Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 74
Niced 106 Times in 83 Posts

I use one quite often probably more than my regular backpack bag. I mostly use it when I am riding my motorcycle to play disc golf, which is more than my car..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 09:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 110 Times in 71 Posts

I have a Mahl, a DD Commander, my wife has UP Shift, and I have used/tried plenty of backpacks.

My goto bag, is my Voodoo Mojo with quads. Super sturdy and sits well. I carry 8-10 discs in main and 2 putters. The only time I switch to the Mahl is if I am playing a mountain course or a tournament where I need to carry significant backups.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 70 Times in 48 Posts

Gateway tour bag for me, they are made very well with top notch materials.
I have auditioned a few backpacks over the years but don't like them against my back when the temperatures are up and don't like the higher center of gravity on slopes.
The only problem is there are no high quality quad straps these days. Probably not a big enough market.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 AM

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Was contemplating a set of the DGA Gel straps for my Gorilla boy Silverback. Has anyone tried them? Thoughts?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 543 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreed View Post
I have a DD Commander. I'd say it's probably the most shoulder-like backpack bag. I like the top loading, easy access putter pockets, and what's really nice is that you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up because the top handle sits about a foot higher off the ground than any shoulder bag. Sure, these pluses come at the expense of storage space, but a shoulder bag wouldn't have more anyway.

It's actually a little big for the amount of discs I carry, but I just use one side of the divider in the main compartment for 11 discs of storage plus another 2 putters up top.
Actually if you can find them, the Gateway backpack bags except maybe the Ozark are like a traditional bag modified to use backpack style. I have thought about getting one and then modifying the bag to have a carry strap as well. Problem is the 2 smaller backpack styles have become hard to find in the last 2 years as if the Gateway brand wants you to buy a big Ozark bag for a backpack even if you would not need such a bag size.

Actually the biggest of the shoulder bags Innova makes has more storage then the DD Commander by a bit with all the skinny pockets it has. That is about as big as I see in shoulder bags that are still being made. Reason that Innova bag is still made is that GGGT has a cart that only traditonal bags work on it, maybe a bag like the Commander.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
I have auditioned a few backpacks over the years but don't like them against my back when the temperatures are up and don't like the higher center of gravity on slopes.
The only problem is there are no high quality quad straps these days. Probably not a big enough market.
Brands still make high quality quad style straps these days, they just take a bit to find. Some of the models that had springs in the setup failed in the 2000's when they came out as nobody likes a bag that bounces up and down while waking from throw to throw and hole to hole. The Gel models never fully took off with brands as the gel can get hot in the middle of summer and can get hard in winter if cold enough. The straps really just need to be wide enough to take the pain away and prevent localized rubbing that can happen with a skinny strap. I see lots of running water/storage packs do not have padding in the straps but have wide straps that are wide enough to prevent as much rubbing as the straps can.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 88
Niced 717 Times in 369 Posts

I've definitely considered picking up a GB Squirrel Monkey and some quad straps. Primarily to carry a further condensed version of my normal 17 disc loadout. I'd love to have a setup for 12ish discs and I think that would be perfect. Most actual backpack bags aren't setup for very small disc count, or if they are, they are super bare bones and have no real storage.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 60
Niced 226 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
Look at tool bag companies. Lots of high quality straps that are comfortable and extremely durable.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
Look at tool bag companies. Lots of high quality straps that are comfortable and extremely durable.
Also the ones used for the big Digital Camera bags are very well made, though look carefully as some use a single attachment Point just like some for the tool bag companies.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:21 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2daRizzle View Post

I really miss several things about having a traditional bag. I miss taking the discs in and out of the top. I miss being able to pull a putter and putt out with out taking my bag off. I miss being able to see all of my discs while carrying my bag from hole to hole and shot to shot...

Has anybody else switched back to a traditional bag? I was hoping you could share your experience and whether or not you stuck with the traditional bag.
I was planning to start a simlar thread because I have been considering getting my first backpack and could easily see not keeping it for the reasons you listed.

Anyone have other things they don't like about backpacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Most actual backpack bags aren't setup for very small disc count, or if they are, they are super bare bones and have no real storage.
Yeah, I initially wanted about a 14 disc bag with two drink holders and room for a sweatshirt and other junk but didn't find anything.

If I do decide to get a backpack, I am leaning toward a Rebel and using the dividers shrink the disc storage area.