Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 290 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
This has been posted on these forums before somewhere.
I re-read it periodically when I get mixed up with where older molds fit in the chronology.

http://discgolfwarehouse.com/Disc%20...golf_discs.htm
I know I have seen this before, but cool to go back over it all. I thought when I first tried was in '94 but that link has the Xclone in '95. My first three discs were Magnet, Hawk and Xclone.
Funny to think how hard that Xclone was for me to throw, the Blizzard Boss of the day but looking at it now its a fairly OS speed 7.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 80
Niced 182 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I've never had a problem laying into a Buzzz. Yesterday I put a 2017 Tour Series under a basket at 370 (5ish-ft elevation drop).
I put maybe a 20 degree hyzer when I'm really trying to push them out, but usually a whisper of a hyzer will do to keep them from ever turning over. Sometimes I get a slight drift before fading back at the end, but usually they're on a rope...or I've underpowered them so the usual miss is to the left (RHBH)

I used to bag the Meteor/Buzzz/Wasp/Drone setup. My Wasp (Roc3) needed a flat release to get any distance. And yes, they can handle more power, and they needed it to get them as far as a Buzzz thrown at 80%.

But I see how added stability can give confidence...
But yesterday I parked hole #1 at Lemon Lake all the way from downtown. Smooth 75% throw with a 15 degree hyzer, with my 2015 pre-release limited edition Roc3. I don't know if a Buzzz would have had the stability to get me there without really cranking on it, with the wind coming out of the east.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 871 Times in 484 Posts

[QUOTE=BuzzzChief;3389587]But yesterday I parked hole #1 at Lemon Lake all the way from downtown. Smooth 75% throw with a 15 degree hyzer, with my 2015 pre-release limited edition Roc3. I don't know if a Buzzz would have had the stability to get me there without really cranking on it, with the wind coming out of the east.

Well played, sir.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 28
Niced 145 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
But yesterday I parked hole #1 at Lemon Lake all the way from downtown. Smooth 75% throw with a 15 degree hyzer, with my 2015 pre-release limited edition Roc3. I don't know if a Buzzz would have had the stability to get me there without really cranking on it, with the wind coming out of the east.

Nice rip but you're probably throwing with some serious OAT... suggest just playing some putter only rounds for a while.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Not necessarily the first...wasn't the Aurora created before the Buzzz? So would it technically be the first lowline, driver type mid?
Sometimes the "first" and the "at the right time" are different.

The small diameter driver started getting popular in the late 90's. Discs like the Cheetah had made inroads, but by the time you had the XL/Eagle/TeeBird out there in '98-'99 the Viper was finally unseated as the ubiquitous driver. By '03, you had guys that had started playing with small diameter drivers. They were used to the "throw it hard on a low line" route to the basket. The Buzzz showed up and was a mid that fit they way they threw. It was the "at the right time" mid for these new players.

There could have been earlier discs that would have fit the bill as well, but they would have come out when disc golf was played by a buncha non-athletic nose-up chuckers who couldn't throw them.

*can't throw a Buzzz to save my life*

Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,972 Times in 940 Posts

I've played disc golf long enough to remember when the Buzzz was referred to as a "cheater disc." But not long enough to remember when the Stingray was a driver.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 685 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Don't see much Roc vs Buzzz chatter anymore, even a few years ago when I started it was still a hotly debated subject and good for a front page thread every week or so it seemed.

It would seem that once the Roc3 came into the limelight, the Roc guys willing to migrate into premium plastic had more in common with the Buzzz guys than before.
Everyone has picked a side and realized how redundant the argument is.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have always thrown a buzzz. At one point when I was still pretty new to the sport I tried a roc. I was fine but when I lost and and went to buy another one and couldn’t remember what type of roc I had. So I got another buzzz.