Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,533 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For the specific question, you will be able to move objects even if part of them extends in front of the rear of the marker disc. There is discussion about how or whether to change the rule. One solution may be to remove the words "and no closer to the target." Another would be to define stance area.

The board has final say on rules; it's not something any one person can decide on their own.

Any more emails about the same topic would be handled by the same people that need to work on the fix.
I understand the process. I guess what I question is why anyone involved is doing the "media tour" to answer questions when the answers haven't been nailed down (or perhaps more accurately, when that person doesn't know even if they have been nailed down...never heard your answer out of his mouth). Or why the updated rules were published at all without the answers to some basic questions being nailed down.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 132 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I haven't listened to the PDGA radio appearance, but did listen to his Smashboxx spot and it was essentially the same as you describe. No real clarity about the question brought by this thread in particular, just his opinion (official? not official? totally unclear) of what the correct interpretation/application of the updated rule will be.

It would be really great if someone nominally appearing as a representative of the PDGA could be prepared enough to give firm answers to questions rather than couch a lot of stuff in "I think" and "in my opinion". If you're not the person to provide the answers, you shouldn't be the one taking the questions.
And what about a written explanation so all PDGA members can understand the rules? not just those that can hear audio...
Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 185 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
And what about a written explanation so all PDGA members can understand the rules? not just those that can hear audio...
hmmm, is that because putting rules in writing makes them *clearer* than a visual or audio explanation? Not necessarily so. It's like what Mrs. Gump said about those boxes of chocolates.

Besides, don't the vids have closed captioning???
Old 12-21-2018, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Niced 185 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'm willing. I've offered. Crickets.
ditto
Old 12-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 132 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
hmmm, is that because putting rules in writing makes them *clearer* than a visual or audio explanation? Not necessarily so. It's like what Mrs. Gump said about those boxes of chocolates.

Besides, don't the vids have closed captioning???
No, it's because currently the only clarification has been through PDGA radio, a medium deaf disc golfers cannot use to understand the new rules. The PDGA should be inclusive with their explanations, not exclusive.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 102 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For the specific question, you will be able to move objects even if part of them extends in front of the rear of the marker disc. There is discussion about how or whether to change the rule. One solution may be to remove the words "and no closer to the target." Another would be to define stance area.
How did this rule change get past anybody? Couldn't they have foreseen these issues?
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

The problem is they (the RC) knew what they meant and read what they wrote through that lens. Unfortunately, what they wrote does not match what they intended.

So now the rules of play and the Q&A are at odds with each other. One of them needs to change...

Old 12-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.3
Courses Played: 47
Niced 391 Times in 171 Posts

I have a theory about rule changes. The stupidity of any rule change is directly related to how many pages it generates on DGCR. Only six pages makes this one just mildly idiotic.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 353 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
I have a theory about rule changes. The stupidity of any rule change is directly related to how many pages it generates on DGCR. Only six pages makes this one just mildly idiotic.
Another way to look at it is how easy is it to express what is wrong with the rule change and how to fix it. When those two points are clearly expressed, there's nothing for other posters to do except press the nice button and/or post a Morgan Freeman meme.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 227 Times in 156 Posts

A couple of pictures would have clarified this rule change & avoided all this speculation.