Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which course is Harder in YOUR Opinion???
Wooded, Technical Line courses... 63 67.74%
Open, constant WIND courses... 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2018, 12:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

For me wooded courses are the hardest as I am not the best at shaping a line through a bunch of trees. Heavy wind is always a "joy" to putt in, especially when you get those gusty days that makes hitting a putt from 7 feet feel like you're trying to hit a 40 footer and the wind almost literally takes the putter out of your hand.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
nah, wind is harder and overall less fun. Don't get me wrong there, wind IS fun... but course after course, year after year of that would be dragging.

So, wind is probably harder IMO. Wind is unpredictable, shifting this way and that... different 30 feet away from the teepad... so many challenges. Trees just really stay there and a fair fairway (as opposed to unfair super tight or candy cane shaped) isn't all that hard. Learn a few utility shots to deal with tree kicks out of the fairway... and you're good to go.
It's true that wind can change mid-flight, or be coming from an unexpected direction halfway down the fairway. But an open, windy course isn't windy all the time; there are some times when the wind goes away.

Trees rarely move mid-flight, but they rarely disappear entirely, either.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Short & technical? Open windy hilltops? Long & wooded? Wind & water?

How about a bit of it all, on one course?

Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,239 Times in 591 Posts

I voted wooded. I find hitting lines far more satisfying than playing the overstable wind game.

There is a course near me that is open and the wind is almost always blowing, we play this course a lot in the off season as it's not a mud pit, so I've learned how to deal with the wind and I usually do well.

But. . . Open windy courses are such a freaking bore to play! If those were the only courses I had available, I probably wouldn't play much.

What's really interesting though is; playing a tight wooded course in the wind when the leaves are down!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 102 Times in 36 Posts

Really digging into the question, I start thinking about it from the point of view of fatigue.

Open courses with a lot of wind get you two ways (provided there's no cloud cover): mentally, by constantly math-geeking on vectors and whatnot; and physically, with the sun beating on you for a couple of hours.

I feel like I have an advantage over my own stupid self if I'm entering the woods to play. Shade, baby, it's your best friend. And wind is minimized, of course, but does have a way of sneakily affecting shots when you least expect it. Still, you're not fretting about it from shot to shot.

Wooded courses require a more technical approach, but open ones mess with the head more, in my opinion. Distances are trickier to gauge, too. So I'd rather play amongst the trees, and that answers the question: open windy courses are harder. For ME.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 133
Niced 276 Times in 132 Posts

Toughest: Windy semi-open woods course where you either can't feel the wind off the tee, or the wind swirls and changes direction halfway down the fairway. Sometimes your only clue is to watch how the leaves/branches further down the fairway are moving.

Open and windy means throwing the same shot over and over again with stable discs and putters, and laying up putts that could otherwise be run.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Niced 39 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Short & technical? Open windy hilltops? Long & wooded? Wind & water?

How about a bit of it all, on one course?
Wow, that sounds very much like a course I've played in South Carolina!!
I think it is called Stoney Hill.....

Niced: (1)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 94
Niced 440 Times in 177 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Tight wooded courses are tougher imo. For wind all I have to do is remember to pull back a bit on my throws. Once I do that I lose distance but not as much accuracy. Putting in the wind becomes more of a problem but turning the disc upside down has worked for me in windy conditions.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 AM
* Ace Member *

I'll go with wooded.

But some of the talk about windy courses seems to assume mostly headwinds. Headwinds are easy; tailwinds easier. It's the crosswinds, and the particularly the between-a-headwind-and-a-crosswind, that cause me grief; not to mention swirling, gusting, and midflight-changing winds.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 98
Niced 230 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's true that wind can change mid-flight, or be coming from an unexpected direction halfway down the fairway. But an open, windy course isn't windy all the time; there are some times when the wind goes away.

Trees rarely move mid-flight, but they rarely disappear entirely, either.

But I can see the trees and take steps to try not to hit them. I can't see wind down the fairway that I can't perceive on the tee pad. I can't throw around wind like I can trees. I'll take my chances with what I can see and avoid. Wind just brings a bunch of randomness into the game. At least you know where the trees are. I have to bring my sense of humor to a wind course to have a good time.