Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoma1 View Post
Come on Weaksauce?
Crazy what catches on, and what people say these days..
lol, exactly... must be a guy with his quads so loose his bag is hanging at his knees... y'all know what im talking about
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,972 Times in 940 Posts

I have several good DG bag design ideas, if anybody can provide the capital, know-how, and materials I'm your man, lol.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

I haven't tried all these, but one requirement of a disc golf bag that backpacks don't generally have, is that you have to be able to set it down on a slope and rummage through it for the right disc, without it tipping or rolling and spilling its contents. It also has to have the dual-comfort of being carried on the back, or on the shoulder (when short distances don't warrant putting it on your back).
Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

not all bags are crap i have both a gorilla boy and a revo carolina and they are holding up great
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 27 Times in 22 Posts

I don't think backpacks are much good for disc golf anyways.

Think about the differences between hiking and disc golf.

When you hike , you load up your pack, and rarely will it have to be taken off until you reach your destination, especially if it has built in hydration.

When you disc golf, you have to take your pack off alot.
You take it off when you drive, then usually when you make your upshots and putts as well.

How much time does it actually spend on your back ?

I see most people with backpacks carrying the bag by the handle on top, walking with it by thier side for most of a round.

Ever time you have to pull it off your shoulders and put it down its a pain in the butt compared to a regular bag. The extra effort this requires, over multiple rounds of golf will cause much more fatigue than if someone just carries a standard DG bag.

The fasteners, like chest harness straps have, are not meant to be undone and snapped back together 54 times in a couple of hours, they will wear out alot faster than anything used in the hiking world.

Disc golf bags seemed to be modelled more like regular ball golf bags, with a simple sholder strap that allows it to be taken off and placed on the ground quickly and easily, and a flat bottom so it will stay where you put it.

Carts seem to be a more logical progression as disc golfers carry more and more discs and peripherals, other than for extreme safari golf courses, backpacks are too expensive and exotic for realistic DG use.

Having been an avid hiker and backpacker for longer than I have played disc golf, I have learned that the best experience for me will be if I have the lightest load possible to drag up mountains.

I carry this over to disc golf. I try to bring only the discs and equipment I need for a round, and leave everything else at home or in the car.

I use a duffel bag with comfortable handles for my discs, it only has to be lifted one foot off the ground, with my non throwing hand, and then placed the same distanced back to the ground when I make my shots. This requires very little movement, so I can play disc golf all day with 18 discs, 2 liters of water, and other stuff, and not get tired.

It makes me tired just thinking about the idea of having to pull off a backpack every few minutes.

So I hope the backpack fad is short lived, in favor or more shoulder bags with built in wheels and handles.

Also, the Mahal is not a backpack, it more of a giant DG bag with better shoulder straps, but it still hangs down by your lower back and not off the shoulders like a true backpack. Mystery Ranch is famous for backpack suspension systems, not the backpacks themselves, its thier suspension systems that set them apart from everyone else.

I think some people just want backpacks for the coolness factor, they think it makes them look more legit, but I want equipment that makes the game more enjoyable, I have nothing to prove to anyone.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 68
Niced 103 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoma1 View Post
Come on Weaksauce?
Crazy what catches on, and what people say these days..
Its "lamesauce" and im sry for starting that
Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Has anyone shared these thoughts and if so, have you tried modding one??
I'm thining a simian style frame wedged in a front loading one.

I just put safety pins around the zippers to stop the pocket from opening too much and added the mesh for the putter pocket (I usually have three in there but it can handle 4, unless the main compartment is totally stuffed). The only problem with it is that it doesn't stand up, but I'm not too bothered.

I don't think disc golf bags are in any way inherently bad, I did this mostly because I want to have space in the bag in addition to the discs and keep it pretty narrow for cycling (my main method of getting around). That, and the bag cost 40e where as a similar disc golf specific solution would have had less storage space and costs 169e (the Revolution Dual Bag). This bag also functions very well as a normal backpack.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations.

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 61
Niced 88 Times in 47 Posts

+1 for Capt. Jack!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to xJFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
Ever time you have to pull it off your shoulders and put it down its a pain in the butt compared to a regular bag. The extra effort this requires, over multiple rounds of golf will cause much more fatigue than if someone just carries a standard DG bag.
gotta disagree with this part here. i've done both. have a dual pack now and had a chimp before. after one round with the chimp i was ready to be done from shoulder and back fatigue, but this dual pack i have now eliminated all of that. no fatgue at all this weekend. played 2 straight days with 2 back to back round each and no shoulder or back fatigue.

EDIT: also, i love the use of weaksauce. we need to get this in the dictionary!

Last edited by xJFK; 03-25-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 66
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brall View Post
NOT BUTTERNUT!