* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 288
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,686 Times in 864 Posts

Yeah, their website sux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I had an Ace Race 150g Mantis in Ti that was pretty beefy like S-PD almost. My lil bro borrowed it and got his first ace with it, so I gave it to him. FH ace on Rockburn hole 7, couldn't believe it. That hole has been my nemesis. Last year all his discs and his friend's discs got creamed by a cement truck.

I have a couple Badfish tourney stamped Z Mantis that are crazy overstable, almost like a Firebird. Also have Badfish Z Heats that fly like Champ Teebird3s. I picked up a regular production Z Mantis and Z Heat because I liked my Badfish ones fly, but then I could not believe how much less stable they are. I agree the regular production Heat was similar to FD and Mantis similar to XL.
I recall the AR Ti's being quite OS (thought the Viking comparisons in that year's AR thread seemed valid), and that the production Z and Big Z were considerably less stable... basically filling completely different slots in in a bag. Forgotten there were some particularly beefy ones out there until I read Sidewinder's post.

I got a local tourney stamped Cryztal Z in the 150's that's FAF and crazy OS... moreso than any Z Predator I've thrown.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 88
Niced 710 Times in 367 Posts

The more I throw the mantis the more I find myself reaching for it. It's a very intuitive driver for me, I don't have to think about how to get the line I want out of it even after just a few weeks with it. I like to throw a lot of hyzer flips and turnover and it just feels like the disc was made for my style of play.

It's a mainstay in my bag from now on. Pairs really well with the undertaker for me.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 37
Niced 183 Times in 112 Posts

Any experience with non ace race Ti? I got one with a tourney stamp from an event during last summer, so assuming it's new, but didn't think there were ever production Ti run. Between family, health, and weather, I haven't gotten a chance to throw it. Wondering if it'll be beefy or flippy.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

What's the difference between a mantis and an undertaker? The flight charts look almost identical.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 166
Niced 556 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecosa View Post
What's the difference between a mantis and an undertaker? The flight charts look almost identical.
I feel like a Mantis has potential to be a nice understable "long fairway." The Undertaker has some high speed turn but only if thrown pretty full power or into a headwind, and it has a pretty good end fade. That's my 2 cents having thrown both. I haven't looked at any flight charts and haven't thrown a Mantis recently. Maybe I'm relying too much on how MJ uses the Mantis.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecosa View Post
They definitely aren't the same. I'd say the mantis is a -1.5 hss and the undertaker is a -0.5. I can power up the undertaker and it will flip up but not over and have some fade at the end. A mantis will flip over if I get on it too hard and it won't fight out of it.

The mantis I've been throwing is a 172 z and 176 glow z, and the undertaker are 175 z flx and 169 z.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 317 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
They definitely aren't the same. I'd say the mantis is a -1.5 hss and the undertaker is a -0.5. I can power up the undertaker and it will flip up but not over and have some fade at the end. A mantis will flip over if I get on it too hard and it won't fight out of it.
This is in line with my experience. I have a Big Z and X Mantis and a Z Undertaker. Most of the time I will throw the Undertaker but when I feel tired it is Mantis time.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 689 Times in 387 Posts

I picked up an X Mantis to go with my Ti. The X is like a Comet, no turn very little fade.
I already have a Crave in my bag, the X Mantis was a slower fligjt, but with more glide, than the Crave, even though thay ended up about the same place.
The X Mantis is out of the bag.
Did I get a freak X? It had a super high dome.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 689 Times in 387 Posts

^^Stupid touch keyboard!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
This is in line with my experience. I have a Big Z and X Mantis and a Z Undertaker. Most of the time I will throw the Undertaker but when I feel tired it is Mantis time.
I'm finding more the opposite for me. Most of the time I throw the mantis, unless it's windy or need a stronger finish. Maybe my age is starting to a catch up with me