#61  
Old 10-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Jolt Jolt is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 945
Niced 472 Times in 270 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halc๓n View Post
Well, we are still using imperial measurements. Be kind to us.
We do to. . .sometimes oddly enough

car rims, speaker cones, TV size, bicycle frames and many other tings we use inch as measurements
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-27-2018, 01:56 PM
filobedo's Avatar
filobedo filobedo is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Born, bred and shaped in the 843
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 263
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,113
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
Top ten still made more than an average kindergarten teacher here. I guess live must be good...
Most Kindergarten teachers have an education and experience. How many touring pros have a college degree and real life job experience should they be injured or decide to pursue a career outside of dg? This is why it seems some of the touring pros are Trust Fund babies. Not to call out anyone individually, but a few of the touring pros seem to never finish in the top 10 at major events where payouts are larger but travel constantly in RVs and/or coach surfing.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:16 PM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,378
Niced 361 Times in 155 Posts
Default

IIRC, Dave Dunipace (Innova founder) was a Trust Fund baby, and turned it into a Pro career and then patented the bevel-edged disc. The rest is history.
If someone has a trust fund or inheritance and wants to use it to tour on the DG circuit, more power to them.
I don't envy them. Their life, their choices.
However...I'm not necessarily inclined to support them further.

OTOH, I agree with those that say travelling Pros make life decisions when they tour.
Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they learn that better options exist.
Even so...I'm not necessarily inclined to support them either.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM
air show air show is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Land of Oz
Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 359
Niced 159 Times in 83 Posts
Default

I am a recreational disc golfer from KC and enjoy watching the MPO when they are in town or over at Emporia. I believe I would pay $20 to watch a final 18 or maybe $40 for a weekend pass... I just enjoy watching the top dogs throw. Also I work a 40 hr week job and realize these guys work a hell of alot harder then I do. I just wish someone could find these guys more money. However they are young and having fun so I guess that counts for something.

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-27-2018, 11:12 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 14,599
Niced 2,460 Times in 1,164 Posts
Default

One of the pros' problems is that there aren't a whole lot more of you.

It's hard to find a lot of people who will watch for free, let alone pay $20 or $40.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-27-2018, 11:17 PM
GoldeyeGolf GoldeyeGolf is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 283
Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air show View Post
I am a recreational disc golfer from KC and enjoy watching the MPO when they are in town or over at Emporia. I believe I would pay $20 to watch a final 18 or maybe $40 for a weekend pass... I just enjoy watching the top dogs throw. Also I work a 40 hr week job and realize these guys work a hell of alot harder then I do. I just wish someone could find these guys more money. However they are young and having fun so I guess that counts for something.
So what branch of the government do you work for?

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,524
Niced 506 Times in 300 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol....I am not begrudging them the chance to make a living at disc golf, but not on my PDGA dime. Much like David below, I would rather see my money go toward building the tournament and sponsorship infrastructure, to allow them to succeed. At the same time building a framework that would improve the amateur experience.
I also an AM btw, but "building the tournament" , etc, our fees already do that I'm assuming to cover insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Discette's Avatar
Discette Discette is offline
Independent Operator*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 485
Posts: 1,664
Niced 545 Times in 191 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
IIRC, Dave Dunipace (Innova founder) was a Trust Fund baby, and turned it into a Pro career and then patented the bevel-edged disc.


Dave Dunipace was NOT a trust fund baby. Dave put himself through college and graduate school by working several jobs. There was absolutely no such thing as a "Pro Career" in disc golf in 1983. Dave Dunipace won a whopping $300 as a Pro Disc Golfer in 1983: https://www.pdga.com/player/987/stats/1983


Please listen to Harold Duvall explain how Innova started on First Round Radio #117.

At 13:10 Harold explains: Dave had the design, Tim had the contacts at Wham-O, Charlie and Harold had some money.

http://finalroundradio.libsyn.com/harold-duvall


Listen to the entire interview for the full story from one of Innova's founders. 10:40, how Innova founders met. 16:25, Innova East was started in a spare bedroom in Harold's apartment.

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-28-2018, 04:06 PM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 878
Niced 245 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
As far as I know, she is not a teacher. It is perhaps what she used to do or went to school to do (I don't know), but Sarah Hokom has been a full time touring player for quite a few years. Definitely not a weekends/summers-only kind of player.

Perhaps you're confusing her with Sarah (Stanhope) Cunningham, 2010 FPO World Champ. I believe she is a teacher who only toured during her summer break, and now only really plays locally since becoming a mom.
I don't know much about Hokom, but you are correct about Cunningham. She did a lot of summer events and picked a select few school-year events to attend, but nowadays she stays local plus maybe one or two traveling events per year. Two kids and another on the way and a full-time job makes disc golf more of a hobby than a career.
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 10-28-2018, 06:05 PM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,378
Niced 361 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Dave Dunipace was NOT a trust fund baby. Dave put himself through college and graduate school by working several jobs. There was absolutely no such thing as a "Pro Career" in disc golf in 1983. Dave Dunipace won a whopping $300 as a Pro Disc Golfer in 1983: https://www.pdga.com/player/987/stats/1983


Please listen to Harold Duvall explain how Innova started on First Round Radio #117.

At 13:10 Harold explains: Dave had the design, Tim had the contacts at Wham-O, Charlie and Harold had some money.

http://finalroundradio.libsyn.com/harold-duvall


Listen to the entire interview for the full story from one of Innova's founders. 10:40, how Innova founders met. 16:25, Innova East was started in a spare bedroom in Harold's apartment.
Thanks for the correction.
My apologies for the misinformation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Steady Ed HOF Classic PDGA NT brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 101 10-18-2018 10:47 PM
2018 PDGA World Championships brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 645 09-17-2018 07:33 PM
2018 PDGA Am Worlds--CHARLOTTE tom12003 Tournaments & Leagues 112 08-02-2018 02:54 PM
2017 Pro Earnings brutalbrutus General Disc Golf Chat 72 01-11-2018 08:56 AM
2018 PDGA Charlotte Am Worlds Tour!!!! Disc Golf Ventures Tournaments & Leagues 28 02-10-2017 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.