Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
The Star is considerably more stable, almost overstable, on both high and low speed ends. Because of its harsh fade, it consistently came up over 30 feet shorter than my Champions. It best the Star is good for high snap/ torque situations like forehand shots. The Air Force Champions are likely going to be the truest to the GStar. More than enough stability where it will not do anything stupid on you, but it will hold a true line almost all the way to the ground. The issue is that most of these Air Force Champions run about 20 to 30 dollars. Regular Champion takes some beating in but eventually they fly the same way. I never liked DX. It just did not fit right in my hand. It felt shallower, making it more difficult to grip, but I have no way of backing it up that they were actually shallower.
Air force? Are you talking about the team stamped Thunderbirds? I've never seen one available to regular joe's.....but I never really browse ebay, etc....
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 423 Times in 291 Posts

I have a flat top Metalflake (with TONS of flake-age) that is an OS beast! This thing hooks up like a 2nd run PD! It's a great flex or FB replacement, but doesn't even come close to replacing a G* TB.

I'd honestly recommend looking into a C-CD2 from Discmania for the best replacement (very underrated disc) or a Lucid Escape from Dynamic.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 342 Times in 213 Posts

I would love a Thunderbird like that. My MF is not very OS
Old 03-20-2016, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstick333 View Post
Air force? Are you talking about the team stamped Thunderbirds? I've never seen one available to regular joe's.....but I never really browse ebay, etc....
I am talking about the Team Stamped Air Force ones. There are always a few popping up on eBay and whatnot. For better or worse, the prices are driven almost strictly on color and stamp foil. All of them new are like seasoned regular champs.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 124
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superium

My Color glow thundie is my favorite feel and flight wise. The flight is in between a gstar and champ and just go dead straight and reliable in a headwind. Has that nice champy star blend feel as well.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 241
Niced 57 Times in 31 Posts

Thinking about trying a Thunderbird. Sorry for the old bump but better than making a new thread. Anywho I really want a fast, slightly overstable driver for consistent hyzer throws, even in low headwinds. I'm guessing champ would be best for keeping the flight from going to straight too soon which would overlap with discs I'm throwing now. Is this thing overstable enough in pro or star to maintain that flight or should I get something slightly more overstable in anticipation of a break in?

Currently throw lots of fairway drivers, I throw in the 300-320 range. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

I bag a star and a G* and the star is plenty OS. feels like a new star TeeBird but longer. I tend to use mine for FH as well cause it holds its stability. I haven't tried a champ yet but reading through the earlier posts, it seems like Star is more OS than champ tends to be. I love my Star one

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

I have the Halloween Gstar Thunderbird that I only use in October which is least stable of the ones I own. I have a stable champ also but the one I use most is a DX. Very straight for 85% of flight with a slight fade on straight power shots, nice strong fade on a hyzer angle. I agree, very stiff in DX & has not worn hitting trees.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 241
Niced 57 Times in 31 Posts

Yeah been thinking about a DX, and a Star. Thanks guys!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,127 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybizz View Post
Yeah been thinking about a DX, and a Star. Thanks guys!
Ok so I have not thrown those plastics...only champ and glow champ...but the consensus has been that they both start off more OS than champ (and people have complained the stars are OS and dumpy). If you are throwing fairways 300-320' then I think a champ would be a nice OS control driver for you, I don't feel like they show hint of turn until 350' or so, which gives you some confidence in wind at your distances. My experience with the champs is that it would be good for what you say you want, unless you don't like champ plastic, or also want a good DX blend to get worked in.