Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 21
Niced 338 Times in 147 Posts

Interesting thread and I'm left none the wiser as to Davids original question. For me a root would be the playing surface even if that root extended over water, the playing surface is not necessarily soil, what difference is it if it is a rock slab/bridge/exposed root of a tree? You land on a root anywhere else on the course you assume it's the playing surface, you land in branches anywhere else you drop down to the playing surface. If branches aren't the playing surface anywhere else they don't become them in an OB call. Roots/logs are elsewhere so when not specified are, I think, for me inbounds when over water as well. I think. Although I will now be doubting myself making the call next time, without a clear answer in the rulebook, so thanks guys....

I have my own question related to this thread, on the below picture where do I play the next shot? (situation does happen albeit not regularly on one hole with discs hyzering into the undercut bank and sticking.) There is no safe way of taking a stance anywhere near the disc, it is crossing the inbounds line though.

I would play this as no penalty and take a meters relief from the OB rope above, is this incorrect? (QA POS-1 and then normal relief from OB line)

Are the only other options back on line of play (not an option on this hole as it would take you across the river to neighbours land) or rethrow? My understanding would be this was similar to the culvert/crevice idea and so you would move to the surface above and then be able to make use of relief from the marked ob line to move closer to the basket?

It's on a hole on a regular course and I set out for comps at least once a year so would like to know how to handle the position correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

Yes you would play it 1m from the rope.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 81 Times in 40 Posts

Yes, the disc establishes a position on the playing surface above it. And as it crosses the ob/ib boundary, play with normal 1m relief.

Further questions:

Which course is it (I'm UK based)?

From a TD's point of view, do you want these shots to count as inbounds?

Linked question, can the OB line be moved further away from the water, thereby making all shots landing in the bank OB? Or is it fixed IE a fence or similar?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Quarry park Hole 8 (6 on the Black course) We run the rope right to the river banks top (well I do Brucealways got lazy when he did it pinching off the green a bit...)and it undercuts at the bit around the bush/tree in places. I've been stuck in the bank with some of the disc past the ropes line before.

From a TD's perspective no not really, It doesn;t feel right to be in bounds, they should be on the top surface. Yes you can move the line but the green becomes unfairly small and not worth attacking.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Thought it might be quarry park. Haven't played there yet, but I'll be there this weekend for the masters!

Can't wait, I'll see what I think of hole 6.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

TD could also declare that discs below the playing surface by the creek as being OB if so desired.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 AM
Eagle Member

Not sure how Del/Sue is setting it up this weekend but there is normally a strip of about a meter wide uncut grass on the river side of the green, this works well as a stopper for discs sliding off into the river from an attacking shot from the elevated tee.

The rope is sometimes put alongside this which stops the above very rare occurence but makes it not worth attacking with a backhand from the tee (forehand is still ok but it's out of my forehand range, especially with the tree guarding the forehand route into the basket) I prefer the line as close to the river banks edge as possible as it's an 115 m hole and I want the basket at least 7 meters from OB to make it a better risk reward decision. With the inside rope it becomes a layup hole with the outside the attacking shot opens up as any ground play should stop in the long grass before going OB.

Where in the UK are you Cheesethin?

The above scenario has happened on second shots for me before with forehand spike hyzers from the other side of the stream behind the fence.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Par Member

Between Manchester and Leeds.

It'll be interesting to play the hole, it's outside of my range to attack from the tee. Water hazard holes give me the heebie jeebies. I'll be checking to see if the strip of longer grass is there.

Your new Cotswolds course looks/sounds good, can't wait to play it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Old 09-25-2018, 05:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Between Manchester and Leeds.

It'll be interesting to play the hole, it's outside of my range to attack from the tee. Water hazard holes give me the heebie jeebies. I'll be checking to see if the strip of longer grass is there.

Your new Cotswolds course looks/sounds good, can't wait to play it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Permanent tee signs are all in now, just waiting on welcome board and levelling of the teeing areas (this winters job) No water at Cotswold View though you'll be pleased to hear Just a lot of trees....