Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It will be difficult to get a consistent understanding of how discs fly in shimmer star.

I am pretty sure there have been several variants of shimmer star plastic.

The only shimmer star discs I have felt (own one, felt two others) are as stiff as Champion plastic. But there are lots of people on the internet saying regular star is stiffer than shimmer.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 61 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Billy View Post
It will be difficult to get a consistent understanding of how discs fly in shimmer star.

I am pretty sure there have been several variants of shimmer star plastic.

The only shimmer star discs I have felt (own one, felt two others) are as stiff as Champion plastic. But there are lots of people on the internet saying regular star is stiffer than shimmer.
I'm starting to agree with this. The 2019 KJ Birds feel nearly indistinguishable from current run of star, whereas I've felt some that are fairly still. Haven't felt any that are GStar soft, but I'm sure they're out there.

Most of the Shimmer Star I've thrown has been sheer beef. The only exception is a Rhyno I have which I feel is absolutely perfect. It has the low glide of the Rhyno but doesn't suddenly fade as my others do. It's more of a forward fade that still fades the same, just goes a few extra feet.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

sooooo in summary
the colors suck (but maybe not the newer runs)
the plastic sucks (but not really if person has only thrown one disc in it)

shimmer star discs may be more HSS and less glide or are much more OS than their regular star counterparts (something about flying like a 4x PMB Destroyer)

the last part might have been helpful but I don't know what a 4x PMP (or 3 line AJ) Destroyer flies like

so here's my solution
I'll avoid the shimmer star Shyrke I was looking at. If I want a more HSS Shryke I'll get another Pharaoh

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Niced 184 Times in 123 Posts

I have a shimmer star Firebird. Luckily it's purplish instead of gold or silver or bronze, so finding it isn't a huge issue. It's less overstable than the luster Firebird or the Glow C Line FD3 I sometimes toss in for that slot.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:37 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,531 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
I'll avoid the shimmer star Shyrke I was looking at. If I want a more HSS Shryke I'll get another Pharaoh
Pharaohs are awesome. Based upon a sample size of one, and the comments of a whole lot of people.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 61 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
sooooo in summary
the colors suck (but maybe not the newer runs)
the plastic sucks (but not really if person has only thrown one disc in it)

shimmer star discs may be more HSS and less glide or are much more OS than their regular star counterparts
My experience has been Shimmer is typically at the stability of Star to a little bit more. Luster, I’ve found, is like extreme Champion: less glide and more stable.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 354 Times in 186 Posts

The biggest problem in this debate is that not one single Innova disc is like another. They are like snowflakes. So one guy loves it, one hates it. Those ppl could swap discs and probably have opposite opinions. It's insane, really....

Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 88 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
The biggest problem in this debate is that not one single Innova disc is like another. They are like snowflakes. So one guy loves it, one hates it. Those ppl could swap discs and probably have opposite opinions. It's insane, really....
No manufacturer is that inconsistent. The logical extension to what you are saying is that one disc is too small a sample size to draw any conclusion about a mold/plastic.

If the only NFL game I saw this season was the Super Bowl, I could come to the conclusion that offense is at an all time low. If I only saw Mike Tyson fight Buster Douglas, I might conclude that Iron Mike sucked. These are 100% wrong conclusions to draw. This shouldn’t be a hard concept to grasp.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 503 Times in 247 Posts

These reviews of shimmer star sound a lot like my experience with swirled star TBs: generally OS and lack of glide. Swirled Star just doesn’t go that far. (Sample size 6 Nybo TBs, some 10x some 11x).

Does anyone know what the relation between shimmer star and Swirled star is? Shimmer looks a bit like G Star, which I haven’t loved either, for different reasons.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 354 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
No manufacturer is that inconsistent. The logical extension to what you are saying is that one disc is too small a sample size to draw any conclusion about a mold/plastic.

If the only NFL game I saw this season was the Super Bowl, I could come to the conclusion that offense is at an all time low. If I only saw Mike Tyson fight Buster Douglas, I might conclude that Iron Mike sucked. These are 100% wrong conclusions to draw. This shouldn’t be a hard concept to grasp.
You don't think there is even a little truth to my statement? How do you explain 10 different and contradictory explanations as to how the plastic feels and/or flys?

I will admit to exaggerating a touch, but think about it.....