Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 204 Times in 136 Posts
Default Need some help - Initial bag tag event

We will be formally opening our new DGC with the Mayor and City Council performing a ribbon cutting ceremony in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion, we will be handing out initial bag tags to all that wish to earn one in a one round qualifier, immediately following the Grand Opening. Early local polling indicates 25+ players, maybe a lot more, for the first crack at tag #1.

I have absolutely no experience running anything DG related and I expect to get multiple players with identical scores, so I am soliciting help with tie breakers. I am trying to avoid having to play more than 18 holes, to keep it simple and quick, so throw-offs are out, unless maybe one final throw (CTP) for the top ten overall (if not PDGA members) as needed.

This is a rec course, so I expect a very friendly, welcoming environment. Maybe a handful of 900+ and a bunch of us rec'ing crew.

My initial thoughts are:

1 - PDGA member vs. non-member: Member wins tie, non-members see #3
2 - Multiple PDGA members: Higher rating breaks tie
3 - Multiple non members (outside top ten): Draw straws for number

Can I make this simpler? Better? Looking for help. TIA.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by PBokor; 05-23-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,164 Times in 548 Posts

Suggest giving players a random bag tag number within the range of tag numbers you have available, but not the actual tag when they start to play. Then you can just use regular bag tag rules using those random tag numbers to give out the tags at the end with the number they earned.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 204 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Suggest giving players a random bag tag number within the range of tag numbers you have available, but not the actual tag when they start to play. Then you can just use regular bag tag rules using those random tag numbers to give out the tags at the end with the number they earned.
Thanks Chuck. Cut me off when I ask too many questions, but while I have the opportunity, I shall avail myself.

1 - Flex start, so players can self identify with friends, family, or friendly foes (rec course).
2 - 4-6 players per card (at least one of them familiar with PDGA rules and keeping score).
3 - After the round, everyone gets their first tag, based on score and tie breakers.

What can I do better?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,164 Times in 548 Posts

Since it's flex start, I'm thinking you just follow the tag rules within each group as they finish. When their round ends, have each player in the group draw a tag from the big box which they can't see inside. Then reallocate their numbers as if they had that tag number before the round started. Let's say you have a group of 6:
Player A draws 5 shot 57 ends up with 24
Player B draws 24 shot 56 ends up with 21
Player C draws 42 shot 54 ends up with 5
Player D draws 15 shot 56 ends up with 15
Player E draws 28 shot 58 ends up with 28
Player F draws 21 shot 60 ends up with 42
Old 05-31-2017, 11:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 119
Niced 245 Times in 115 Posts

If you're doing pre-registration for the event, the best tag number for tied players would go to the player who registered earliest.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 106
Niced 174 Times in 86 Posts

We are looking at introducing tags for our 2018 club membership. Can anyone please post your set of tag rules for your league that works? Looking for a starting point and I don't want to spend a ton of time re-inventing the wheel. Do you have special rules for tournaments? How are tie-breakers handled? Do you keep the tag updated online? How are the final tag numbers assigned? etc.. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 124
Niced 856 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
We are looking at introducing tags for our 2018 club membership. Can anyone please post your set of tag rules for your league that works? Looking for a starting point and I don't want to spend a ton of time re-inventing the wheel. Do you have special rules for tournaments? How are tie-breakers handled? Do you keep the tag updated online? How are the final tag numbers assigned? etc.. Thanks!
Mad City disc used to have their bag tag rules posted online, but it's no longer there.

There wasn't much to it - something like:

You can challenge anyone with a lower tag than you.
You should always accept a challenge if at all possible.
PDGA rules apply to tag rounds.
Holder of tag #1 at the end of the season wins (end of season = fall picnic club event)

The tags are distributed at the Spring Kickoff every year, which is a random draw doubles event. If you aren't there you can buy a (high) tag anytime after. I like the random draw idea for this to prevent the best players from all starting with the best tags.

Niced: (1)