Old 10-24-2018, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts
Default WV & VA? Nov 10 - 12

I have a few days off (Sat, Nov 10 - Mon Nov 12) and was hoping to hit a few private courses I've always wanted to play:

Sat: Woodshed & Whipping Post
Sun: Blockhouse (still on the fence about this making sense logistically, as it's about 3 hrs from Paw Paw).

Probably a lot of driving, but I figure I'll drive to Paw Paw Fri night and hit both courses Sat. Gets dark pretty early this time of year which limits how many courses I can squeeze in... but increases the amount of time I'm willing to drive (wouldn't be playing new courses after the sun goes down).

Would really appreciate someone PM'ing me contact info for Gabby/Spencer at Woodshed/Whipping post....couldn't find squat on either of those course pages. Want to make sure courses are available and they're OK with me out there that day.

Also, I realize some of the roads out that way are treacherous at night for first timers (the Magnolia & Gaither roads up to Whipping Post Lane is a pretty good example). Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if the roads near the Blockhouse are particularly tough to travel at night, or if there's something else I should know about.

Talk to me...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 191 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I have a few days off (Sat, Nov 10 - Mon Nov 12) and was hoping to hit a few private courses I've always wanted to play:

Sat: Woodshed & Whipping Post
Sun: Blockhouse (still on the fence about this making sense logistically, as it's about 3 hrs from Paw Paw).

Probably a lot of driving, but I figure I'll drive to Paw Paw Fri night and hit both courses Sat. Gets dark pretty early this time of year which limits how many courses I can squeeze in... but increases the amount of time I'm willing to drive (wouldn't be playing new courses after the sun goes down).

Would really appreciate someone PM'ing me contact info for Gabby/Spencer at Woodshed/Whipping post....couldn't find squat on either of those course pages. Want to make sure courses are available and they're OK with me out there that day.

Also, I realize some of the roads out that way are treacherous at night for first timers (the Magnolia & Gaither roads up to Whipping Post Lane is a pretty good example). Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if the roads near the Blockhouse are particularly tough to travel at night, or if there's something else I should know about.

Talk to me...
All I know, you will be driving right by Pittsburgh. Stop by for a round on that afternoon if you can!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
All I know, you will be driving right by Pittsburgh. Stop by for a round on that afternoon if you can!
The plan would be to pass Pittsburgh Fri evening... probs well after sun down. If I hit Spotsylvania Sun, I'd probably pass by the Burgh Mon afternoon on the way back... will let you know once I've figured it out.

First things first though: gotta find out how to get in touch with the owners of Woodshed/Whipping Post... ain't driving 400 miles to find out I can't play.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,362 Posts

Woodshed/Whipping Post are always open. Gabbi and Spence are super nice. You will want to leave there at least 30 minutes before sunset, or camp there. Phone is on Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Woodshe...0978857950408/

Blockhouse is no problem driving except for traffic. I'd recommending hitting Hawk Hollow(check w/ biscoe) if possible instead going that far out of the way, or go to Orange Crush/Seth Burton WV.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 166
Niced 556 Times in 378 Posts

Yup. Burton and Orange Crush are a good set to play, not terribly out of the way either. I want to get out to those Paw Paw courses myself. You're making me wonder if Saturday, 11/10, is the day.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 276 Times in 132 Posts

Paw Paw is a ton of fun. I'm about 90 minutes away so let me know if you are looking for company.

Orange Crush is a blast but a spotter can save a lot of time. I missed playing Seth Burton when we passed through but it looked fun. The Grand Vue courses (3 on site) in Moundsville WV are also a blast.

There is a nice run of courses down I-81 in Virginia - I liked Rockland and Jim Barnett the most.

Sounds like a great trip!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,096 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Woodshed/Whipping Post are always open. Gabbi and Spence are super nice. You will want to leave there at least 30 minutes before sunset, or camp there. Phone is on Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Woodshe...0978857950408/

Blockhouse is no problem driving except for traffic. I'd recommending hitting Hawk Hollow(check w/ biscoe) if possible instead going that far out of the way, or go to Orange Crush/Seth Burton WV.
Hawk Hollow- Plentiful Creek (old/normal course) will not be available. New Hawk Hollow South course probably will be. Truthfully were it me I would hit something closer to Paw Paw and save Spotsy/Lake Marshall for a separate trip.

Clarks Run at Freedom Center in Lovettsville is a burgeoning top notch course not too far from Wap Wap.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 118 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Clarks Run at Freedom Center in Lovettsville is a burgeoning top notch course not too far from Wap Wap.
Is that a public or private course, it's not listed on the course directory here.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,096 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Is that a public or private course, it's not listed on the course directory here.
it is privately owned and installed and managed by the LOCO Disc Golf Club. Their FB page is probably best place for info on playing it.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks everyone for the mentioning other courses courses and the offers to join me. I'd seen that Hawk Hollow was "closed for calving season- will reopen in February," but appreciate John confirming it here. Guess Hawk Hollow will simply have to wait for another trip.

Need to figure out if after playing Paw Paw, whether I will:
a) drive 3 hrs and spend the night near Spotsylvania to play BlockHouse on Sun, or...
b) spend the night closer to Paw Paw and hit a few of the courses folks have mentioned above. Clark's Run is about 1 hr closer to Paw Paw, and definitely peaks my interest...

Really don't know what I would do near Paw Paw once the Sun goes down... driving at night wouldn't really cost me any DG time, but it makes my return Mon about 3 hrs longer, which means I'd be lucky to play one course on the way back home.

Staying in the area probably allows me to fit more courses into my trip.

Left a voicemail for Gabby & Spence... looks like I have some planning to do.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-25-2018 at 04:59 PM.