Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 130
Niced 161 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I sort of agree with both of you. The plastic quality in terms of taking a beating is top notch for sure. What I have noticed (career Destroyer thrower) is that the high speed distance drivers I've tried from LAT (BallistaPro/Giant) both had extremely fast cycle times. They went from pretty stable to pretty damn flippy within maybe a month of playing. I was playing with a sponsored pro the other day and when he was shopping sponsors over the off season he told me that he had a Trilogy offer, but too many of his pro peers he talked to told him that the discs "beat up to fast". That was my experience exactly, but with distance drivers. I have an old school pre emac Truth and Westside Sampo that have held their integrity wonderfully for a very long time. It may be more of the tooling on distance drivers than that plastic. To each their own, but I have certainly heard the "they beat up too quick" trope from a lot of high arm speed guys in reference to Trilogy plastic. That does not necessarily reference durability but flight integrity, and maybe that can be independent? I don't know. Given this pro gets his disc at no cost it was not about that, but he said as much as he throws a disc he was worried about having to cycle out drivers way too frequently and that could hurt consistency. Take it as you will, he chose another company. Plenty of elite talent throwing Trilogy stuff.
Being an older player (58), I don't throw high speed discs unless I'm throwing into a strong Texas wind. The high speed "issues" are not an issue for me. As for the drivers I use, such as a Striker vs a Valkyrie, I don't see any difference in wear at all in opto/champion or GL/Star. Of course I'm not a pro, I'm just a guy that actually buys discs. I've always liked Lat64 as much as Innova. I throw both of their molds regularly.

BTW, I buy those beat Giants, Halos and such for forehands. When they're too flippy for you, they're just right for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 21
Niced 334 Times in 145 Posts

Chuck and Flick touched on it in distribution, but whilst shipping cost is a factor shipping time and consistency of delivery is huge and I would expect to be one of the largest factors in the decision.

Here's a likely scenario:

In December Discmanias sales reps had gone into Budget/Intersport etc and sold them the new range of Discmania discs, or even a top up of their old range, stock levels in the warehouse won't be enough to cover.

Order placed in January for a new line of X discs from Innova for delivery to Europe.

At some point in the next month?,2,?, 3 months? that order is produced. (Do Innova prioritise a Discmania own discs order over their run of Innova discs to supply Walmart? I would expect Discmania orders to be pushed lower than core multiple retailer supply)

You then have to load up the container and ship it overseas and get through customs both ends. Best case this takes about a month, worst case for anyone that has been involved in international shipping can tell you, it's how long is that particular piece of string.

Sometime in March/April/May or even longer Discmania is actually able to fulfill the order they received way back in December.

Now imagine the same order was put through in May and the discs weren't received till after the summer months. In Scandinavia especially where I assume the vast majority of play is between March- October they've just lost nearly an entire years sales because of a supply chain logistics problem. they've not been able to react to business quickly.

One answer is for Discmania to overorder and sit on stock but then all profits are stuck in said stock.

Now with Latitude manufacturing 10 hours by road away that headache goes away. Shipping time is way down and Discmania can order regularly and in smaller quantities. Discmania are more likely then to be pushing their Evo plastics to the multiple retailers, who need consistency of supply whilst still importing Innova Discmania for individuals and pro shops who are more able/willing to wait.

Yikun is interesting as the new cross Russia rail service has reduced shipping times (currently around 35 days to that area of Scandinavia) to Europe by about half and cost increase per disc would be marginal. You also miss out on around a week either end of the shipping being lost to sitting in forwarder warehouses (more of an issue with LCL rather than full container load shipments) With these reduced potential shipment times and a cheaper plastic for the mass markets this will make a really good offering.

It's a very smart move for Discmania, for an individual player it's a bit underwhelming after all the hype.

One thing that does really intrigue me is the relationship between Innova and Innova Europe(Spin 18/Discmania) going forward. I'd be very concerned if my major distributor in a region had found other avenues of supply. Does he lose his focus on my business as a result? If his sales staff have the opportunity to put in Discmania EVO line into Budget Sport or Innova Discs which comes out of the sales bag first? (I've had this happen multiple times in other wholesale to retail industries and the answer is always yes and is eventually the kiss of death for the distribution agreement.)

Niced: (2)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,530 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
And is cereal technically soup?
Cereal is not. Cereal in milk? Debatable.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Innova is not teaming up with Lat 64.

Discmania is a customer of Innova. Innova makes a product for them.

I don't get why this is so confusing for people.
I "niced" your post to get you past 666 of them...

Old 02-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
The bolded part is the important bit. Your statement is correct, but in the business world you cannot transfer cash from one business that you own to another at will (an S-corp might work different).
Yep. Those in the Police business would call those cash transfers at will "money laundering".