Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default DD Ranger vs Commander

After playing with my fossa bag for a while it's starting to fall apart. I've decided to go with either the DD Ranger or DD Commander.

I know the main difference in bags is storage, but most likely I'll be looking into getting a cart in the next year or two (If I decide to do some more tourneys). I would like to have ability to carry a backpack or use the cart.

Which bag is better for carrying and possibly putting into a cart?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2018, 12:55 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 544 Times in 463 Posts

Seems to me the Commander is a bit wide for a cart but they fit. Also the Commander in what I have read is a bit wide for the shoulders. The smaller Ranger has some left and right side less stiff issues that tend to plague the $30-$40 bag range. The Ranger can hold a large bottle of water, a 40oz bottle but only having on one side. I would use the top for storage on a Ranger bag to hold my stuff. The bag that seems best out of the the two is, just what you want from the bag its-self when not using a cart. Just stay away from the Sniper backpack as the straps like to rip off that particular bag as does the middle bag handle. Mostly the issue with the Sniper backpack is if you use single strap and a preferred strap it rips off the Sniper, quicker is the bag is crammed full of discs. Do not forget no storage on a Sniper is the other big problem.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 106 Times in 54 Posts

I've always found that the rangers are way tippy, especially when compared to the commander. I feel that the commander is easier to get disc in and out of as well, but I prefer top load. On my back the commander feels better too, the ranger seemed to dig in to me too much. But i may be a bit of an outlier, I prefer the way the commander rides on my back over my UPD shift. Maybe it's because I'm on the taller end of the spectrum 6'3".

The commander bottle holders are gone on a cart, and the side pockets are a bit less useful. I have yet to see a ranger on a cart, but I imagine that if loaded poorly it could still try to tip off the cart.

ymmv

Last edited by uncle pennybags; 09-06-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: carting
Old 09-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 24 Posts

I have a ranger bag, and very much enjoy it in or out of the cart. It sits nicely on my back for the most part (6'3" 245), and has as much storage as I'd likely ever need. It also has the plastic feet on the bottom to help avoid contact with dirt and debris as much as possible.

The commander bags I've seen seem really well made, but slightly less ideal for a cart due to the decreased amount of storage. However, for someone who likes to carry just discs and not much else, it is PERFECT.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 98
Niced 230 Times in 124 Posts

I have a ranger bag in a DD cart, basically a zuca. You can fit the Ranger in the cart but it's not exactly easy. It's pretty tight. Frankly it's a PITA to get it in and out, to the point where I don't really want to do it unless I have to. It's a great set up, just not as flexible as I originally thought. Just something to keep in mind...it's hard to beat a Ranger bag I will say. No experience with the commander.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 132
Niced 55 Times in 22 Posts

I love my Commander bag. I'm not a huge tournament player (just a couple a year, plus league nights), so I don't need the extra storage (and cost) of the Ranger bag.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

I have both and there are pros and cons too both
I think it's easier to load and unload stuff in the commander bag and its comfortable while the ranger bag has more storage,can fit on the cart better.I mainly use the ranger because I use the storage and it fits more comfortable on my body frame.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 46 Times in 30 Posts

I would like to add that the durability of the Ranger bag is fantastic! I've had my bag for 5 years, play often, and have had no tearing, or any issues what so ever.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 161
Niced 53 Times in 23 Posts

I've had both the Ranger and Commander bags. I enjoy the Commander bag so much more. They both basically hold the same amount of discs, the side sleeves can hold 2-3 discs each, dual beverage holders, a cell phone pocket, the top quiver can hold 2-4 putters compared to Rangers 2 putter side quiver and the best part of the Commander is it has a rainfly for an extra $20 complete with zippers so you can access all your stuff without pulling it to the side or what not.

The only area the Ranger bag is better is the large upper storage, compared to the Commanders smaller 2 side pockets, but in my experience the Ranger Storage couldn't fit a bulky sweater well so really whats the point of storage if you can't store anything bulky. The Commander's two side pockets hold my wallet, keys in one and speaker and other misc in the other. and since the Wallet and keys are in their own pocket they never have a chance of falling out when digging for other stuff.

And the Commander being $50 cheaper doesn't hurt

Niced: (1)

Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 98
Niced 230 Times in 124 Posts

I was looking seriously at both when I eventually got the Ranger. I felt like the extra money was justified given the lifetime warranty that comes with it. That was the main thing that swayed me because I'm sure I would have been happy with either.