Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 106
Niced 173 Times in 86 Posts
Default League Coordinators Intro Thread

I'm hoping this becomes a place for us crazy league coordinators to share tips and tricks and what works and what doesn't. Let's kick this off with an intro thread.

If you run or help out with a league then....

What is your format? (Doubles, singles handicap, match play, other)

How do you charge for it and how do you pay out?

How many people show up on a regular week?

How do you post results?

What is your biggest challenge as a league coordinator?

Why do you do it?

I'll start: Curently in the early phases of introducing the sport to a new area. We just had baskets in the ground late this fall and planning to ramp up the league offerings this spring. For the past three years we have been playing target golf in a singles handicap format where we had about 8 players on a normal day. One fee to enter the league which includes merch and no weekly payouts. All results posted to DiscGolfScene. Biggest challenge for me was getting someone else to post scores when I couldn't be there. I do it because I felt a league was the best way to grow and promote the sport in our area.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
I'm hoping this becomes a place for us crazy league coordinators to share tips and tricks and what works and what doesn't. Let's kick this off with an intro thread.

If you run or help out with a league then....
I run the 515 Disc Golf League here in Des Moines, Iowa. Pretty good one too, although in fairness I'm a little biased.

We do sanctioned rounds by quarter during the year (anywhere between six and ten rounds), but we also do unsanctioned random draw doubles and glow rounds (both doubles and singles).

The 515 has two divisions: Open and Amateur. Open EF is $7.00, Am EF $5.00. I take $1.50 for my time and PDGA fees (for sanctioned rounds) the rest goes to payout. Plus, $1.00 from every Am entry goes toward the Open purse to discourage bagging and encourage people to play better and move up. (This doesn't sit well with some people so if you want reasons why I do it that way check out the explanation under the files section on our Facebook page or on our DGU league page where I track points.)

We've gotten as many as 52 for sanctioned rounds and 40+ for doubles, but we average about 25 players for every event.

How do you post results?

I post results on Facebook usually within 24 hours, though I've slipped on that a couple times. I've never gone more than 72 hours without announcing the results. Constant communication is KEY and transparency is paramount; players need to know who got what and where their money is going.

It's not difficult to run a league, so there isn't much that's "challenging" about it.

Why do you do it?

I just love the game and the people who play it and enjoy playing competitive disc golf.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Years Playing: 18.8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've run weekly leagues for the Bluegrass Disc Golf Association (bdga.org) for 4 years now (actually off 1 year in there). And run several non-sanctioned events; glow rounds, tag challenges, etc.
The handicap league runs in three 10-week sessions, each at a different course.

Spring Singles - Handicapped for plastic payout at the end. PDGA sanctioned in 2016.
Sumer Fixed Doubles - Choose your doubles partner for the league. Handicapped for plastic payout at the end.
Fall Singles - Handicapped for plastic payout at the end.

$2 per person per week. Or $15 for the 10-week season.
$1 goes to the club, $1 to payout.
$1 optional ace pool, capped at $150. Remaining carries over.
The target players are begginers, so keeping the cost low is very attractive.

The number of people paid out at the end is ~25% of players who competed at least 5 times in 10 weeks.

15-20ish. Sanctioned league brings 30+ most weeks.

How do you post results?
Post Goole doc on Facebook.

Keeping it fun.
Each week are bonus points. I used to mixed these up a lot between CTP holes, longest putt, CTP with mini markers, once we spun 3-4 times around a baseball bat and then putted 60 ft.
I required forehand rollers on one hole.. but had to give it up once sanctioned.

Early on the challenge was registering everyone. I've gotten a lot better now.
A minor challenge is bag tags when there are a lot of people. I try to get someone else to handle tags when I can.

Why do you do it?
See a need, fill a need.
I also just enjoy playing and meeting new people.

You forgot this question:
What is your biggest reward?
Growing the number of local players. Escpecially players that like to do course work. And players that aren't so hard core and hell bent on winning every single hole, who are just fun to hang out with.

6 of 8 current club officers have come up through this handicap league.

Last edited by JamesN; 01-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 161
Niced 53 Times in 23 Posts

I'm one of the coordinators of BALRODG Banded Amateur League for Recreational Organized Disc Golf

What is your format? (Doubles, singles handicap, match play, other) Once a month the entire league gathers and we hold a match play round. You are carded in order of standings. Most skins gets 4 points, 2nd most 3 points and so on.

Then between events members are assigned 3 members they must play against before the next event, these are stroke play and they can be played at any time at any course. Winners get 3 points and losers get 2.

Often times we will post on facebook to arrange matches and have 5-10 members show up. multiple matches are played in the same round like Player A will have a match with player B and D, and player B also has a match with player C so Player A is completing 2 of his three matches in one round and B is also completing 2

How do you charge for it and how do you pay out? We charge $30 for the whole season, and $1 Ace pool at monthly match play round. The $30 goes towards buying bag tags, website hosting fees, custom stamped discs and gift certs. we award the gift certs randomly during events and then at finale event based on standings.

How many people show up on a regular week?Our league consists of 25-30 members, our monthly events usually see a majority of the members attend

How do you post results? Our website tracks how many points you have gotten from the monthly match play rounds as well as points you've earned in the individual matches

What is your biggest challenge as a league coordinator? I am one of five coordinators and we each have our own duties. Mine is communications which is a pretty easy gig, just make some facebook events, send out a couple of emails. as a whole the biggest challenge is drawing in new committed members, we have been holding at 25-30 for over 5 years, regular members start families or new jobs that conflict with the league, or they move away, and we get a couple new members each year, most stay on usually 1 or 2 don't return mostly due to other commitments like families or jobs.

Why do you do it? Because I like how the league is unique and open to all skill levels, the matches being flexible for course and time is very nice when I don't feel like driving super far or something comes up one day of the week.