Old 10-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default disc reviews

Does anyone else think that you should state how far a disc flies (for you) when giving a review on how it performs?

Those that are new to the sport will be seriously confused with what people write on here if there are no distances to help give the review a little more context.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 166
Niced 558 Times in 379 Posts

"Beat DX Beast is best driver ever! Easy S-curve max D!"

I suppose I agree. Most of us on here know enough to give distances and ignore or question those that don't. For putters and lower speed mids, however, the distances aren't quite as important.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 762 Times in 523 Posts

Yes, it is helpful. Like if I tell you a Roc for me has some turn and a reliable fade. It helps if you know I throw them 320-340.

A new player who throws mids 180-220 will see no turn and possibly be misled.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 41
Niced 498 Times in 285 Posts

Elevation should be mentioned if you're not near sea level.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 372 Times in 263 Posts

Damn beat me to it Grip.. Elevation is huge! Just as important as your distance..

That's something I like about Joe's universal flight chart it helped me understand what was in my wheelhouse for distance.. I'm about middle of the road or weaker on the MVP flight path....

(Internet distance x 0.75) - (5% x every 1000ft above sea level) = Actual distance

I think it is also helpful to know deep woods players from open course players and torque monkeys..

I don't like the Comet its too understable it can't handle my snap at 200'.. I always keep an eye out for certain people that I know throw my sort of distance and ability... and often ignore the rest.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 10-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 664 Times in 312 Posts

When a person gives a generalized statement about a disc's performance, without distances, it is pretty much useless to me. I want objective, measurable information.

And, I just shake my head at people who post that their disc went forever, or a mile, or some other statement that is obviously not credible. Such statements actually give me the opposite impression from what the person intended. When I read these statements, I picture the person getting maybe 200 ft distance(once), then posting in these forums about the fantastic distances that the disc gets. I just do not want to believe that someone with actual talent would talk about a disc's flight in a nonsensical way.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 685 Times in 492 Posts

I think if you mention how far a disc flies when YOU throw it then you should also make mention of YOUR average distance with discs of that category.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Niced 37 Times in 9 Posts

I think you should state how far it flies, whether you’re thowing the disc forehand or backhand, the plastic the disc is made of and the weight.

After having purchased far too many discs, and having written a few reviews; I’ve decided to cease writing them, or at least try to resist the urge. I have come to the conclusion that the variability in discs is simply too great to make reviews meaningful. My experiences are just anecdotal. I haven’t purchased enough discs of any one mold to arrive at a conclusion about said mold.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 593 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Elevation should be mentioned if you're not near sea level.
Or if you are near sea level! I'm sick of all this "sea level is standard" nonsense.

If you were to calculate the average altitude of all disc golf holes, you'd find that it's significantly above sea level. For that reason, using sea level as a typical elevation for disc performance is ludicrous.

Also, people should definitely include temperature and relative humidity when they describe how a disc performs. Otherwise there are just too many unknown variables, and the information is useless.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts

Disc review of [fill in any non putter disc here]:
" Flies straight and true with a dependable amount of fade at the end. Great in headwind, but also has a sustainable amount of glide. Fits comfortably in my hand"

TBH, there is nothing learned from reading about 99.7% of disc reviews. The best method to review a disc is to go to the shop and throw. To believe anyone's review is to buy a disc that likely won't work for you