Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which course is Harder in YOUR Opinion???
Wooded, Technical Line courses... 63 67.74%
Open, constant WIND courses... 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 558 Times in 379 Posts

Technical and wooded courses are both more challenging and more fun. Like bogey said, the ease of the approaches is one of the big factors. As long as you get decent distance off the tee, even if you're way off line, you'll have an unobstructed look at the basket.

There's a course in Oklahoma City that I used to play a lot (Woodson) that is the epitome of open, constant wind. I enjoyed it very much, but it was relatively easy to stay par or better because of those approaches. It was fun, but not as much of a challenge as some other local courses. Of course, in OKC even the technical courses are affected by wind on half or more holes.

Now when wind was really roaring, I'd have to change my mind. I'm talking wind where even a 15' putt is a coin flip. But that's not the norm, and that kind of challenge doesn't make any kind of disc golf more fun.

I have plenty of good wind stories from Oklahoma and Florida. One of the best was a 800' or so very mild but consistent downhill, with a 20mph or so headwind. You'd better get that nose angle right, or it becomes a very laughable and frustrating disaster hole! Again: it's a challenge but not the kind we disc golfers got into the game for.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 372 Times in 263 Posts

I'm going open long distance windy... I'm a pretty solid deep woods player I can beat some of the best around here and can get a solid 300' drive... problem is when it's two or three shots to get to an approach or wooded area there's a big difference between 800' when you can't push 350+ consistently.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 58 Times in 39 Posts

Both are challenging. You must have the correct disc and have the proper fundamentals with both in order to be successful. I chose the open courses, as for me, wind tends to get into my head more than any trees.

Just played a new course in Frankfort, KY that is brand new and pretty long and open with a lot of OB and grass tees (the tees have yet to be installed). It wasn't too windy but still challenging to get 2s and 3s. You still had to be accurate and have distance. If you were off somewhat, you could be OB or cut off by shrubbage.

Honestly, it's very personal and there isn't too much difference.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 640 Times in 332 Posts

I hear a lot of replies that start out saying wooded is harder, but then say that they score better on average with technical courses. Really? Did your brain melt while contemplating? C'mon, your own logic says windy is harder. I'm sure this is due to anxiety from hitting trees... Makes it FEEL harder than windy holes.

Anywhoo, I second the idea that really good course will have windy hilltops and technical holes... Not to mention water and so on...
Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 166
Niced 558 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
I hear a lot of replies that start out saying wooded is harder, but then say that they score better on average with technical courses. Really? Did your brain melt while contemplating? C'mon, your own logic says windy is harder. I'm sure this is due to anxiety from hitting trees... Makes it FEEL harder than windy holes.
In the OP, he mentioned "Mostly Open courses, with man made OB, but the wind adds such a variable, I have had a really hard time getting used to it. And by WIND, I mean CONSTANT 10-15mph with Gusts up to 25-30mph that make putting a nightmare."

I think the reason I went wooded/technical is that I don't think there's such a thing as a course as described above. I've played numerous courses that are in the same vein, but they only hit that really annoying and really difficult 10-15mph with gusts up to 25-30 mph about 1 in 5 times played, at worst. Really, it's 1 out of 15 or 20. So since we're comparing courses, I'm comfortable saying the technical course is more difficult. Now if you're only counting that open course in that 5-20% of the time that it's an absolute windy nightmare, you've got me. But on wooded courses, they do play quite a bit tougher since you have to fight harder for each bit of distance, with the added possibility of tree kicks off the wrong way, and obstructed approaches after relatively small mistakes.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:48 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 640 Times in 332 Posts

OK, I read OP as saying always wind or always trees. In that case, wind is harder IMO. Open courses with regular or even occasionally gusty is actually quite fun and way easier than a wooded course.

So, it depends on what exact question you are answering.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 24
Niced 634 Times in 252 Posts

I think wooded technical courses are harder on average. But any course with 30+ mph wind is going to be a nightmare
Old 10-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 46 Times in 31 Posts

From my experience, it is easier to *learn* a wooded course then an open one. Play the course a few times you get the idea of the type of shot needed, you practice it, and slowly you build up your ability to execute on it given your skill set. On an open course you never quite know what your going to get day to day due to the wind. If I could power hyzer an os driver 350'+ maybe I wouldn't complain. It is frustrating to easily park a 325' hole one day and on the next day throw a sad 275' drive and the following day out drive the hole and land OB.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,460 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky Yutz View Post
Wow, that sounds very much like a course I've played in South Carolina!!
I think it is called Stoney Hill.....
I'm been found out.

Yeah, I was watching autumn winds whip across the pond, with the woods in the background, as I typed. It's not always windy here, but a number of extremely windy tournaments have earned us a bit of a reputation.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 130
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

Toughest courses I've played have been in west Texas on windy days. The courses are easy when it's calm... about 1 out of 5 times you play them. Sustained winds in Lubbock or Odessa can make playing a nightmare. Crosswinds are unreal at over 30 mph. Then there's putting.

I'd always rather play in the woods. It's not even close.