Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,086 Times in 482 Posts
Default How to handle this OB?

During an unsanctioned tourney I ran a few weeks ago this is an issue that came up and I figured I'd try to iron things out before running a PDGA tourney there. So looking at the picture the tee is off in the distance and the basket is off to the right. The disc is technically inbounds according to what I stated at the players meeting. The disc is on the grass BUT there really isn't enough room for someone to stand and stay inbounds with the hedge right there. One player stood IN the hedge for an OB shot at roughly that location. I am really not interested in having players stand IN the hedge and thus pissing off the local parks department for their 1 meter relief. So I am wondering what to do with this situation when playing the pavement as OB...

1. Can I just tell players they need to stand on the OB pavement and throw from there?
2. Is horizontal relief an option?
3. Should I create a no penalty drop zone for these situations?
4. I don't want to do this but...Should I mark a line on the other side of the hedge opposite the pavement denoting OB from there?

Or...I might not be understanding how to play OB correctly. Just trying to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1502.jpg (151.0 KB, 171 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2017, 08:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Forgot to mention...this same issue applies to shots that land in or on the hedge. If they back up in line with the basket they'll be throwing from OB to get out of the hedge...:/
Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,152 Times in 546 Posts

A couple options here.

- The default rule with no comments from the TD would be that players have to play from hedge or throw from previous lie.

- You could get a waiver to require players to throw again from previous lie with OB penalty.

- You could get a waiver to require players to throw again from previous lie with no penalty other than counting the throw that went OB. Under the 2018 rules, you could simply call the pavement a relief area where players play from the previous lie (still counting the throw that landed on pavement).

- You could get a waiver to allow extended relief up to 2 meters or even 3 meters (depends on width of hedge) from the pavement. This is what's done for low height barbed wire fence OB lines and casual relief from cactus. The bonus for players is they wouldn't need to play from hedge if they landed in the hedge without landing OB.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

A couple of others. Make the hedge's also OB. That would bring in the new 2018 rule 806.02.D.3 ". If a perpendicular lie as described above is not available, a lie designated by a marker disc placed on the playing surface at the point that is nearest to where the disc was last in-bounds, and that is up to one meter away from any out-of-bounds area."

Or make the hedges continuous to the path OB.

And/or add a drop zone.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 351 Times in 161 Posts

Either your or Chuck's 4th option. (you guys save the best for last?)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Either your or Chuck's 4th option. (you guys save the best for last?)
We want to make sure people read the entire post.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,152 Times in 546 Posts

If the pavement is "safe" to play from, you could also make it a hazard area under the 2018 rules where players just mark and play from there with a penalty.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 18 Posts

Is this a permanent or temp course? Design hole so that's a low probability lie. How do the locals play this? Simple would be to connect hedge to sidewalk with a line and call it OB. Or make that section of sidewalk IB and call hedge a casual obstacle. What ever you do protect the integrity of the hedge. This is a managed park so DGers should not be damaging a groomed hedge.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,505 Times in 1,053 Posts

Simplest fix is absolutely to extend the OB line so that the hedge is within the OB area as well. Little bit of paint or string and there's no need for special rules or waivers. The pictured disc would unfortunately be OB in that case, but I'm guessing that landing there isn't exactly the result of a "good" throw anyway.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
Is this a permanent or temp course? Design hole so that's a low probability lie. How do the locals play this? Simple would be to connect hedge to sidewalk with a line and call it OB. Or make that section of sidewalk IB and call hedge a casual obstacle. What ever you do protect the integrity of the hedge. This is a managed park so DGers should not be damaging a groomed hedge.
Permanent. This is the way the hole is going to stay and really it's the only one on the entire course like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Simplest fix is absolutely to extend the OB line so that the hedge is within the OB area as well. Little bit of paint or string and there's no need for special rules or waivers. The pictured disc would unfortunately be OB in that case, but I'm guessing that landing there isn't exactly the result of a "good" throw anyway.
Welp...it's what a lot of players do anyways. The hole lends itself to a RHBH sky-hyzer route. There are rarely any cars down there so they just pull out an OS wide rimmed driver and go for the pavement skip which will usually hop over the hedge or sometimes bounce off the pavement side of the hedge and end up like it is in the picture. The more I think about it...making the hedge OB and drawing a line on the grass opposite the pavement might be the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If the pavement is "safe" to play from, you could also make it a hazard area under the 2018 rules where players just mark and play from there with a penalty.
I like this idea as well. So if it lands like I have it in the picture and is technically IB can the player throw from the OB pavement without penalty under the new rules? By safe I assume you mean a player can throw from it without risking injury or getting run over? If so then absolutely it's safe - this is in the back corner of the park and is used primarily as over-flow parking. Very rarely do any cars drive back there.

Speaking of which...anyone have a link to the new rules? I'm sure it's on the PDGA site somewhere but apparently I am too obtuse to find it. There's these rules but those look like the old version...