Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 351 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
What about this scenario: I want to tombstone my spike hyzer in the mud right next to the basket, but another player's marker (whether thrown disc or mini) is right where I am aiming. I don't want my throw to skip off plastic to an OB area.

Under the current rules, can I ask the player to remove their marker?

Should the rules allow me to ask the player to remove their marker?
What if I want to make a roller putt and ask you to use my specially designed (perfectly legal) marker because I've practiced with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

interfere: to interpose in a way that hinders or impedes : come into collision or be in opposition

I think touching something of yours, outside of the mini, is not enough to interfere with the throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 64
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
What about this scenario: I want to tombstone my spike hyzer in the mud right next to the basket, but another player's marker (whether thrown disc or mini) is right where I am aiming. I don't want my throw to skip off plastic to an OB area.

Under the current rules, can I ask the player to remove their marker?

Should the rules allow me to ask the player to remove their marker?
At some point, these very outlier "what ifs" take away from any semblance of logic when reading and applying rules

If someone was good enough to confidently tombstone at a spot by the basket the size of a disc or mini, why wouldn't they just throw it in the basket?

Old 02-20-2019, 04:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 21
Niced 40 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
No.That wouldn't be interference would it? If I throw at the basket, the basket doesn't "interfere" with my throw just because the disc hits it. If a player intentionally throws at anything and hits it, there is not interference by the object intentionally hit.
No because the basket is the target and part of the course. If you hit a tree, that tree didn't interfere either, because it is part of the course. Other players and their equipment isn't. And I'm allowed to throw the disc anywhere I want to. (though not at people or animals), so we would be back to arguing intent on the throwers part, which you cannot prove. Why should other players be penalized if my throw hits their (stationary) equipment, if I, as the thrower, didn't bother to ask them to move it? On the other hand, my equipment is my responsibility, and as the thrower, obviously it is also my responsibility to not hit my own equipment, as to not interfere with my disc.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

Marker disc is fine it should stay there incase you elect to re-putt.anything else should be moved. Imo

Old 02-26-2019, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 192
Niced 182 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
I don't see any wording that would exempt the marker. Also - as demonstrated in the video - it is possible to move it out of the way, and doing so does not violate any other rule.

I reject your CK-like extension of the treatment of other players' thrown discs to your own marker. Besides, the rules don't actually have special treatment for thrown discs in the equipment interference rules. Perhaps they should.

This new own-equipment rule was spawned from the expectation of a lot of pros. There was a phantom rule - which was widely, if not universally, enforced at the highest levels. That non-rule gave two penalty throws for allowing your thrown disc to hit your own equipment. The current rule was put in the rule book to kill the phantom rule. It specifically refers to a player's own equipment so that players who read the rule book know they have found the real rule, and don't assume the two-throw penalty rule is somewhere else in the book.
Quote:
It seems the instinctive thing to do was to snatch the marker out of the way. Why write a rule that goes against that? Is it worth the extra words and complication to make an exception to allow something that a lot of players think should not be allowed?

Good question. It would seem adding “except discs in play” would be warranted.

The throwers marker is different than thrown discs. While the marker needs to be in place when the throw is made, as soon as the disc is released there is no requirement to leave it there. You don’t get penalized for picking up your marker while the disc is still in flight.

So for now, getting your own marker out of the way is the way to go.

Now, to speculate about a better rule. If we make the exception for discs in play, it would make sense to also exempt a non-throwing player's marker from interfering with another player's throw. If we did that, it might make sense to also exempt the player's own marker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
I also agree that the rules should be written to give mini-markers special exemption from interference rules along with discs in play. I don't think they do as currently written.

But the bolded bits are not technically true, you are not REQUIRED to leave the mini in place after you have released your disc. Steve said it in #18, you can pick up your mini while the disc is in flight. For abandoned throws, you don't leave you mini on the ground, walk 250', check your new lie, and then walk back and get your mini. If you do abandon your throw, the groups agrees on the location of your previous lie. In the case of roll-away putts, that wouldn't be hard. And if anyone intends to call a stance violation they are required to do it promptly, and once it has been called, (deliberately) moving your mini to impede the process would be poor sportsmanship (cheating).

Leaving your marker in position can be beneficial at times, but the rules only REQUIRE the marker disc to be in position up to the point you have released your disc.

Minis, or markers ARE discs. They are explicitly named "mini marker discs" in 802.06B

Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 79 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Minis, or markers ARE discs. They are explicitly named "mini marker discs" in 802.06B
I'm being slow of brain here (it's late, I can't sleep), would you mind spelling out what the significance is here?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk