Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 58
Niced 105 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr32 View Post
Yeah. I've thrown both a bunch and escapes are very similar to roadrunners. Roadrunners are decently more stable than numbers suggest, and escapes are much less stable than their numbers suggest. Especially with a month on both, they will fly very similar, since the escape will season quicker. I had to stop throwing escapes because one day I realized my whole stack of them had worn to roller discs.
I have Paypal for flippy escapes

no really
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 256 Times in 160 Posts

Hatchets and Sidewinders have similar stabilities for me. The one Star Roadrunner I owned was definitely a tick less stable than a SW, and the Escapes I've owned have all been at least a tick more stable than the Hatchets I've owned. Escapes clearly fill a different slot in the bag for me, unless comparing a beat Escape to a fresh RR which at that point I could see the comparison. I don't get the exact flights listed on inbounds (especially for the Roadrunner, which typically didn't fight out of its turnover for me), but overall this seems pretty accurate just by eyeballing the flight shapes: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...4804899720864O
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 384 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I wish I could find one of those super-flippy Renegades like y'all apparently have. My three Renegades were decent discs. Yes, I'm a noodle arm.

I have not tried an Escape, but it has a reputation for not being as stable as its numbers suggest. But it's a popular disc...
Oh man, try a bio or a fuzion, you will love it. Better flip to fade at lower power than any of the Innova molded offerings, I think.

I unfort have not had time to get out and even test the Getaway, but I'm realizing that because I actually like to forehand the Escape quite a bit, this one could be a winner both BH and FH.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 690 Times in 482 Posts

Hatchets have become trick discs for me after about a month of use. They get that US. I think it would take me 4 years to get a Sidewinder there.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Birdie Member

Fair point on Hatchets after they beat in. When new though, I find them pretty similar to a new Sidewinder. I guess this come down to whether you're comparing how quickly a disc beats in and flight characteristics change, or whether you're comparing a two fresh discs. Fresh, I'd say stability order is Escape > Hatchet & Sidewinder > Roadrunner.

For the record, I find Moonshine plastic to hold stability longer than Lucid/Fuzion, which gets you closer to the beat-in pattern of Innova. I actually like how quickly Trilogy plastic beats in though since it's easier to replace a lost disc. I have a combo of Moonshines for durability/stability, Lucids for normal cycling, and Biofuzions for beating in quick.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Fair point on Hatchets after they beat in. When new though, I find them pretty similar to a new Sidewinder. I guess this come down to whether you're comparing how quickly a disc beats in and flight characteristics change, or whether you're comparing a two fresh discs. Fresh, I'd say stability order is Escape > Hatchet & Sidewinder > Roadrunner.

For the record, I find Moonshine plastic to hold stability longer than Lucid/Fuzion, which gets you closer to the beat-in pattern of Innova. I actually like how quickly Trilogy plastic beats in though since it's easier to replace a lost disc. I have a combo of Moonshines for durability/stability, Lucids for normal cycling, and Biofuzions for beating in quick.
Which roadrunners have you thrown?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr32 View Post
Which roadrunners have you thrown?
Star mid-160's. Tried a buddy's and liked it as a turnover disc and bought one of my own. Originally I liked that it would hold a long turnover line, and ride the happy medium where it wouldn't burn into the ground but also wouldn't fight out and fade. After bagging it for a bit it bugged me though because I couldn't control it for anything, and I wasn't trying to throw rollers yet so I really had very little use for it. Found the Hatchet to fight out at the end a little better which is why I sold the RR and have bagged Hatchets since. I have very limited experience with Sidewinders, since I didn't find it different enough from a Hatchet to warrant buying. I've got a stack of Escapes and always bag at least a couple. To me they're the perfect flip-to-flat disc.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:05 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default That has not been my experience

"Getaway sounds interesting but I'm here to say that Escapes fly like Roadrunners."

This has not been my experience.

I have the Lucid Escape in 172g and a champ roadrunner at 170g, both lightly beat in.. I play a wooded coarse where you need big flex shots, so I have experimented with both pretty often high flex shots. I've found when thrown with some height the RR turns and burns and doesn't even think of flexing back out. But the Escape always flexes back when given room to work. I throw about 380ft max for reference. If thrown flat and low, they both turn and burn, but the Escape doesn't turn and burn anywhere nearly as much. I do agree that it's more understable than a -1 in regards to Innovas rating. For me the Escape has about a -2.5 turn and the RR has a -4.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 535 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdyMac View Post
"Getaway sounds interesting but I'm here to say that Escapes fly like Roadrunners."

This has not been my experience.

I have the Lucid Escape in 172g and a champ roadrunner at 170g, both lightly beat in.. I play a wooded coarse where you need big flex shots, so I have experimented with both pretty often high flex shots. I've found when thrown with some height the RR turns and burns and doesn't even think of flexing back out. But the Escape always flexes back when given room to work. I throw about 380ft max for reference. If thrown flat and low, they both turn and burn, but the Escape doesn't turn and burn anywhere nearly as much. I do agree that it's more understable than a -1 in regards to Innovas rating. For me the Escape has about a -2.5 turn and the RR has a -4.
I had poor luck with the Escape too. VERY flippy. Easily -4. I'd throw them hyzer and they'd bomb off right and never come back. I won't say they're quite as flippy as a Roadrunner, but damn close. The Getaway flies true to the numbers. Maybe -0.5 on high speed turn. DD needs to significantly update the flight numbers on the Escape and Renegade. Both have significantly more high speed turn than stated on the disc.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I've got a Biofuzion 166g in the bag most days and also have a Lucid and heavier Bio, as well. Feels like an Escape with a higher PLH, and flies like an overstable Escape or a Thunderbird, depending on your frame of reference. Definitely a different feel than a Felon. It's a very nice disc, especially after it beats in some. Mine has lost some HSS but still has all of its LSS; I literally have never turned it all the way over, even when throwing hard and into the wind. Granted, it has so much glide that it's really tough to control in a firm headwind or right to left crosswind, but it's not going to flip over on you either.

I throw a Felon for controlled hyzers and when the wind picks up, so that I can capitalize on its relative lack of glide. I throw Escapes as my workhorse fairways. The Getaway comes out when I'm afraid I might flip an Escape, but I need more distance than a Felon.
Update, for anyone who cares to know:
My 166 Bio Getaway is much more beat in now. Flying more like -2 turn but still has nearly all of its fade and a ton of glide. So probably around 9/5.5/-2/3. At this point it basically fills the slot of a fresh Escape, albeit with a lot more lateral wriggle. I’ll probably keep it in the bag a while so I can continue to observe how a Getaway seasons. When we get to tournament season though, I imagine I’ll rely on a fresh Escape (9/6/-1/2 for me) in that slot instead. I’m more familiar with Escapes, plus -1 & 2 turn & fade is more reliable for me than -2 & 3 turn & fade. I’ve already added a fresh 169g Fuzion Burst Getaway to the bag to handle Thunderbird-esque shots.