Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 PM

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the idea of a final 9 for divisions that can bring out a gallery is a good idea. I think it is a good way to publicize the sport to outside spectators. (It is a good deal easier to follow 9 holes of good golf than 18 with everyone playing, even the guy that hasn't made a putt all day)

I also like the idea of having the final 9 played on a "safari" type setup. This allows for big shots for the gallery. I know that some of the top pros are not fans of this idea because of how difficult it is to practice those holes during the week. However, in my mind, everyone has the same difficulties with practicing that particular layout.

I would be interested to see if there is often a large scoring shift in these final nines. If there is not, I think the exhibition factor really does a lot to let people inside and outside of the sport see how the best golfers do things differently. If the TD can stay away from the action and get scores calculated and payouts figured. (Maybe even talk to any local media outlets they have invited out?) the final 9 is a great distraction as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only final 9 I saw in person was a safari final 9 for the Open men. There were a few out of town guys, and the crowd was huge. It was a lot of fun to watch.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 8
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The only thing I really like about Final 9's is the safari holes. Some of them can be quite good and provide some amazing shots. In terms of actual tournament play, it's weird that only the top 4 or 5 people play and get that opportunity for further scoring changes.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default final nine

I myself enjoy the final nine. I love playing events and love watching the top arms play.

kind of hard when your at an event to enjoy the top players, when im just trying to not take a 12 on a hole.

I would love to see a mixed of final nine. Something like worst player ie. me vs top pro for final nine with a few flip the drive and muligan cards.

Last edited by hellbound; 05-07-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: stupid me did not like the wording
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,248 Times in 762 Posts

i hate waiting around for the open final 9 to finish when i know i placed to get a prize. some of us have **** to do
Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 204
Niced 55 Times in 21 Posts

KC Wide Open Final 9 is great. They play a slight variant / safari at Swope with the top 4 MPO and top 3 FPO playing on the same card. The ladies always go first. If the weather cooperates the gallery is huge. Big gallery means lots of eyeballs which translates into sponsorship exposure.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

There are times I have stuck around to watch Final 9's and there are times I have just gone home. I really do like the concept of a final 9 and think that it adds some fun and intruige. I have watched final 9's at worlds and even played in one while playing Advanced. Most TD's will let you have your prize if you want, so if you don't want to wait around, don't. I think the final 9 is a great showcase for the sport, however they decide to do it.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,459 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bencybul View Post
I also like the idea of having the final 9 played on a "safari" type setup. This allows for big shots for the gallery. I know that some of the top pros are not fans of this idea because of how difficult it is to practice those holes during the week. However, in my mind, everyone has the same difficulties with practicing that particular layout.
One difficulty is when locals know and have played the safari holes, while out-of-towners have not. Not so much for a higher-tier event, where players may arrive a few days in advance, but most tournaments aren't higher tiers.

One drawback to a final 9 is when a player has a commanding lead going into it. 9 holes isn't enough to change the outcome, unless the leader totally collapses, and it really takes the drama out of it.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

most smaller tournaments around here do not have a final 9 but some of the larger ones do. i had a blast following the top pros this past weekend at the tour de richmond and i think the pros playing had fun too.

big crowd.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bencybul View Post
I think the idea of a final 9 for divisions that can bring out a gallery is a good idea. I think it is a good way to publicize the sport to outside spectators. (It is a good deal easier to follow 9 holes of good golf than 18 with everyone playing, even the guy that hasn't made a putt all day)
This makes little to no sense. I do not like Final 9's. In my experience the player who was leading going into the Final 9 wins anyways, but it takes a whole lot longer to get to that same conclusion.

I have yet to see a Final 9 drawing any new spectators beyond the golfers that didn't make the cut. It does nothing to "publicize" the sport to the outside spectators.