Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New player and bag suggestions...

So this weekend I picked up a few discs with my dad and brother to go play during the weekend.. I got a boss distance driver, champion mamba, and champion aviar putter. After being on this forum I realize I should not have gotten the discs that I did. Keep in mind I mostly got these because they look pretty cool! (How could you pass on a disc bragging the world distance record? Especially being a beginner.) Anyways, I had a great time playing during the weekend. I then started watching videos on how to get better and came upon this site. From what I've read the boss wasn't the way to go..(even though it looks awesome). With that being said I didn't throw it that bad hitting pretty much every fairway I used it on.. My putter was fine and I really like the feel and weight not sure if it's good or bad. The mamba was good for forehands that I wanted to anheizer. I knew the basics of the game going in so I wasn't terrible but had so much fun I want to play more and better. My dad has some old eagle drivers and a valkyrie or two. My question is even though I wasn't playing bad with the discs I had should I change my setup? Really want to try to keep the new discs in the bag since they were just bought even if it was tax free weekend. Thanks in advance for any replys!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 75 Times in 33 Posts

Greetings!

This thread is pretty much the most recommended on all of DGCR:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=32790

I would seriously just try to follow @garublador's advice. Start with your putter, a pro-d Buzzz or DX Roc, a Cheetah, and a Banshee. If your dad will let you use the old Eagles, then that may be a good choice also.

Once you have some fundamentals down, you will throw the Boss much better. Keep in mind that this advice is only pertinent if you want to develop a good foundation. If you just want to go out there and have fun, then just grab your Aviar and Boss and go for it!

Welcome to DGCR!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:02 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,539 Times in 1,197 Posts

I'm not a big fan of garu's post, as most here know.

You didn't post any distances you were throwing. My recommendation would be to try that Valkryie and see if it does as well or better than what you have. You can leave the Boss for the time being and resolve to work into it. (Blizzard Boss... you'll get there). Just work on your form and technique, watch videos on that, then practice and you'll start getting better.

Another good disc to try is the TL, (it's old name is Teebird-L).

Once you have that Valk flying good, try the Mamba... if it turns over (i.e. goes right for right-hand-back-hand, or RHBH), then try the Boss again.

Above all else, don't take advice saying "don't throw a Boss until you can throw a Leopard 350 ft." or some such BAD advice. If everyone followed such bad advice, we'd have almost no disc golf players left because the vast majority of players would give up out of sheer frustration. Once you get your form down, if the Boss is giving you extra distance, by all means go for it.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 75 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I'm not a big fan of garu's post, as most here know.

You didn't post any distances you were throwing. My recommendation would be to try that Valkryie and see if it does as well or better than what you have. You can leave the Boss for the time being and resolve to work into it. (Blizzard Boss... you'll get there). Just work on your form and technique, watch videos on that, then practice and you'll start getting better.

Another good disc to try is the TL, (it's old name is Teebird-L).

Once you have that Valk flying good, try the Mamba... if it turns over (i.e. goes right for right-hand-back-hand, or RHBH), then try the Boss again.

Above all else, don't take advice saying "don't throw a Boss until you can throw a Leopard 350 ft." or some such BAD advice. If everyone followed such bad advice, we'd have almost no disc golf players left because the vast majority of players would give up out of sheer frustration. Once you get your form down, if the Boss is giving you extra distance, by all means go for it.
Two methods for a foundation:
A) Logically sound, constructive, focused
B) Throw whatever

I'll choose "A" every time. I'm not sure why you are not a big fan of garu's post, but it is well thought out and easily followed. It builds solid skills and develops a way of thinking about discs that is very helpful down the road. It teaches you to start shaping lines and not relying on the discs to do all the work.

I am not a literalist, so when I read his post, I can see the logic and tailor it to my situation. It sounds like you might be taking it too literally. Do you see the point he was trying to make?

I apologize if this takes the thread off on a tangent. I just don't understand the argument against at least considering garublador's advice.