Old 01-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default D Series

Since most the Prodigy driver threads were deleted I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about the D series. Im interested in how the D1 flies and how the D4 would work as a roller? I also love how the D2 flies, perfect combination of speed and overstability.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

With prodigy, the drivers are so varied that it's really hard to say what you're gonna get unless you know what to look for (I don't). If you can find a D1 that flies like they're supposed to (I've heard the blue ones are pretty good?), you're probably looking at something between a fresh champ boss and an XCal in terms of stability, but they've got enough glide to still be a viable disc for distance. D4's have the same problem with consistency, with some being pretty stable with 0 turn, but I don't think you'd have much trouble finding one thats pretty understable, and if you can't roll it at first, they beat in quickly enough that that's a viable route to take.

I agree about the D2 as well, great disc.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 90
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

D5 is the way to go if you want a roller
Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a blue production run 400s D1 and it flies as should. I also have a orange 400G D2 and it flies as should also. I ordered a 400G D3 and a 400s D4, so I haven't got to test them yet. You are best off getting the production runs as they are the most consistent. stay away from the proto and first runs.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 443 Times in 343 Posts

I've only really thrown D1 D2....but I now have a D1,D3,D4,D5.....I liked the D2, but I wanted a little more stability for situations, so I traded it for a D1. I did hear that D series were inconsistent. But I got rid of the Protos and now have Stock/Production run D series. They seem to look and feel better and I'd imagine will fly like they are described. My D1 is G my D3-5 are S....G is a lil stiffer to allow more reliable stability.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 98
Niced 81 Times in 54 Posts

The D3 is an interesting mold. In the 400S plastic, it flies straight to slightly understable for me. In the 400G plastic, it flies straight'ish to slightly overstable. The 400G D3 has been one of the big surprises for me coming out of the 2013 year. I was very skeptical of anything Prodigy, but the 400G D3 knocked it out of the park. It flies like a nice and stable Star Destroyer, only faster and with a touch more glide. I don't really carry any Prodigy, only because I don't like their prices and how the company carries themselves. But if you like Prodigy, checkout the 400G D3.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 443 Times in 343 Posts

yeah I've got a D3 in G and S. Haven't thrown it much because of the cold and 2 ft snow here. But From what I've gathered, It's going to be a game changer
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been carrying a 168g Proto 400S D4 for flips, tailwinds and turnovers, and a 168g production run 400G D2 for headwinds and hyzers. I've not experienced the fabled Prodigy inconsistency, not that there isn't any, just that the only issue I've come across is some excessive flashing.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 149
Niced 57 Times in 19 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts on how the D3 and D4 would fly for someone who throws distance drivers ~350?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 72
Niced 26 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on how the D3 and D4 would fly for someone who throws distance drivers ~350?
A production run D4 will fly very nicely in a mid to low weight. Ive found that a lot of them are heavier than the written weight, so scale them if you can. Otherwise buy a lower written weight and assume its 1-2 grams heavier.

The 3 will fly stable to overstable with a slight turn, unless into a HW in which case, it will turn quite a but. But thats any disc.

So far as i can tell, the D1 production runs are higher plh than most protos and FRs, however i own a production run that has a low plh. The higher plh ones ive thrown are nasty overstable, comparable to a pd2. But their wing is shaped in a way that makes it pretty sensetive to release angle, so keep it on its plane.

The D2, in general doesnt have this problem. Its nose is more blunt. In G plastic its very overstable, in reg 400 its still overstable but just not quite as OS as the G plastic. The D2 is a really nice disc imo. For some reason the ice clears are flippy?? Not sure why.

The D3 and D4 seem to have the most variance from player to player. Some of it is for sure a manufacturing issue, but i think a good bit of it is just the difference in players throwing ability from one player to another.

I have had D4 that were stable to overstable, i have had D4 that would only turn. It reminds me of a wraith, in the way that, some people throw them as HW drivers and some people throw them for stable to understable drivers, the wraith has a lot of variance in stability. Most stable to understable drivers will vary more, because it is supposed to fit in such a niche flightwise, any change in the manufacturing process is gonna make it fly different (more so than a very OS or very US mold) maybe not to the players liking. So my advice for the D4 and D3 are to ask other people how theirs are flying, what weight and relative plh it is and search out the ones that fit the description of the desired flight.