Star RocX3 is board flat.

I'll throw it when the weather clears up, and in comparison to the Bard, Hornet, and Gator.
Do you have a champ rocx3 or champ roc3 for comparison by chance?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamache8 View Post
Do you have a champ rocx3 or champ roc3 for comparison by chance?
I have Champ Roc3s and Star Roc3s, which I always found to fly the same (IOW the Champ is not more overstable than the Stars, at least fresh out of the box). The Roc3 is not all that overstable for me, so I expect the RocX3 to be more overstable. We'll see, when the snow melts...
Old 01-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Update: took the S-RocX3 out to the range today, along with a Tournament Plastic (TP) Bard, Z-plastic Green Hornet, Champion McBeth 3x Roc3, Metal Flake Roc3, Shark3, and Star Gator. Good session, had fun throwing these discs. There was a very mild headwind for most of the throws, with a few throws the other way (with the wind).

The furthest flyer was the Metal Flake R3, somewhat to my surprise. It flew straight with some reliable fade. The 3x R3 flew very straight and then faded a little bit. I also turned the R3 over a bit a few times, and some of its throws ended up being anny/flex shots such that the fade compensated for the turn for an overall straight shot, which was cool. The Shark3 was a lot like the R3s, but faded just a bit more for me.

The Gator did Gator things (as Ian on CCDG would say). Flew pretty straight but began seeking the ground fairly quickly, then dump faded hard. Shortest distance of all the discs, which I expected.

In between were the Bard and RocX3. I was surprised how "not overstable" the RocX3 was. It actually flew straight with good glide much more than I expected. The fade is reliable and more than the Shark3 and R3s, but not as much as the Hornet's glidey fade. The Bard actually tried to turn over a bit and then faded about like the RocX3, and again not quite what the Hornet was giving me.

Overall, I like the RocX3; it fits between the Roc3 and the really overstable stuff like the Hornet, Gator, and I would imagine the Wasp, etc. But if you're looking for a very OS glideless brick, the RocX3 will likely disappoint you, and the Bard will disappoint you even more...

Niced: (2)

Last edited by SD86; 01-20-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Update: took the S-RocX3 out to the range today, along with a Tournament Plastic (TP) Bard, Z-plastic Green Hornet, Champion McBeth 3x Roc3, Metal Flake Roc3, Shark3, and Star Gator. Good session, had fun throwing these discs. There was a very mild headwind for most of the throws, with a few throws the other way (with the wind).

The furthest flyer was the Metal Flake R3, somewhat to my surprise. It flew straight with some reliable fade. The 3x R3 flew very straight and then faded a little bit. I also turned the R3 over a bit a few times, and some of its throws ended up being anny/flex shots such that the fade compensated for the turn for an overall straight shot, which was cool. The Shark3 was a lot like the R3s, but faded just a bit more for me.

The Gator did Gator things (as Ian on CCDG would say). Flew pretty straight but began seeking the ground fairly quickly, then dump faded hard. Shortest distance of all the discs, which I expected.

In between were the Bard and RocX3. I was surprised how "not overstable" the RocX3 was. It actually flew straight with good glide much more than I expected. The fade is reliable and more than the Shark3 and R3s, but not as much as the Hornet's glidey fade. The Bard actually tried to turn over a bit and then faded about like the RocX3, and again not quite what the Hornet was giving me.

Overall, I like the RocX3; it fits between the Roc3 and the really overstable stuff like the Hornet, Gator, and I would imagine the Wasp, etc. But if you're looking for a very OS glideless brick, the RocX3 will likely disappoint you, and the Bard will disappoint you even more...
How would you say the RocX3 compares to DD Verdict? And does the RocX3 have that mile long skip like Verdict or does sit down when it lands?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 312 Times in 232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegan18 View Post
How would you say the RocX3 compares to DD Verdict? And does the RocX3 have that mile long skip like Verdict or does sit down when it lands?
Similar stability, different hand feel. It depends on the release angle, but the RocX3 generally fades and sits, but given hyzer it will skip.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegan18 View Post
I've never thrown a Verdict, so I don't know. The RocX3 is Star plastic, but even so it did not skip much at all. Admittedly I didn't try a hard, low skip shot with it... I'll try that next time I take the RocX3 out to the range or the course...

Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 PM

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:

That's what I think too. My first run RocX3s fly like a USDGC Roc. They aren't as stable as I hoped. I'm back to Wasps to compliment my Rocs.

Niced: (1)