Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 88 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
You don't think there is even a little truth to my statement? How do you explain 10 different and contradictory explanations as to how the plastic feels and/or flys?

I will admit to exaggerating a touch, but think about it.....
Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don’t have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don’t use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try’s a disc once and hates it that’s fine. As long as they don’t turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
These reviews of shimmer star sound a lot like my experience with swirled star TBs: generally OS and lack of glide. Swirled Star just doesn’t go that far. (Sample size 6 Nybo TBs, some 10x some 11x).

Does anyone know what the relation between shimmer star and Swirled star is? Shimmer looks a bit like G Star, which I haven’t loved either, for different reasons.
Shimmer is like taking the worst of Star and GStar and combining them.

Swirly Star (at least the sample size of several Leopard3 and Terns I possess) is firm like Star, sometimes really firm and slick like Champy-Star, and may have some of the material that Echostar was made out of. Swirly Star is not bad material.

My SS Terns are Hannah Leatherman Terns and were molded up to be more OS on purpose, per HL's request. The Swirly Star Leo3s fly a lot like regular Star and Champion Leo3s.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 354 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don’t have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don’t use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try’s a disc once and hates it that’s fine. As long as they don’t turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

That's the point I'm getting at.

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by jakebake91; 02-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 541 Times in 460 Posts

Quote:
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.
Could it be that Shimmer Star does not mold up the same ever?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 689 Times in 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Shimmer is like taking the worst of Star and GStar and combining them.
Well, but there's nothing bad about either plastic to combine.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 533 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:

I agree. It isn't worth arguing over. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on discs/plastic. Not everyone will have the same thoughts on what makes a disc great (or not).
Old 02-13-2019, 04:12 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Well, but there's nothing bad about either plastic to combine.
Yet they somehow managed to...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

SHOULD NOT HAVE NECRO'D THIS THREAD

Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 61 Times in 52 Posts

Threw one of my Shimmer Star 2019 Nybo today. I’ll have more rounds to go by later, but so far I’m liking it. It’s similar to my old PFN where it has a full 5 glide. It wasn’t hooking in on the fade at the end, more of a veering off into the 2 fade.. I couldn’t toss it beyond 315’ due to course limitations (wooded course).

Compared it to a (relatively new) Star Eagle and an (new) Icon Rival. Eagle was more stable and the Rival had less Glide. Hopefully I’ll have time to make it to longer course and toss it more this weekend.

Also - Gstar is the best plastic Innova makes, I contend anybody who thinks it’s floppy in the heat has never touched one in the heat (Source: From Texas, near the coast). ��
I fully concede they have a malleable flight plate.