Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Default Progressive ace pot

I'm curious about a particular type of progressive ace pot which I've come across at a few courses around here but is something I can't say I've seen or heard of anywhere else.

It's a simple progressive pot. Each week there are no aces, the pot carries over in full to the next week. However, to buy into the ace pot, you have to pay for every week of carry over that you haven't already paid before. So if you've played (and paid) every week since the last time it was hit, it's just $1 to buy in each week. But if you're playing for the first time in week 8 of the ace pot, the cost to buy in is $8. If it's week 15, it is $15. And so on.

On the one hand, I can see it as discouraging ace pot scavengers from jumping in once it gets big then bailing once it's hit. On the other, if the pot grows for too long, it discourages new or occasional players from coming out at all and can stagnate numbers.

So I guess my question is two-fold...is this a common practice elsewhere and am I wrong to be bothered by it as someone who is only an occasional league player due to the nature of my schedule? What do others think?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

I've never seen or even heard of this format for ace pools before. It has a certain amount of logic to it if the course is short and aces are fairly common; however, if aces are rare (e.g. 15 weeks pass before anyone hits one) I can also see it being a detriment. Depending on the size of the pot it might encourage more participation though. People buy lottery tickets every day, after all.

To answer your questions: No, it's not a common way to run an ace pool. As for it bothering you, that's completely subjective. You can't help that it bothers you, but if you don't like the format you don't have to participate. You can always start your own ace pool too, so you have options. That's one of the perks of running your own league...you can run it however you want and if people don't like it, too bad. They can always start their own.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
As for it bothering you, that's completely subjective. You can't help that it bothers you, but if you don't like the format you don't have to participate. You can always start your own ace pool too, so you have options. That's one of the perks of running your own league...you can run it however you want and if people don't like it, too bad. They can always start their own.
I love this reply. This is the best thing I've read all week.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 485
Niced 546 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'm curious about a particular type of progressive ace pot which I've come across at a few courses around here but is something I can't say I've seen or heard of anywhere else.

It's a simple progressive pot. Each week there are no aces, the pot carries over in full to the next week. However, to buy into the ace pot, you have to pay for every week of carry over that you haven't already paid before. So if you've played (and paid) every week since the last time it was hit, it's just $1 to buy in each week. But if you're playing for the first time in week 8 of the ace pot, the cost to buy in is $8. If it's week 15, it is $15. And so on.

On the one hand, I can see it as discouraging ace pot scavengers from jumping in once it gets big then bailing once it's hit. On the other, if the pot grows for too long, it discourages new or occasional players from coming out at all and can stagnate numbers.

So I guess my question is two-fold...is this a common practice elsewhere and am I wrong to be bothered by it as someone who is only an occasional league player due to the nature of my schedule? What do others think?

They had an Ace Fund like this in Austin, Minnesota for the Sunday Ace League. However, I don't think you could "buy in". You could only win as much of the Ace Pot as the number of weeks you played. If Ace pot was 20 weeks in the making and you only played 11 weeks, you could only win 11/20 of the Ace Pot. This was to keep players in the Big City from coming to town some Sunday and walking away with $1,000.00 for only showing up one time. And I don't think they let you buy in, you HAD to play every week if you wanted to keep 100% in the fund. I loved and hated this league as the last year I played this league it seemed Sunday was always the coldest and worst weather of the week. However, I was vested and continued to play in the below zero crappy weather just to keep up my chances at that $1,000.00 Ace Pot!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our club keeps an ace pot for both local courses so you can't hit an easier ace on one course and win all the money. They also cap the ace pot at $200 to prevent poachers and the extra money rolls over to start the new ace pot when one is hit.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Around here it's just the simple, pay $1 and you're in, hit the ace and win whatever's in the pot. So, yes, you can roll in from out of town, play once, and walk away with a pocketful of money.

The most heavily attended weekly is on a course where aces are readily available, so it shouldn't accumulate too much. Though sometimes it does.

The argument was made that this formula encourages attendance, particularly when the pot gets higher, and the extra attendance (1) is better for play and (2) boosts the ace pot. Though an out-of-towner might win, odds favor a local doing it, and getting some of that out-of-town money.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 106
Niced 182 Times in 87 Posts

It's got to be a lot of bookkeeping to keep track of who attends which week for the exclusive ace pot model. Most leagues I've seen in this area don't want to be bothered with that, so typically it is $2 or $1 and you are in the running for the entire pot, whether it's your first week there or you have been to every one.

What is common though is to payout a percentage of what is in the kitty, such as 50% or 75% of the total ace pot value. This is just to keep things in there after a hit. A cap can be a nice predictable way to regulate things, but it's also fun to have one get up really high and become kind of a spectacle with extra ordinary attendance numbers.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

Played one local club that would cap the ace pool for non members to what was collected that week. This way if they hit it it was only worth 40 or so. By forcing them to buy into the club it gain a few dollars for the year end party. Current double I attend we cap it a 50.00. Pitch and putt course and at most it has gotten to around 150.00 Our idea was anything over that amont would be saved for other course improvements and or materials for running doubles. Worked well enough that it self feeds us the needed dollars for score cards and pencils.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 192
Niced 187 Times in 120 Posts

I know that one group or series of events that do it like this --
Buy a $20 club membership and you're in for $1 every time you show up. You get to play for the entire ace pot up to the capped number. Roll in from wherever you can still pay $1 for the ace pot, but you're only eligible door 50% or 40% depending on where they cap it. Or you can buy a club membership.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 31
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

the local league started requiring club membership to be eligible for the ace pot. Not a format I like at all.