#421  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 AM
mmblink86 mmblink86 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Posts: 222
Niced 65 Times in 36 Posts
Default

side comment about these videos...

anyone else surprised about some of the comments made about/lack of experience with these molds and plastics?

for someone making $250,000/year, i expected a bit more homework done on his part to develop a better depth of knowledge and accuracy in evaluation before presenting this marketing product to the public.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,405
Niced 716 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
side comment about these videos...

anyone else surprised about some of the comments made about/lack of experience with these molds and plastics?

for someone making $250,000/year, i expected a bit more homework done on his part to develop a better depth of knowledge and accuracy in evaluation before presenting this marketing product to the public.
I say it all the time and I'll say it again - this is a Building a Bag, not a What's In the Bag. And it was obviously filmed late last fall, so he likely knows a TON more now than what he did then.

I think it's fine that he expressed his uncertainty, it would be a little out of place if he just immediately knew all about another company's discs after only throwing innova for so long.

Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,870
Niced 737 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
side comment about these videos...

anyone else surprised about some of the comments made about/lack of experience with these molds and plastics?

for someone making $250,000/year, i expected a bit more homework done on his part to develop a better depth of knowledge and accuracy in evaluation before presenting this marketing product to the public.
Like said above, it's a building a bag not an ITB.

I think it's very very interesting to see his sometimes very first thoughts / reactions to a disc. I also find it interesting when something does something different than he expects.

And finally, when he finally gets his bag worked out, it will be really interesting to see the stuff that didn't make it.

When I got picked up by Discraft in 2015, I started the switch in fall of 2014 and it took honestly till mid to late 2015 to feel 100% comfortable. It's not a pick up new discs and dominate thing. Yes, it's the archer not the arrow, but it still takes time and practice.

Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 AM
SpikeHyzer's Avatar
SpikeHyzer SpikeHyzer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my cubicle...
Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 868
Niced 81 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Like said above, it's a building a bag not an ITB.

I think it's very very interesting to see his sometimes very first thoughts / reactions to a disc. I also find it interesting when something does something different than he expects.

And finally, when he finally gets his bag worked out, it will be really interesting to see the stuff that didn't make it.

When I got picked up by Discraft in 2015, I started the switch in fall of 2014 and it took honestly till mid to late 2015 to feel 100% comfortable. It's not a pick up new discs and dominate thing. Yes, it's the archer not the arrow, but it still takes time and practice.
MTL, could you tell D'craft to bring back the Flash?! It's such an underrated mold.

I for one have enjoyed the videos so far. This offseason has been one of the most entertaining in our sport in quite some time.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 AM
mmblink86 mmblink86 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 23
Posts: 222
Niced 65 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I say it all the time and I'll say it again - this is a Building a Bag, not a What's In the Bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Like said above, it's a building a bag not an ITB.
thank you for over-emphasizing this point. like i didn't know this before posting my comment...


Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I think it's very very interesting to see his sometimes very first thoughts / reactions to a disc. I also find it interesting when something does something different than he expects.
while most will probably agree, i do not think this was the best approach for a company trying to regain market share.


Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
And finally, when he finally gets his bag worked out, it will be really interesting to see the stuff that didn't make it.
you and i both know his bag is mostly worked out. there won't be many surprises when an official ITB is posted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
When I got picked up by Discraft in 2015, I started the switch in fall of 2014 and it took honestly till mid to late 2015 to feel 100% comfortable. It's not a pick up new discs and dominate thing. Yes, it's the archer not the arrow, but it still takes time and practice.

congrats, but you don't make $250,000 to throw plastic at baskets or have the experience level/skill that he does. regardless of timing, there should have been more preparation on his part if Discraft was looking to target more than the "I'll-throw-anything-McBeth-puts-his-hands-on" market.

