Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow What would you like to see in a store?

Before i say anything if this isn't appropriate or in the wrong section MODS please delete.

Basically i have been playing disc golf for about a year and have fallen in love with it! I come from intense sports with paintball & auto racing being my main focus as of recently.
But the serenity of disc golf along with the competition that can be had by all has really brought me to love this sport.

I currently run a paintball shop and have been able (after some convincing ) to talk the owner into bringing disc golf into our shop.

Now i know in the area i live the problem is straight up selection, when you go to the shops that carry disc golf they are very select in what they carry (literally have 1 of each disc in 1 weight in 1-2 plastics)
So my MAIN focus will be getting a real selection in here and i would like to carry across the brands. (for now thinking innova,discraft & lat. 64 to get started)

But really i am new to this sport, only been around a year and definitely dont have all my mechanics worked out. I know what im looking for but i still fear i may have some bad ideals for basing some of what i want in the shop. So i figured id come to the experts!

Basically im looking to find out what YOU would want in your local disc golf shop? (ie selection/acessories/sponsorships/hours/everything!)
Pleassse remember this won't be a fully dedicated shop but i should have ample $$ and about 200 sq. ft. in the shop to dedicate to disc golf

Thanks!
-Taylor
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Carry mostly to all max weight. Most players prefer it, and if your store is half >175 grams, its much harder for advanced players to find anything they want
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try the 2 big'uns 1st, in the different plastic(read $$ options). Once you have regular customers, play off of their requests (they are the the folks who are spending $$ in your shop). Try to keep fellow employees educated @ discs, the level of skill of your customers, and what will work for them.
Good luck!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 256
Niced 39 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesummers View Post
Carry mostly to all max weight. Most players prefer it, and if your store is half >175 grams, its much harder for advanced players to find anything they want
you are incorrect. most players do not throw only max weight.
People are always looking for lighter stuff here.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree with the second post above. You want a nice variety of discs and weights so that you can service the entire community. The more "advanced" players who only want max weight are only a part of the community. When you talk with Innova, Discraft and Gateway they know what sells and can give you a nice assortment. I would also like to see fade bags as well as a more premium bag, Phenix quads, cheaper quads, some clothing(I really like the current DGA designs). Some form of lights for glow rounds are always nice. I hope you do well, having a true shop in the area is a blessing.

Last edited by Mr. Orange; 10-17-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: others posted quicker than I
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange View Post
I disagree with the second post above. You want a nice variety of discs and weights so that you can service the entire community. The more "advanced" players who only want max weight are only a part of the community. When you talk with Innova, Discraft and Gateway they know what sells and can give you a nice assortment. I would also like to see fade bags as well as a more premium bag, Phenix quads, cheaper quads, some clothing(I really like the current DGA designs). Some form of lights for glow rounds are always nice. I hope you do well, having a true shop in the area is a blessing.
I agree variety is important, but it is not to cater to "advanced players" TORQUE MONKEYS throw max weight, noobs who buy their discs at Dicks sporting goods get all maxweights. Real advanced players know what weights are best for them and it takes more than 1.1 years to be advanced.

Post a 160 River and a 175 Wraith and see which sells faster.
at the midatlantic meet people were looking for lighter teebirds and leopards.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 97
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

get a boat load of Polecats, you'll thank me later
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 77
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
I agree variety is important, but it is not to cater to "advanced players" TORQUE MONKEYS throw max weight, noobs who buy their discs at Dicks sporting goods get all maxweights. Real advanced players know what weights are best for them and it takes more than 1.1 years to be advanced.

Post a 160 River and a 175 Wraith and see which sells faster.
at the midatlantic meet people were looking for lighter teebirds and leopards.
This I agree with " " was to imply sarcasm.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM

I was also jabbing at the "advanced" player.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

heck even if you carry just innova carry many molds. Don't assume you know what I want in molds, even if it isn't 20 polecats, first store I saw a polecat in I bought one, had no idea what it was but wanted to try it. If I could I personally would have one of every mold possible, but won't buy new molds off the internet, I want to hold it in my hand first.