#31  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 PM
HERB brooks HERB brooks is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Colorado
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 291
Niced 88 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
You don't think there is even a little truth to my statement? How do you explain 10 different and contradictory explanations as to how the plastic feels and/or flys?

I will admit to exaggerating a touch, but think about it.....
Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don’t have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don’t use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try’s a disc once and hates it that’s fine. As long as they don’t turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
I Don't Actually Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 7,865
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
These reviews of shimmer star sound a lot like my experience with swirled star TBs: generally OS and lack of glide. Swirled Star just doesn’t go that far. (Sample size 6 Nybo TBs, some 10x some 11x).

Does anyone know what the relation between shimmer star and Swirled star is? Shimmer looks a bit like G Star, which I haven’t loved either, for different reasons.
Shimmer is like taking the worst of Star and GStar and combining them.

Swirly Star (at least the sample size of several Leopard3 and Terns I possess) is firm like Star, sometimes really firm and slick like Champy-Star, and may have some of the material that Echostar was made out of. Swirly Star is not bad material.

My SS Terns are Hannah Leatherman Terns and were molded up to be more OS on purpose, per HL's request. The Swirly Star Leo3s fly a lot like regular Star and Champion Leo3s.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 554
Niced 354 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Innova is notorious for having inconsistency problems. Different runs will feel and fly differently, they don’t have endless supplies of the same plastic. They don’t use temperature controlled facilities to manufacture discs.

How does any of that info invalidate my point about sample size. The more variation across a mold the larger a sample size you need to draw a reasonable conclusion about a mold. If someone try’s a disc once and hates it that’s fine. As long as they don’t turn around and say that whole mold is useless. It would be like trying menudo once and then saying all Mexican food sucks.
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

That's the point I'm getting at.

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by jakebake91; 02-12-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,085
Niced 541 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

That's the point I'm getting at.

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.
Could it be that Shimmer Star does not mold up the same ever?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,828
Niced 689 Times in 481 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Shimmer is like taking the worst of Star and GStar and combining them.
Well, but there's nothing bad about either plastic to combine.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,779
Niced 533 Times in 422 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I'm not saying any one mold sucks. I'm saying that it's hard to discuss the merits of a plastic when not one person describes it the same. Person A hates it cuz it's floppy and tacky, another guy says it's stiff and slick, another that it's tacky and firm....

That's the point I'm getting at.

I never once said anything about a particular mold, and I agree it's silly to pass bad judgement after trying only disc of a particular mold.
I agree. It isn't worth arguing over. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on discs/plastic. Not everyone will have the same thoughts on what makes a disc great (or not).
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:12 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
I Don't Actually Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 7,865
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Well, but there's nothing bad about either plastic to combine.
Yet they somehow managed to...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 PM
ManU's Avatar
ManU ManU is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary Canada
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,118
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

SHOULD NOT HAVE NECRO'D THIS THREAD


Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #39  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 249
Niced 61 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Threw one of my Shimmer Star 2019 Nybo today. I’ll have more rounds to go by later, but so far I’m liking it. It’s similar to my old PFN where it has a full 5 glide. It wasn’t hooking in on the fade at the end, more of a veering off into the 2 fade.. I couldn’t toss it beyond 315’ due to course limitations (wooded course).

Compared it to a (relatively new) Star Eagle and an (new) Icon Rival. Eagle was more stable and the Rival had less Glide. Hopefully I’ll have time to make it to longer course and toss it more this weekend.


Also - Gstar is the best plastic Innova makes, I contend anybody who thinks it’s floppy in the heat has never touched one in the heat (Source: From Texas, near the coast). ��
I fully concede they have a malleable flight plate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shimmer Star Destroyers Troop0938 The Marketplace 3 03-30-2018 11:10 PM
Shimmer Star Destroyer Streets The Marketplace 6 02-08-2018 08:52 AM
CFR Course Fundraiser Discs - Shimmer Star Destroyers and Color Glow Leopard3s Matt B. The Marketplace 5 09-05-2016 11:50 AM
Shimmer Star Destroyer Custom Club crazykrug The Marketplace 5 04-19-2016 11:05 AM
Shimmer's Bag v2 Shimmer Bag Suggestions & Feedback 0 05-01-2014 01:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.