Last edited by mmblink86; 01-11-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,870
Niced 737 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeHyzer View Post
MTL, could you tell D'craft to bring back the Flash?! It's such an underrated mold.
I still bag one - one of the older firework versions. I had a newer one in the bag until last summer (I try to have as a few OOP molds in the bag as possible).

The Flash originally was a understable to stable (firework molds) and then the later became a lot more stable.

The Thrasher was intended to be the firework flash mold and then the Punisher the newer Flash mold.

I like the Thrasher, but just not quite as a straight flyer for me as the Firework I have perfectly tuned in. The ESP Punisher, however, was added to my bag and replaced the later run of Flash because the differences were very minor.

Pending on which type you like, I would recomend trying those.

Keep in mind the differences of plastic, however. For example, a Z Punisher was a bit too stable for the types of shots I wanted for it. The ESP (being a less stable plastic) was absolutely perfect. So just because the first Punisher / Thrasher you try isn't right stability wise, doesn't mean it's not the disc to replace the Flash. Just try the different plastics.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,870
Niced 737 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
while most will probably agree, i do not think this was the best approach for a company trying to regain market share.
I could not disagree more.

If it turns out that he ends up throwing a disc for disc copy of his Innova bag - Raptor (firebird), Force (stable destroyer), Kong (distance destroyer), Undertaker (teebird 3), Drone (gator or whatever OS mid he threw), Wasp (stable Roc 3), Buzzz (understable Roc 3), Zone (really no disc for disc replacement, but we knew he would throw it), Luna (McPro Aviar) and whatever disc he will throw straight to replace the Nova - that's what we expect.

I would argue up and down all over that him showing all these different molds thrown and thinking about throwing did a million times more for Discraft as a whole trying to regain market share than throwing exactly what we expected.

Evn though I think the above will be his bag (maybe throw in a Heat or Crank or Nuke or something like that), seeing him throw things like the Zombee, Buzzz SS, Heat, etc did huge things for Discraft.

I think that him throwing a Zombee for 6 seconds on a youtube ad immediately added validity to a disc that basically no one threw. And I'm confident they have sold more of those in the last month than any other one month period since it's release.

Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM
numbernine's Avatar
numbernine numbernine is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: indiana
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 456
Niced 109 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post

I like the Thrasher, but just not quite as a straight flyer for me as the Firework I have perfectly tuned in.

I like the Thrasher. Truly. I bag a couple. But I don't FEEL like it's a super high speed driver. I rip on that thing and it just doesn't fly as far as I would expect. It is nuts straight and I can depend on it , but it doesn't get anywhere near my other 11/12/13 speed discs. Have you had this experience at all?
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,870
Niced 737 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post
I like the Thrasher. Truly. I bag a couple. But I don't FEEL like it's a super high speed driver. I rip on that thing and it just doesn't fly as far as I would expect. It is nuts straight and I can depend on it , but it doesn't get anywhere near my other 11/12/13 speed discs. Have you had this experience at all?
I threw a few testers in Michigan when I was at the factory before it came out. They handed it to me and said "try this. We know you like the older flash. This is a disc that we are trying to make to replace it." I threw it and liked it, but yeah, it felt more like a 9 or 10 speed to me.

I really like the Firework Flash a lot. It would have taken a lot to get me to stop throwing it.
Reply With Quote
 

  #430  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Baked's Avatar
Baked Baked is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Georgia
Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 566
Niced 201 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Pretty damn impressive, not even two weeks into the new year and he’s got 4 signature discs and a prototype putter already available to purchase. I’m really tempted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McBeth’s Bag ff1964 Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 20 11-13-2018 09:24 PM
Paul McBeth What's In The Bag 2017 SD86 Discs 52 05-17-2017 11:40 AM
McBeth with Grip bag at GBO? IndyTyler General Disc Golf Chat 26 05-05-2016 12:30 PM
paul mcbeth grip bag lxiong84 The Marketplace 0 11-04-2013 12:45 PM
MCBeth Grip Bag Prototype Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 5 05-24-2013 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.