Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,072 Times in 721 Posts

yeah its more about hitting the lines accurately at a max D then trying to push out something faster.

I can throw a putter 330-350 and a 12ish speed driver only 100' further if im lucky. My vector midrange goes all of 325' but play with many people who it might not be realistic for them and nothing wrong with them pulling out a faster disc to land under the basket if that is what works.

If you want to become a "big" thrower you will need to learn to throw all of your discs far. If you are looking for "easy" distance most of the companies make discs which are very high speed but provide a beginner with some added distance due to the very understable designs. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quoting you guys to get your attention, other help would be nice too.

So today I played 18 holes with what you guys had told me in mind.. I used my TeeBird with a power grip, versus usually using higher speed drivers (Tern) with a "two finger under disc" grip. Well, it was demoralizing to say the least

Yesterday when I was throwing in a field it seemed alright, but today I got hardly near as distance as I usually do. This isn't a big deal, what was the most annoying was at least half of the times I would just hold onto the disc for too long (using a different grip is the problem here, not the disc) and it would just shoot far right into trees or something at a place I wasn't even trying to throw it at. It was like the disc was glued to my hands, and I kept throwing way too late. The grip just felt awkward.. Is it really that important to be throwing with a power grip vs. the grip that I usually throw with? Another thing is that I returned my Katana for an Eagle which I didn't use yet, and I saw on a chart at the store that the TeeBird is for "advanced" players. Is it really okay for a rookie like me to be using that? Or does advanced just mean it'll punish you for poor form more often?

Also, the sidearm shots with the TeeBird weren't successful either. I was alot more accurate/ got alot more distance with my sidearm Boss shot.. while when I was using my TeeBird it would actually go to the left waaaay too much before turning back right at the very end - which at that point it was far left anyway when I was meaning for it to go far right like my Boss usually does.

Lastly, I used my Mako alot more, which worked just like it usually does. However, early on I still was using a power grip for short-medium range shots with the Mako. Someone told me you're not supposed to use the powergrip unless for drives. Is he right?

Sorry I'm addressing alot of things here, but please respond to each thing
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

If the power grip doesn't work for you, don't use it. I can't throw with a power grip, I use the stack grip like Feldberg or Climo. Do a youtube search on grips, you might get some ideas. Experiment, there is no perfect grip for everyone, only a perfect grip for you, try some others,

When doing a major change, do field work, don't go and play until you have some confidence in any new style or discs. Remember, this is a process, it isn't going to happen over night, frustration is part of the game when retooling.

Teebird is fine, you don't need to be advanced to throw one.

You're probably rolling your wrist when you forehand, that's why the Teebird is going left and hence why your boss wasn't, it was masking your flaws. Practice forehanding your Mako until you can get it to fly straight. Think of skipping a stone when you throw, follow through with palm up, focus on short flicks first, the distance will come easily when you get the feel.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
If the power grip doesn't work for you, don't use it. I can't throw with a power grip, I use the stack grip like Feldberg or Climo. Do a youtube search on grips, you might get some ideas. Experiment, there is no perfect grip for everyone, only a perfect grip for you, try some others,

When doing a major change, do field work, don't go and play until you have some confidence in any new style or discs. Remember, this is a process, it isn't going to happen over night, frustration is part of the game when retooling.

Teebird is fine, you don't need to be advanced to throw one.

You're probably rolling your wrist when you forehand, that's why the Teebird is going left and hence why your boss wasn't, it was masking your flaws. Practice forehanding your Mako until you can get it to fly straight. Think of skipping a stone when you throw, follow through with palm up, focus on short flicks first, the distance will come easily when you get the feel.
Just experimented with some shots. The palm-up follow through actually helped alot!

Wen't back to trying some RHBH throws with my old grip.. and again kept on throwing alot of anny's. After more and more throws, I tried to focus on keeping the disc closer to my body during my throw which actually helped me get some pretty good throws.

Thanks for the help