Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Target Golf???

a local ball golf course has contacted my girlfriend and i about possibly starting up a monday night league. course is decently mapped out to convert to disc golf and they've even offered to still rent carts which i can tell you through experience is fun as hell to have while golfing, both ball and disc. the only problem currently is that the course doesnt want to dish out cash for baskets unless they know, the turnout is going to be good. i was thinking for at least the first couple nights, play old school target golf. I've seen wood 4x4s used but does anyone know if something else could be used? what are the specs said target needs to be? and does anyone know the exact rules of target golf, where it must hit on target, etc.?

thanks for the help,

tj

p.s. not sure if this is in the right forum. sorry to the mods if its not

also for those interested, my location is not shelby twp anymore. im up at college so im in mt pleasant. Riverwood Golf resort is where this is all taking place. So if you're around here on mondays, come try out leagues.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by teejw13; 08-29-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im just throwing out ideas, I dont really have a clue about where you live or anything, I am from Ohio.

Is it possible to team up with a local retailer and get them to supply some portable baskets on rent/loan? It could be good exposure for their store... just an idea...
Old 08-29-2008, 04:00 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i thought of that before but unfortuantely there are no disc gold retailers anywhere near here. kinda sucks when you lose a disc cause there aren't any places up here to replace them really.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32
Courses Played: 241
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

If you do go for target you can do the poles or 2x4's in the ground with paint marks for a goal area.

However, there is a better alternative.

You do realize that the resale value of baskets on ebay is pretty darn good. So if they buy the baskets and set it up and the whole thing goes bust, they should re-coop most of what they spend. I would buy the lock up kind and they can always sell them to another park who is setting up a course as a package deal. You may have to do some research on selling them as a group vs individual, but I would think you could still get most of what you spent back. This is just an idea. Again, I keep mentioning this, but don't forget to at least ask local businesses if they could help fund a hole or 2 to help the costs also.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

You could simply mark objects which are already on the course ie trees , garbage cans, poles etc. That's where the name object golf comes from. You could mark a target zone on each object or depending on size have anywhere on the target be legal. The biggest problem with objects is determining if a disc actually hit the target. Be prepared to deal with that.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Albert Schweitzer course in Cali is an all object course. You could ask the guys who reviewed it what the objects look like. I've been there but it was back in 94. I think they were just 4x4's that were marked at about the point of what a normal basket sweet spot would be.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...d=633&mode=rev

Are there a lot of disc golfers in the area? If so you might be able to round up 18 baskets from them and use them for occasional rounds.

There also used to be a manufacturer of a basket alternative that was a lot less expensive called the "Tube Tone". I'm not sure if they're still around though.

http://www.recmanagement.com/prodsho...i=200507&gp=99

Last edited by johnt1969; 08-30-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to disc-o maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1969 View Post
Albert Schweitzer course in Cali is an all object course. You could ask the guys who reviewed it what the objects look like. I've been there but it was back in 94. I think they were just 4x4's that were marked at about the point of what a normal basket sweet spot would be.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...d=633&mode=rev

Are there a lot of disc golfers in the area? If so you might be able to round up 18 baskets from them and use them for occasional rounds.

There also used to be a manufacturer of a basket alternative that was a lot less expensive called the "Tube Tone". I'm not sure if they're still around though.

http://www.recmanagement.com/prodsho...i=200507&gp=99
prospect park disc golf course in new york is also an object course and most of the holes are 3 foot brown pipes that stick up from the ground and you have to hit it with the disc.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for all the help and imput. its greatly appreciated. were looking into prob 4ft lengths of pvc pipes that can be hammered into the ground. hopefully it'll have a big turn out so the course will purchase baskets in the near future. thanks again

tj