Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default When Is It OK to Retrieve Your Putt

Quick question for all the gurus, if I have putted and successfully completed the hole, do I need the next putting player's consent to retrieve my disc from the basket, or is it my right to retrieve my disc and clear the basket? I assume I can leave the disc if the other player consents; however, If I choose to get my disc, he/she has to wait to putt and can not call a courtesy violation?

Couldn't find anything in the rule book and exhaustive googling yielded nothing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 54
Niced 25 Times in 9 Posts

Don't know the rule but courtesy usually means you putt and clear the basket before the next nearest competitor putts.
If you see someone getting ready
to putt you can ask them if they want you to clear.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 360 Times in 167 Posts

Yes you can/should clear, and also use that opportunity to work on your best dance moves.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 443 Times in 225 Posts

This leads to the infamous Blair Witch pose where the second person starts putting while you are retrieving your disc and you end up standing awkwardly with your back to the basket waiting for the other person to finish their putt.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 79 Times in 39 Posts

Interesting, the idea that someone might specifically want you to NOT clear the basket. I understand not being bothered, if the previous player doesn't clear.

Went looking and found this...

810 Interference
H. Players must not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

I reckon the first sentence covers it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Interesting, the idea that someone might specifically want you to NOT clear the basket. I understand not being bothered, if the previous player doesn't clear.
My question came from a round I was playing where one guy on the card made a putt, didn't realize that another guy was putting, and the dude putting tried to blame the other guy for getting in his field of vision to retrieve his disc. I sided with the guy that went to get his disc as he completed the hole and it is his right to get his gear. But I dunno...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

I roll with the flow. If I see someone getting ready to putt I’ll wait but it’s pretty clear when someone wants you to get your disc out... they just look at you haha.
Same goes with me putting after someone. If they go for the basket I wait but If they just stand there I have no issue putting with another disc in the chains

Niced: (1)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
This leads to the infamous Blair Witch pose where the second person starts putting while you are retrieving your disc and you end up standing awkwardly with your back to the basket waiting for the other person to finish their putt.
This is an odd one. I've always pulled my putter out, walked out of the way, and turned around to watch. Why so many freeze backward is puzzling. It seems that some are trying to spare the delicate psyche of the next putter, which coddling is quite the opposite of sportsmanlike.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Par Member

Niced 114 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinO View Post
My question came from a round I was playing where one guy on the card made a putt, didn't realize that another guy was putting, and the dude putting tried to blame the other guy for getting in his field of vision to retrieve his disc. I sided with the guy that went to get his disc as he completed the hole and it is his right to get his gear. But I dunno...
The proper response is its the responsibility of the next player up to wait for the playing area to be clear and free of distractions. If they choose not to wait then that is their own fault.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,532 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
The proper response is its the responsibility of the next player up to wait for the playing area to be clear and free of distractions. If they choose not to wait then that is their own fault.
I agree. A player retrieving their disc from the basket after a putt can't really be called for interference or for being a distraction to the next player. The next player, if he can't wait to throw, should say something to the effect of "leave it" if he wishes to putt without waiting for the first player to retrieve his disc and clear out of the way. Otherwise, they should wait.

There was a time (prior to the 2011 edition of the rule book) where the rules stated that one wasn't properly holed out until their disc came to rest in the target and remained there until it was removed from the target. In other words, the next player shouldn't throw with another disc in the basket because the first player wasn't finished holing out until he'd pulled his disc from the basket.

Lots of players, myself included, automatically go to retrieve their disc immediately after making the putt due to that old rule, with no consideration to the possibility that someone else is going to not give us the time to do it by putting immediately.