Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Any Heat throwers out there? They just ran some swirly rimmed ESP. Looks like 1960s psychedelic art.

I'm waiting for a run of Undertakers...
Where can one find these, my Heat is taking a swim in the middle of a pond...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 137 Times in 75 Posts

I have been messing around with some discraft discs lately and have a few questions. I used to love forces and with the first runs depending on what color you got would determine its stability. I got a green esp force thinking it would fly slightly overstable but oh boy I was wrong and that thing is a pig. What should I be looking for in a force (plastic, shape, etc) to get one that is a little more throwable?

Are z and esp nukes still very different and how are the current runs flying?

Is there normally a flight difference between big z and regular z?

What is a common fairway driver set up for discraft these days? I am thinking of trying something like a predator, two vultures, and a mantis. Would that cover the spectrum of shots?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:17 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I have been messing around with some discraft discs lately and have a few questions. I used to love forces and with the first runs depending on what color you got would determine its stability. I got a green esp force thinking it would fly slightly overstable but oh boy I was wrong and that thing is a pig. What should I be looking for in a force (plastic, shape, etc) to get one that is a little more throwable?

What is a common fairway driver set up for discraft these days? I am thinking of trying something like a predator, two vultures, and a mantis. Would that cover the spectrum of shots?
Color should not matter for a disc flight in most brands now even with the stability of a disc. Trust me, I have a ESP XL that flies how most other ESP XL fly with the same dome shape. Very much like a Stalker in flight, but the Stalker dose not hook like the ESP XL. Big Z might have the glide be more to the same mold of disc if it is made in ESP, not sure about the other characteristics if they are more to Z or ESP in flight.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 111
Niced 164 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:

1. There are some generalizations with Force plastics/stabilities, but the best method is to compare parting line heights. The best bet I could give you would be to look through a stack and find the lowest one you can. Still won't be understable, but should be less OS. Ideally, the lightest ESP Force, with the lowest PLH.
2. Haven't thrown an ESP Nuke in several years. The current Zs are fairly OS @ 450' power, but usable, certainly.
3. Big Z seems to be a bit less overstable in MOST molds. Certainly true in Punishers, Vultures, and Cranks.
4. Fairways are what you are comfortable with. I don't know that you need 2 vultures, but I carry a max and a 169, to good use. If you haven't tried an Undertaker, you need to. Good in all plastic, and there are stability guidelines in the Undertaker thread, depending on what you are looking for.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 11
Niced 61 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:

I'd replace one of the vultures with a heat. It's a great hyzer flip disc and is more understable than the production Mantis... Since you wanted the spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 88
Niced 710 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:

Check out the DGA hurricane for a 'more throwable' force. All of the forces I've tried in the last year have been more like an XCal than a destroyer.

I don't really throw nukes (rim is ungodly uncomfortable) so can't comment on that.

Not much of a flight difference off the shelf, but big Z will break in faster, in my experience.

Predator and vulture are pretty similar (think sexton firebird/thunderbird) Undertaker is more similar to a TB/TB3 slot. The Avenger SS, Mantis Pipeline, and Heat are all good options for turning/hyzer flip drivers. The machete and hellfire are also really good overstable options. Haven't thrown a Banzai yet but hear it's similar to an EagleX.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 868 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Where can one find these, my Heat is taking a swim in the middle of a pond...
I haven't seen this run in any online retailers stock yet. People were ordering from Discraft's website, but there are no pics so you'll have to request a color/pattern and see if they have any. If you didn't want to wait for swirly rims specifically, Infinite, Marshall, Disc Golf Center, and Hyzerfarm have some nice swirls of the regular variety:
https://infinitediscs.com/Discraft-Heat
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...=926&PPQT1=864
https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.c...wirly-esp-heat
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292628406779
Old 10-19-2018, 03:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,578 Times in 1,124 Posts

Picked up a couple of Jawbreaker Ringer GTs today, they feel nice for FH.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 9
Niced 45 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I haven't seen this run in any online retailers stock yet. People were ordering from Discraft's website, but there are no pics so you'll have to request a color/pattern and see if they have any. If you didn't want to wait for swirly rims specifically, Infinite, Marshall, Disc Golf Center, and Hyzerfarm have some nice swirls of the regular variety:

https://infinitediscs.com/Discraft-Heat

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...=926&PPQT1=864

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.c...wirly-esp-heat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292628406779

Heat (specifically Z-Flx) has become indispensable to me lately. Once I learned how to throw it, there are so many uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 670 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Got these in today in time to throw a few putts. I gotta say I still like the feel of the D plastic, medium firm and very grippy. Like the JB too, I'm gonna bag one of each for a bit and see how they season. Flat, low profile, beadless and neutral flight should work for me. Will probably try a Big Z for an US thrower if I like them for putting.
Gonna bag the D Roach for fall/winter putting at least. I'm really digging the feel and my putting has marginally improved the last couple weeks since switching from Atoms. Throwing the JB for S/US stuff. Flips fairly easy and holds an anny with a little come back. Stable dude was right, the Big Z is more stable but it won't replace my Envy.