Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 156 Times in 80 Posts
Default Dubs points/standings question

So I'm starting the area's first ever dg league, in a random double's format for 5 months starting in May. There will be a round every Thursday, and I have pretty much everything squared away, but I was wondering what advice yall have for a points system for dubs, and how you determine an end of season winner etc. I know there will probably be some sort of attendance requirement to qualify, but how does everyone else go about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

There is no "best way"---here's what our local club has done for almost 20 years:

1 point for showing up.
5 points for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd, regardless of how many people play.
1 point for every stroke under par---this being on a course where the winning doubles team usually shoots at least -12, and almost every team shoots at least a little under.

The reward is for playing well, and showing up often. The points for finishing in the top 3 are bonus points; they're winning cash, anyway.

At the end of the year, the top 8 or 16 points winners compete in a final week championship, with a little money from entries during the year siphoned off to boost the championship pot. In addition, the single points champion is recognized.

Not right or wrong or better or worse than any other system, but it's worked well here.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 119
Niced 245 Times in 115 Posts

We used to run a points series similar to what David said. Something like 2 points for showing up, 1 point for every team you beat, 2 points for winning CTP (2 holes, change every week), bonus points for shooting -10 or better for 4 weeks in a row.
And then we ran the numbers and found out that all that math was almost the exact same thing as the people who just showed up the most. Literally, for the top 20 points-earners, the only change was something like 14th and 15th switched places.

So now we just run it strictly based on attendance. 1 point for every week you show up. Top 16 or 20 or so make it to the finals, where we pay a huge pot (like $1000) from siphoning money from the pot every week.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,543 Times in 1,065 Posts

I run a 12-week league with a points system similar to the others described...1 point for playing, 1 point for each team beaten/tied, extra points for top 3 (I do 8-5-2). We award bonus points for aces (10 pts) and a weekly deuce trifecta (6 pts for deucing three randomly chosen holes). There are attendance bonuses for players that play 6, 9, and all 12 weeks. What I also do is double the points in the middle four weeks, so it's 2 points for attending and 2 for each team beaten/tied. Then for the final third of the series, it's triple points.

The reason for increasing points as we go being that as the series goes on, some players can build up leads or others can miss a week and feel like they're out of contention, so we make the later weeks worth more to give players a chance to potentially catch up and interest doesn't wane too much. The winner of the league gets a free entry to our biggest tournament of the year, which is the weekend following the final league night. It's a fun way to build anticipation for the tournament.

I like the idea about awarding points based on scores under par. Might have to consider that for next year's league.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Eagle Member

Great ideas, much appreciated!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 99
Niced 132 Times in 78 Posts

We run season long leagues here with points. We use 2 points for playing 1 point for every player you beat. 5 bonus points added if you opt in for and hit the birdie bank ($1 opt in. 4 random holes selected must birdie 3 to win side pot) this gets added to nights total. 10 bonus points for an ace that gets added to the season total. We run 26 weeks with top 18 count for season total. Disc golf scene lets you track all this real easy.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

Essentially, you want to find a balance between rewarding attendance and performance; to give people something to play for, late in a round when they're not going to cash, or late in season to keep enough people interested; and to decide how complicated you want to make things for yourself.

And, what to do with the points, once you've got them---whether to pay out or recognize points winners, or qualify for a championship, or what.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 99
Niced 132 Times in 78 Posts

More ideas for you to contemplate. We charge an extra dollar that gets split for the season ending event. 1/2 goes to season standings payout. We paid top 5 1st 30%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 20%, 4th 15%, and 5th 10% of the season end payouts. We also took the other half to throw a bbq. I'd provide bugers, dogs, chicken and drinks. Ask attendees to bring side dishes to share and anything left I'd conduct games of skill or luck to disperse the remaining funds. I'd do ring of fire, mini long distance throwing, blindfolded CTP, and other fun side games to give away the money. One year I had a lot of funds due to the ace pot not getting hit for the last 3 months of the season. (I only carry over $50 to the next season so those that contributed in the current season can try to win most of the funds) I ran a side game called 3 blind mice (Stole the idea from a VT tourney). We split the BBQ attendees into players or caddies. Players were the better skilled and the caddies were the lower half. We have a 3 hole loop that are all very birdieable holes. So there would be 3 randomly selected players matched with 3 randomly selcted caddies. The players were required to put on a blindfold at the 1st tee and not take it off until holed out on the 3rd basket. Caddies would lead their player and tell them what shot to throw line them up and guide them through the 3 holes. All other attendees were encouraged to razz the thrower. I handed out noise making party favors. I paid out the top team $60 and 2nd place team $20. I had enough funds to run this 3 times with 3 different groups of 6. It was hilarious.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 106
Niced 182 Times in 87 Posts

If you use discgolfscene to post league results, you can add a point series on top of the results. Makes it easy and visible for all players / members. I thought they calculated the points for you, but I don't see that as a default option.

I like the suggestions on this thread. Will need to re-read and digest to see if these would work better. In the past I've done simply 1 point per person you beat, so for doubles it would be 2 points for every team bested.

We also have done bonus points for aces.. something to consider.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Just an update, the league is running very well, everyone is having fun, myself included. I'm using your points system, DavidSauls. We had 8 people the first week, 9 the next, and 6 this week (wet and crappy weather).

Haven't had any real newcomers, but all of our small local scene discers are showing up often, plus one guy from an hour south is coming every week. Thanks again for all the input