Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 423 Times in 291 Posts

Just picked up a pair of Reebok Crossfit ATs. SUPER light and breathable, great tread that still feels solid on concrete (unlike some other "gripped" shoes I've had) and they were on sale for $25!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Just picked these from Menard's for $30:

The tag that lists the features on the shoe specifically says "Waterproof Liner."
They pretty much fit and feel as good as my Merrell Moabs...at less than ⅓rd the price. I probably won't wear them until spring, but hard to go wrong at that price.

Also picked these up for less than $20 for winter and muddy spring thaw conditions:

Both pairs of boots seem pretty well constructed. Interested to see how well they work out.

FWIW, my Moabs are a 9.5 wide, and the size 10 hiker fits me nicely, so I'd say it runs pretty close to true to size, perhaps a tad on the smallish size.

The insulated boots definitely run larger... got those in a 9, and they're still a bit roomy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hikers.jpg (22.0 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg winter boot.jpg (18.7 KB, 631 views)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 11-28-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like playing in my Solomon fell raisers but I feel like the tees are really rough on the aggressive treads(that are perfect for every other throw). Mostly I wear Patagonia Fitz sneaks. They are my favorite shoe ever. Look cool, super durable, comfy. Flat soled, but they grip tees unless it's wet. Unfortunately they were discontinued (along with the entire Patagonia footwear line), but I have a brand new pair in my closet. My two worn pairs (1 and 2 years old respectively) are pretty much in the sweet spot, oldest has some wear on the inside of the heel from not untying my shoes when I took them off. I probably won't break out the fresh pair for at least two more years. I'll prolly go for Solomons with less aggressive tread after that.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those reeboks look like they are trying really hard to be Solomons.(with the color scheme) new balance has been doing that too in the last couple years
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts

So this past season I used these http://obozfootwear.com/mens/low-hik...tooth-low-bdry

They were semi waterproof and somewhat comfortable. The support was good. Getting a shoe like that is an attempt to get something rugged that will last longer. Well 8 months later the shoe itself looks and feels fine when I put it on it feels ok, but the soles are done. I messed my back up by not listening to my body telling me the shoes had no more support left. So for this coming next season I am eyeballing these http://www.amazon.com/SCARPA-Mens-Ze...24A8YHCRMFWC0Q

When I bought the Oboz I tried on the scarpa Crux's which is more of a true approach/hybrid climbing shoe and I could not believe how comfortable it was. I was going to buy them but they told me the rubber on those was not as durable as normal hiking soles(vibram). So I did not get them. This year I am going scarpa, if you get a chance try some on, they are so comfortable.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Update: The Hikers don't leak like a siv, but don't keep my toes as dry as my Keens do.
But they're cheap, comfy, seem reasonably sturdy, and keep me drier than unlined/non treated hikers.

The Pac boots seem pretty bullet proof, but feel a bit odd at the bottom of my shin... dull ache after few hours of walking. Maybe I just need to get used to a boot that goes up that high and/or break them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Just picked these from Menard's for $30:

The tag that lists the features on the shoe specifically says "Waterproof Liner."
They pretty much fit and feel as good as my Merrell Moabs...at less than ⅓rd the price. I probably won't wear them until spring, but hard to go wrong at that price.

Also picked these up for less than $20 for winter and muddy spring thaw conditions:

Both pairs of boots seem pretty well constructed. Interested to see how well they work out.

FWIW, my Moabs are a 9.5 wide, and the size 10 hiker fits me nicely, so I'd say it runs pretty close to true to size, perhaps a tad on the smallish size.

The insulated boots definitely run larger... got those in a 9, and they're still a bit roomy.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 233
Niced 1,170 Times in 538 Posts

http://http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-mid-waterproof/16281M.html?dwvar_16281M_color=J88623#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&prefn1=bestFor&prefv1=Backpacking%7CHiking& start=1
Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 33
Niced 924 Times in 447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Just picked up a pair of Reebok Crossfit ATs. SUPER light and breathable, great tread that still feels solid on concrete (unlike some other "gripped" shoes I've had) and they were on sale for $25!

I would love to find something like this but with more toe protection.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 499 Times in 283 Posts

A buddy of mine swears this was the best accidental investment he has made.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Boot/40646953
He bought these as a stop gap but says they have held up much better than he would have expected and the price means if you have to replace them, no big deal. Obviously they are not waterproof, but work really well for dry or (according to him) light dew. The one thing he says they could use is a pair of inserts and then would be great. These are not going to last multiple seasons (I doubt personally) but for nice days, this seems like a decent shoe especially for the price.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 134 Times in 94 Posts

i use vasque juxt or vibram fivefingers for summer.

i use vasque snowburban for fall/winter/spring or mickey mouse boots if it's really ****ing cold, like today.

the juxt aren't waterproof; the vibrams dry out so fast that i don't care - i'm not wearing socks in them anyway. great water shoes if you have to go in, imo. the VFF get things like sticks caught between the toes and it can rip the seams or the soles away from the fabric - other than that, however, they are extremely durable. the juxt are okay.

snowburban and mickey mouse boots are both waterproof and quite warm. durability, i dunno, but they work.