Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stuck in a tree

Recently played a round and my freinds drive nestled atop a pine tree about 15m up. We all could see it but were unable to retrieve it despite a lengthy rock throwing session. We all agreed the 2m rule was not in effect and that the lie should be roughly a vertical line from the disc down to the playing surface. Question, should there have been a penalty stroke, not for the 2m violation but rather irretrievable disc?? The disc is technically in bounds but abandon. It's not lost, nor forgotten but resigned to the tree. Would this be considered a natural hazard? Does this merit relief as an unplayable lie?? Your thoughts or the concrete rule and relevant language is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,072 Times in 1,645 Posts

I might be wrong but I think technically you have to be able to identify the disc as that player's disc. So if you all saw the disc go into the tree and it is visible, as long as the group agrees that it actually is the disc, there is no penalty. In this scenario it sounds like it was pretty obvious that it was his disc but, if the disc had gone into really thick tall tree and is not visible(and therefore cannot be properly identified as the player's disc), then its considered a lost disc and would get a 1 throw penalty.

WHat I am not sure of, is whether the player would have to return to the previous lie or not, since the disc cannot be found to establish the next lie, or if the group can agree to estimate the lie based on where the disc should be... and I am too tired to go digging thru the rule book, lol. I am sure someone else will chime in before I wake up...

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 01-07-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

You are all disqualified for being too lazy to climb the tree.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,525 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketweaver View Post
Recently played a round and my freinds drive nestled atop a pine tree about 15m up. We all could see it but were unable to retrieve it despite a lengthy rock throwing session. We all agreed the 2m rule was not in effect and that the lie should be roughly a vertical line from the disc down to the playing surface. Question, should there have been a penalty stroke, not for the 2m violation but rather irretrievable disc?? The disc is technically in bounds but abandon. It's not lost, nor forgotten but resigned to the tree. Would this be considered a natural hazard? Does this merit relief as an unplayable lie?? Your thoughts or the concrete rule and relevant language is appreciated.
There is no rule/penalty for "irretrievable disc". If you (meaning the group) determine that the disc in the tree is truly the thrower's disc, then there are no penalties for leaving it up there. Mark below (or directly behind the tree via the solid obstacle rule 803.02.B) and play on.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 200 Times in 110 Posts

805.01.C " If a disc first comes to rest above or below the playing surface, its position is on
the playing surface directly below or above the disc." Nothing in there about retrieving said disc.

As long as the disc is found and is identified, whether or not the disc is retrievable is irrelevant.