Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,414 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
I actually enjoy it when pro commentary offers insight into their own round and how they may have attacked a hole vs. what is seen in the coverage. Obviously, as with all things, it's better in moderation. It was a great balance in this coverage. Well done by both of you. Displayed a lot of knowledge about what pros were throwing and nice discussion about why they may have selected that disc for each shot.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I think you have a lot of effect on your cohost and get out the best of them. Way to make it super laid back and congenial while still having pertinent info on there.

I can see there was lots more reaction footage, whether PIP or just keeping the camera on the player longer. Really like it, brings much more emotion into it. And it doesnt really drag out the video either. As long as the nines are not much more than 30-mins.
TY! I feel like that's my goal. Do the play by play, and get as many gems out of the pros as I can.

Glad you guys like the reaction cam! Gonna do my best to have it as much as possible.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

O yeah, I talked to Paul. Starter Pack Challenge part 2 is happening!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,113 Times in 1,666 Posts

Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,256 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
O yeah, I talked to Paul. Starter Pack Challenge part 2 is happening!
What's the format? Are you doing a Discraft starter set? Me, I'm opting for a Discraft starter vs innova.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
What's the format? Are you doing a Discraft starter set? Me, I'm opting for a Discraft starter vs innova.
Looking like singles. Eagle is in too.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 204
Niced 38 Times in 10 Posts

Ian, I think the production value of your WTO coverage is as high as it's ever been! The reaction cam adds a good insight into the round that sometimes gets lost on drives--we usually only get the fist pump or head-in-hands on putts. Next level would be capturing talk between players, but good luck achieving usable material and integrating it in a reasonable timeframe.

As far as commentary, Eagle has historically been really good about knowing others' discs, remembering wind/groundplay conditions, and not inserting himself into the narrative when it's not warranted. You two have a good rapport. That said, a couple subtle changes that might give more pop and depth--

-Feeling underwhelmed by great shots. I think Eagle is so accustomed to executing high degree of difficulty shots, and you've seen plenty of them. Since it's sometimes hard to appreciate the nuances of holes or conditions on film in just a couple seconds of shots, it's great to expand on your mellow "annnnd parked" with an explanation of why angle or speed control, using the fairway width, or adjusting off another player's line makes the shot great.

-The McBeth forehand disc narrative. This was an area of speculation in the offseason anyway, since Paul's run through Firebirds, FD3s, and Destroyers over the last five years, all for roughly the same slot in his bag. Eagle did a good job pointing out that he's leaning on the Zone for forehand approaches now even for low ceilings (and that he threw a Force on 2, when he'd gone Tracker in earlier rounds, and isn't throwing the Raptor seemingly at all) instead of flexing a Destroyer, but there might have been a little more room to expand on these choices. In the same vein, Austin and Adam have also switched sponsors this offseason--any familiarity with how they've adjusted from discs they'd used in 2018 would be a nice touch.

-OBs--Paul went OB on 1 and 2 early in the final round, and neither was by much. 2, in particular, wasn't really a different or worse shot than the rest of the card, just a different result. Might have been interesting to call back to that at some point--all the strokes count the same, it's just that the later ones feel bigger. Additionally, on 17, Austin and Paul got different In/Out results at almost the same location, a huge momentum shift! Same kinda thing with spitouts, and how those stand up at this level when everything counts.

-The role of emotion and perceived momentum coming down the stretch. Austin's been doing the road warrior thing for the last couple years, but not usually as a late-tournament frontrunner. On round 3 somewhere around hole 12, y'all said Austin would be hard to catch with a six-stroke lead. On 15, he lost two strokes to Adam and Paul--the half-run on his third shot would have been a great time to evaluate (even before he threw) his lead vs. the possible outcomes/consequences to running or laying up with his two closest competitors already parked. Austin also looked SUUUPER tight on 16's tee shot--I had to say it out loud to myself even before he'd thrown. Nearly saved the 3 but lost a stroke to Adam. Then on 17, maybe there was some room to talk about laying up vs. running the island, and the relative risks. Did Adam and Paul getting on the island influence his decision?

-I think Eagle is uniquely positioned to provide these insights to the mental game and decisions/execution, since he has both failed and succeeded on large stages in late & close situations. Obviously, he can't project exactly what other players are experiencing, but offering a window into managing expectations and performance when the chips are down shows how crucial the mental side of the game is.

Thanks, appreciate your work and excited for more!

Niced: (2)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.8
Courses Played: 326
Niced 1,275 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Looking like singles. Eagle is in too.
It would be more scientific to rotate the starter sets among the players from hole to hole. Declare a winning starter set as well as a winning player.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
It would be more scientific to rotate the starter sets among the players from hole to hole. Declare a winning starter set as well as a winning player.
haha I appreciate your dedication to science, but that's a non-starter.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 237 Times in 144 Posts

Ian, I appreciate that you check in here and actually read feedback. Here's mine if you care:

You and Corey were a good team. But adding at least one of the pros makes it FAR more enjoyable for me. Jomez has been my preference in the past mostly because of their more regular use of pros for commentary. Eagle was awesome on these vids(and the two of you worked very well together). I'd love to hear more from him in the future.

My only real gripe in the past has been over-use of "catchy" words/phrases- the only example springing to mind right now is "accurate". I didn't notice any of that this tournament and I appreciated that. I know it's nit-picky, but there it is if you care to hear/read it.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,113 Times in 1,666 Posts