Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 116 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I agree.

The management of this site has guarded against the slippery slope by only removing the most egregious examples. That extreme caution and reluctance to remove reviews has kept us high on that slope.
That's BS David...so a 0 for Woodshed is not egregious enough ? Really ?
The management is more interested in numbers, than accuracy. Wise up.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Mando; 05-19-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 116
Niced 116 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
IMO the rating system here works fine, it's not perfect but any tweak that's made to it won't make it perfect either.
If a golfer makes their decision to play or not play a course based on the rating alone or only on one review that's on them.
Why is it always about the golfer ? What about how the ratings affect the private course owner that is trying to break even ?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,460 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
It's not the rating, but the reasoning, that makes it a vendetta.

The 0 at Woodshed is the view of someone with a very different idea of what constitutes a good course. Or bad.

A bunch of low ratings of Beaver Ranch by an organized group, trying to damage the course because they're mad can't run a tournament when they want, is a vendetta.

Meanwhile, at my age, I'm as wise as I'm ever likely to get, and have to live with that deficiency.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:04 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,967 Times in 936 Posts

I think it's been brought up before but what if TR's ratings were more heavily weighted than non-TR's? So if a TR comes through and gives course X a 3.5 it will take a lot more drive bys giving it a 1 to drag the average down. Higher the TR rating, higher the weighting? You've got to play a lot of courses to become a TR and usually just by osmosis that tends to make better reviewers. It's not perfect b/c you can become a TR easily enough if you whore around for up thumbs but it seems like it might work. I'd rather have the solution be more reviewer based rather than nebulous, moderator or algorithm based. Seems like that would encourage more reviews and better yet make reviewers better at reviewing.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:25 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 12 Times in 4 Posts

IMO, the 1.5 rating of Black Falls was a blatant and malicious attack just like the recent vandalism that took place at the course. The person also went out of their way to slam it on the PDGA review page. I still believe that this person did not actually play the course, but instead played Cherry Hill up the road. Cherry Hill has been closed for over four years. This is where their car was parked. They never parked at Black Falls.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 104
Niced 161 Times in 69 Posts

So I read the first page of this thread, then skipped to this page. Just to be upfront, and explain why I'm making a comment about rating disparity.

One of my local courses has an average rating of 3, but no 3 disc reviews. There are three over three and three under three, and seem to be reflective a course redesign that didn't make it on this site as a new course. So while the old layout would have averaged a 3.83, the new course averages a 2.17, but the course is listed as 3. Who's to say which are the outliers? (just for further info, the three oldest reviews are the more highly rated, the three newest rated 2-2.5)

I do like the idea of their being a weighted system of Trusted Reviewers getting more weight towards a course's rating. Another good example is B. Schmitz in Houston, TX where someone who only has 1 course played and 1 reviewed rated it a 2 disc course. Full disclosure, I also played and reviewed this course, so you can see my opinion on the course site, but given that there are no signs, no tees, no anything but baskets, a 2 disc rating pulls the average up to .63, despite only one out 4 reviews over .5.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Regarding weighting TRs, on any given course you can filter for them. Most of the time, it makes very little difference.

My only wish for a change in the way the site does it---without knowing how much work it would be, or offering to do that work myself---would be a few more filters in the course search. So that for someone whom it matters, they could create their own personal Top 10 by TRs, or Most Recent 10 Reviews, or whatever criteria they think should be used. More easily, because even now someone can go through the top 10 or top 25, apply whatever adjustments seem fairest to him, and produce a list.

As it is, the site favors simplicity:

---anyone can rate a course, with a few request, including that the rating be honest

---A course's rating is the average of the individual ratings, without judging which are more or less important

---The Top 10 is for curiosity. It doesn't claim to be the Authoritative Top Ten of world's courses. It simply lists the top 10 of course ratings, with the only filter being a minimum number.

There's a rationale behind weighting TR reviews, sure. As there is for dropping reviews over 2 years old (why do 10-year-old Flip City reviews still matter, when the disc golf world has changed so much since then?). Or dropping lowest & highest reviews. Or choosing a different minimum for the Top 10.

Though I'd value TRs over locals who join and write 1 review of their local course, I'd hesitate to put too much weight for the TRs. On the plus side, they've played lots of courses so have some perspective. But they get those TRs by the thumbs, too; writing reviews well, or perhaps just pleasing locals on courses with big followings, isn't the same as being authoritative on disc golf quality.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,098 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I can easily see someone who is an inexperienced (bad) golfer having a dreadful time on the Woodshed, particularly if playing without a guide. Wooded holes are brutally long and silly tight. Open holes are several throws worth of long. The pond is a disc eater with the Japanese iris surrounding it and lots of nasties lurking within. Sometimes the grass isn't mowed, etc, etc. Does it all add up to zero? Probably not for even the worst golfer but if that is their experience so be it. Your quest for accuracy in an opinion driven list is tilting at windmills. The only way to achieve any form of accuracy in a list such as this is to try for as many numbers as possible.

Disclaimer- The Woodshed and Whippin' Post are owned by my friends and I have played them many times. Paw Paw is probably my favorite place to play disc golf. I helped out in running the West Virginia Team Invitational there just a few weeks ago.

Last edited by biscoe; 05-20-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

For what it's worth, the 0 at Woodshed was not by a beginner, but a guy with a seething hatred of wooded courses, and those who design them. Even the courses he gave high ratings, he'd spend much of the review trashing other courses for not being like them. You didn't have to read many of his reviews to know they were his honest opinions (and about as outlier as it gets). He also gave an 0.5 to the IDGC and seemed to think Charlotte was the pit of hell, discgolfwise.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 155
Niced 371 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
What I'm getting from all this:

It's okay if you wanna rate up for personal agenda, but if you rate down, be prepared for the immediate backlash.
That may be but a vendetta 0 disc rating will affect the overall rating much more than a homer 5 will.