Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Seems it would also be a big contributor to expanding their market share and saving money on shipping to Europe and Asia.
This.

I like the idea. Evolution gets Discmania closer to their Finnish roots.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 69 Times in 34 Posts

I agree with someone else who posted that DM's brand seemed strong already, this feels like it will water their brand down, but I could be waaaay off. Still the most over-hyped DG news of the year. The countdown clock on IG for example, what a joke, this isn't game changing.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 202 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrihan View Post
I agree with someone else who posted that DM's brand seemed strong already, this feels like it will water their brand down, but I could be waaaay off. Still the most over-hyped DG news of the year. The countdown clock on IG for example, what a joke, this isn't game changing.
In the brewing industry, and I believe business in general, this is called diluting the brand. It is not always detrimental to the company, but more often than not it is.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,166 Times in 549 Posts

You want to be a global brand and you don't manufacture discs, it makes sense to partner with manufacturers in each continent to make your disc lines simply to reduce shipping cost. You're a manufacturer who wants to design (Dunipace, Tomas) and produce more discs, you partner to create separate lines for different brands. If brands like DD and Discmania (originally) want/need discs manufactured overseas, their discs probably need to be marketed/seen as a premium line or their shipping cost will be too high compared with brands made on their continent. If these brands want to offer lower cost lines of discs, they likely need to seek manufacturing on that continent for financial success. I think Jussi's announcement is much more important to inspire their international player team and serve notice to their brand competitors on different continents than it is for the typical player around the world.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 125 Times in 61 Posts

Dilution is in the eye of the beholder. It may get watered down in US, AND HIGHLY concentrated in the rest of the world. Have to see how the numbers come out, as a whole, to decide if it improved for the company
Old 02-14-2019, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 33
Niced 924 Times in 447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Seems it would also be a big contributor to expanding their market share and saving money on shipping to Europe and Asia.

Market share, perhaps.

The new manufacturers will only be molding their specific line ups.

PD's, FD's, etc. are still coming from the states.

So they will still need to ship those over.

And won't their customers in the US want the new molds?

So they will need to ship those over here.

Seems they will spend more on shipping.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,118 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
I know I am arguing somantics here, but I have seen this term a couple times this morning and it is being used incorrectly. Just FYI
Yeah that's fair. I think I just read into the tone or "wishful outcomes" of what people want to see happen for some reason. Not just a simple "I bet they're moving operations", but more of a "...oh big change now, what'll happen to Innova guys throwing P2's and Discmania guys who need Firebirds...big split between Dave and Jussi" out of nowhere.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,118 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Really, you think Trilogy has inferior plastic? Shocking. If only you said that even more frequently then maybe everyone would know you think Trilogy has inferior plastic. Just to clarify...do you think Trilogy has inferior plastic?
I'm pretty sure Horsman throws HARD, and Trilogy stuff does have a very quick initial break in. Then I think it holds steady. I can definitely see how for someone with big power this is a minus, although there are enough OS molds out in Trilogy lines that you can get around that.

For the more normal player, the Trilogy plastics break in in a way that they can actually see. Not like playing 25 days a month while throwing 65+MPH to break in champ plastic. Plus they have good hand feel for most and lots of the molds have good glide. So the properties I see big arms maybe not liking are also the properties that a lot of disc golfers want. I don't think "inferior" is the right term, but less stable/durable is true IME. That said I have lots of Trilogy molds in the bag and several have been in there for many seasons.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
Really? The two premium trilogy plastics that I’ve thrown seemed just as durable or maybe slightly even more durable than Innova premium plastics. I haven’t thrown a lot of trilogy, and I’m not that big of a fan (most of my bag is Innova) but the premium trilogy seems to really be able to take a beating. I guess you have had more exposure to all of the different brand plastics so you a probably better positioned to comment than I, but I’m still surprised.
Now overall quality when it comes to disc flight, Innova is much better IMO, with the caveat that you know what run you are looking for.
I bag a GL Saint and an Opto Core. Both every bit as durable as anything I throw.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 461 Times in 256 Posts

I hate quoting myself, but since we are talking about this in 3 threads already (2 of them in the DISCS subforum, hello!)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I truly believe the big deal is emerging markets in Europe and China/Asia and having a manufacturer in those regions, rather than a business move to try and make more money off the existing fanbase.