#31  
Old 09-03-2018, 12:37 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,530
Niced 507 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
This will be the third year they've done these cards, right? If there wasn't a market for them, I would think they'd have given up on it by now.
Fwiw...imop...I think Dodge is an all in or all out kind of guy. I think if the DGPT does ever go belly up, it will be an immediate announcement and not a long drawn out "support us or we're going to go under" etc, etc. Plus I still think there's a bit of ego present, he just doesn't strike me as a guy too easy to give up on something he's fully behind. I admire his business savvy and overall gumption.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM
JedV's Avatar
JedV JedV is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cascadia
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,611
Niced 82 Times in 47 Posts
Default

I wish I had a Ken Climo rookie card

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-03-2018, 01:34 PM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 771
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I wish I had a Ken Climo rookie card
Leaf has actually made a few Ken Climo cards..

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-03-2018, 01:49 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,047
Niced 2,543 Times in 1,065 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Fwiw...imop...I think Dodge is an all in or all out kind of guy. I think if the DGPT does ever go belly up, it will be an immediate announcement and not a long drawn out "support us or we're going to go under" etc, etc. Plus I still think there's a bit of ego present, he just doesn't strike me as a guy too easy to give up on something he's fully behind. I admire his business savvy and overall gumption.
Having known Steve for over 15 years, I have to disagree. He's absolutely not afraid to ask for help or to drop something if it isn't working. He's passionate and gutsy, but he also isn't going to throw good money after bad. The trading cards are still a thing because people are buying them. The first year editions are sold out. The second year sets have very few left (2 if I'm reading the site correctly). Taking pre-orders on next year's sets shouldn't be that surprising.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM
JedV's Avatar
JedV JedV is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cascadia
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,611
Niced 82 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
Leaf has actually made a few Ken Climo cards..

Meh. I said rookie card.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 PM
harr0140's Avatar
harr0140 harr0140 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 1031
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,431
Niced 65 Times in 30 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Default

Packs are $8.95 each so basically $1 each. You have the chance to get some rare cards in those packs which do not come in the complete boxed sets which they sell for $55 for 65 cards.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Danderlion Danderlion is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 83
Niced 77 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
I wonder how much of an initial investment this was? The photos they chose are questionable. The price per pack is outrageous. The DG consumer base is not one that has loads of disposable income. I will be surprised if they sell more than 10 packs of those. The sports card market died in 1996. Investing in a product line based on hopes and prayers that they will sell is just plain dumb. These types of poor business decisions are what lead to bankruptcy. A better idea would have been to sell limited edition minis with the winners of the tournaments on them.
you sure about that? Seems alive and well, see links below. These are modern cards selling for $10k+. Market is dead though.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&_sop=16
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 AM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 771
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderlion View Post
you sure about that? Seems alive and well, see links below. These are modern cards selling for $10k+. Market is dead though.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&_sop=16

I am aware of the fact that there are one off cards being produced in order to spark interest and create value... The market did die. It certainly isnt what it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. The market now is much, much smaller with a focus on high-end collectors.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Danderlion Danderlion is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 83
Niced 77 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
I am aware of the fact that there are one off cards being produced in order to spark interest and create value... The market did die. It certainly isnt what it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. The market now is much, much smaller with a focus on high-end collectors.
Sorry, you are wrong.

That was just 3 quick examples. These are not one off cards, there are thousands of cards of many different players in many different sports selling for this amount. Hundreds of thousands selling for $1k+.

There is more money in the sport card market now than ever before.

The 80s and 90s sportscards are basically all trash because of major over production. There are very few from this time frame that still hold value.

I agree the number of collectors is smaller now than the 80s/90s, but today's sports card market is doing just fine. No where near dead.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 12-21-2018, 10:27 AM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,759
Niced 508 Times in 293 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderlion View Post
Sorry, you are wrong.

That was just 3 quick examples. These are not one off cards, there are thousands of cards of many different players in many different sports selling for this amount. Hundreds of thousands selling for $1k+.

There is more money in the sport card market now than ever before.

The 80s and 90s sportscards are basically all trash because of major over production. There are very few from this time frame that still hold value.

I agree the number of collectors is smaller now than the 80s/90s, but today's sports card market is doing just fine. No where near dead.
I have absolutely zero proof of what I'm about to guess. But yeah.

I would speculate many of the people that used to collect them slowly stopped, had to sell them for financial reasons, or whatever. Those that continued are old(er) and have more money to spend on random ****...how many 15 year olds do you honestly think buy baseball cards now? NO CHANCE teenagers and children seek them out on a daily basis like young people in the 80s did (for example).

Give it what, 30 years when a majority of said old(er) people die and see how the market is doing then. I literally haven't seen a sports card in over a decade and I'm only 29. Hell I haven't even heard anyone mention the words "______ card" in conversation in equally as long.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships Darkgreen Tournaments & Leagues 25 12-13-2017 04:44 PM
Disc Golf and Baseball Cards - Paul McBeth has bridged the gap Danderlion General Disc Golf Chat 13 07-29-2016 12:39 PM
Any Disc Golf stores that Accept Amazon payments/gift cards. drblam General Disc Golf Chat 4 09-11-2014 10:37 AM
DG Trading Cards jenb General Disc Golf Chat 27 03-03-2014 01:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.