Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
As for flight numbers, I wonder sometimes why they don't reflect the plastic it's molded up in. Even a slightly beat in TP King turns into a flip roller at ~300 of power. I would put the TP version at 14 5 -3 2 once it gets thrown a dozen times. The VIP and Elasto don't do that and stay much more stable. Anyone who throws Trilogy plastic will tell you that there is a significant difference between Opto/GL or VIP/TP plastics - especially with even a little seasoning on them.
I know people keep saying this, but it is not the case in my experience. i agree that the GL beats in a bit faster, but the original stability is not affected by plastic (premiums only) all that much.

In my bag the GL is actually always the more OS. This applies in my case to Truth, Hatchet, Saint Pro, Trespass, King and Enforcer.

So Im not saying GL will be more os, but I dont think you can make that claim for Opto either. Weight for example has much more effect on it.

Ps. Ive been throwing only Trilogy for two years now.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 438 Times in 340 Posts

They should really stop with this speed 14 business. I say work in the speed 10-11 range, those discs are $$ just overlooked. I still love the Orc and Starfire , there are enough speed 12-13 stuff, really no need for "14" I think but...meh, I liked the King
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
They should really stop with this speed 14 business. I say work in the speed 10-11 range, those discs are $$ just overlooked. I still love the Orc and Starfire , there are enough speed 12-13 stuff, really no need for "14" I think but...meh, I liked the King
The Speed is just a number really. The Kings, Giants and whatnot would all be Speed 13 if they'd be Innova molds.

The bigger question is, whether there is a real use in disc golf for 2.5mm rims or should the 2.3mm be enough.

On the other hand, Speed sells so there's no blaming these companies for making a product that has a demand.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post

Orc does not get enough love. That disc is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I know people keep saying this, but it is not the case in my experience. i agree that the GL beats in a bit faster, but the original stability is not affected by plastic (premiums only) all that much.

In my bag the GL is actually always the more OS. This applies in my case to Truth, Hatchet, Saint Pro, Trespass, King and Enforcer.

So Im not saying GL will be more os, but I dont think you can make that claim for Opto either. Weight for example has much more effect on it.

Ps. Ive been throwing only Trilogy for two years now.

Anecdotal of course. But all not optos for the most part start off a bit more stable than my GLs. That said, I agree with you on the Hatchets alone. Both TPs are less stable than both my VIPs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 138 Posts

The world in opto is consdierably more os than tourney-no if and or buts.

But I have an opto saint pro that is less stable than my goldline pop tops.

It seems the gold line and opto plastic can be very similiar both feel and looks on certain runs.

For me, I know that if I'm holding a pop top Saint Pro it will be os regardless of plastic type.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 23
Niced 42 Times in 30 Posts

I am really struggling to find a trilogy mold that is more OS in GL/TP.

Every TP disc that I also own a VIP version of, the TP gets significantly more beat in/US than the VIP. Not even close. Kings in particular. I only have a 325' arm, and I have to give my buddy an extra 170g TP King that I ended up with because I literally couldn't throw it without it flipping over like an Underworld... and I already have the UW in my bag so...

Obviously things like cooling/pop or no pop-top and weight have an impact as well... and it's not just the Trilogy stuff, but all of it. These manufacturers are putting out different plastic blends, often with vastly different properties, and they just slap the same set of numbers on it. It's no wonder that half the DG community is confused/frustrated by it, and the other half just ignores the numbers (B/C they really don't mean squat) and we've now gotten to a place where there are SO MANY discs and plastics that it's overwhelming to even a seasoned DG'er trying to figure out their next disc purchase.

One possible solution would be to have an independent, PDGA-sanctioned testing body assign the numbers to the discs when they are approved. Letting the manufacturers assign their own numbers just starts to fall under the category of "creative marketing tricks" after a while.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on my 3rd culverin, all 3 have had drastically different stability levels.

First one was slightly flippy, would always stable out at end of flight, went missing on course.
Second is very flippy, breaks right on a RHBH throw and barely fades back at all.
Third has no high speed turn and dumps off to the left, much like my gstar boss.

All 3 are opto, all 3 are 168 - 175 gram, the 3rd and most OS one being 175.

Weight seems to play a huge role in trilogy disc stability, but you do lose a point or two of HSS when you go with gold, half that with recycled and gain a point or two with frost line.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 113
Niced 33 Times in 18 Posts

They should have saved that name for a short, straight, Banshee like fairway. 2 squares forward, 1 square left. Especially if they're going to use the image of the chess piece in the stamp

Old 04-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 51
Niced 206 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
Trilogy where the stability is made up and the numbers don't matter.
For anything over speed 5, I'd say you're right