Old 02-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,272 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Well, to be a little more up front, I don't like the interference rule at all as it relates to equipment. Players don't put things on the course for the purpose of gaining some advantage in the off chance that their disc might ricochet off something, or roll behind them, and hit their equipment and provide them with some advantage by mitigating the damage to their score from an errant shot. ...
But would they put things on the course for the purpose of gaining some advantage if there was not a rule against it?

I know I would.

It would just be part of the strategy; stupid not to. Not just to reduce risk on my throws, but to mess up other players' throws.

I am glad it is not allowed. That would not be a fun part of the game.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 18 Posts

Maybe no ambiguity but there is interpretation. "Interfere" does not equal "Touch" as pointed out in post #2. Lots more likely to interfere with your hand trying to move a mini versus letting a disc roll over it. I can't imagine a competitor that would consider penalizing someone because a rollaway touched their marker. It's interesting to analyze this original question but does anyone really think this is how the rule was intended & should be applied? The Q&A does not address this under Interference or Equipment. I'd like to see the Rules Committee look at this.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
You were saying that the vagueness should be clarified. As a I said above."I think it's intentionally vague. Leaving it as just "equipment" instead of a long list of items takes out the chances of missing something odd or unforeseen."

If the intention was your own discs and minis to not be considered in this, it would have been listed. As you said, it's not hard to add that exception. The fact it's missing leads to my interpretation that it's intentionally missing and therefore considered equipment.
You have very high expectations of the RC. There are way too many examples of rule updates having unforeseen consequences or wording that does not equate to the intention of the rules to make an assumption like that IMO. I think it is a 100 times more likely that the RC never thought of this possibility when formulating the rule.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Niced 40 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
But, if there is going to be an interference rule, it should apply to, at least, everyone in the thrower's group IMO. I could go for an exemption for those playing a different hole or waiting at the next, current or previous tee area.
Which would open up the possibility of the thrower intentionally throwing a disc at their opponents or their equipment. Would you like to rethink your position?

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Niced 338 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
It seems the instinctive thing to do was to snatch the marker out of the way. Why write a rule that goes against that? Is it worth the extra words and complication to make an exception to allow something that a lot of players think should not be allowed?
It wouldn't be my instinct and I have never seen anyone do similar. It was his reaction to it that made me think of this in the first place. I don't think the vast majority of players would see the marker as being equipment in this scenario. As IhearChains has argued you have no control over where to put that marker and there are a number of reasons you may not be able to move it before it is struck (showing balance/doubles play etc)

For me that marker is the same as any other player in the groups disc lying on the floor until the point your disc has stopped moving of it's own accord and then the marker should be removed from the playing area.

The rules dictate that you have to use some marker (thrown disc or mini) to mark your lie. There is no way you can then fairly be penalised for having followed the rules.

Last edited by rhatton1; 02-19-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 80 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
So, what of other players' discs laying in the fairway between the thrower and the target? Are those "equipment" that those players should be taking care to not be in a place where interference might occur? If I make a throw and my disc strikes my cardmate's disc, do I have a case for an interference call against him?......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
...Good question. It would seem adding “except discs in play” would be warranted..
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
The question is, are markers and discs in play treated the same as all other equipment?....
QA-INT-1 appears to be relevant to this issue:

Quote:
QA-INT-1: My disc was stuck in a tree far above two meters (with the two-meter rule in effect), when another player’s throw knocked it to the ground. Where is my lie, and am I subject to a two-meter penalty throw?

The disc is played relative to where it first came to rest. Since that was clearly above two meters, you are subject to a penalty throw just as if the disc had stayed in the tree. As for the player whose throw knocked your disc down, the interference rule does not apply when the interference is caused by a competitively thrown disc.
This seems to say that thrown discs can't interfere with each other. It still leaves the status of mini discs up in the air.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 124
Niced 861 Times in 460 Posts

I've seen people try to move equipment out of a discs way more times than I can remember. Some successful, some not. Never once have I seen a player try to move their mini out of the way.

If a mini counts as equipment, there would be constant penalties.

Imagine a 5 player card, and everyone is within 20 feet. Whoever putts first has a significant chance of hitting someone else's mini if they clank the putt. What are the other players supposed to do? They literally cannot, by the rules, move their mini before they throw.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I've seen people try to move equipment out of a discs way more times than I can remember. Some successful, some not. Never once have I seen a player try to move their mini out of the way.

If a mini counts as equipment, there would be constant penalties.

Imagine a 5 player card, and everyone is within 20 feet. Whoever putts first has a significant chance of hitting someone else's mini if they clank the putt. What are the other players supposed to do? They literally cannot, by the rules, move their mini before they throw.
There seems to be a theme repeated here that unintentional interference by a players equipment on another players throw results in a penalty. Where are you all seeing that?

The only penalty is for a player's equipment on their own throw. 810.F

Niced: (2)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 80 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
...Imagine a 5 player card, and everyone is within 20 feet. Whoever putts first has a significant chance of hitting someone else's mini if they clank the putt. ...
Side track: What's with retrieving your thrown disc and mini-marking it BEFORE it is your turn to putt? Not saying I think it's wrong, and I've seen it on tournament coverage, just wondering what the thinking behind it is?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Niced 338 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Side track: What's with retrieving your thrown disc and mini-marking it BEFORE it is your turn to putt? Not saying I think it's wrong, and I've seen it on tournament coverage, just wondering what the thinking behind it is?
Speed of play. Mark it before your turn whilst someone else is messing about, you can then just step to your lie and get on with it.