Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I trained my last dog to run up to my disc and tap it with his foot. It wasn't too hard to do but he was freakishly smart.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Very cool! I figure if I'm already going to be doing extensive hunting training there's no reason it can't learn the same commands for discs. It may be a year until I get a dog, but I'm already excited about doing training and having a dog to run into the brush for me to pick up peasants, discs, etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 92
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
^ yeah that is exactly what I want, sounds like a good tip...now I just need to get the basics down
Glad to be of service! Once he has the "leave it alone" down, you can start training to have him locate. My Great Dane is not very good at it but he tries. I trained him at home by having him sit while I tossed a disc a few feet. I would then say "find it!" and lead him over to it, touch it to his nose, and give him a treat ("good find it!"). He's no good at long distances but can usually get about a 50/50 success rate if I can get him over in the general area. A more motivated dog with better training could do it a lot better.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 114
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

There is a lab that goes to the USDGC every year that will fish discs out of the pond. That would be a good trick to teach your dog.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve a View Post
There is a lab that goes to the USDGC every year that will fish discs out of the pond. That would be a good trick to teach your dog.
Yeah I wish mine would go in the water...
Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Good old Bear. He's getting up in years and can't get into the water as much as he'd like these days.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a friend who has a dog who will go find your disc in the woods. he takes another one of your discs and lets the dog smell it. He then sends the dog into the woods and out come your disc.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 183
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts

I trained my black lab on the local courses when he was a pup, but I trained him to ignore the discs.

We played a ton of solo/training rounds until I felt comfortable with him listening to me and paying attention enough to sit and stay out of the way while I was throwing. I thought part this was important so that I did not have to tie the leash to myself or my bag.

Floyd is now 6-7ish and he still loves the courses, especially when he has an opportunity to swim.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Of course the best way to train a dog not to go after discs is to never play frisbee catch with it. My danes only get balls and rope toys and such

Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 79
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

What advice JT has given is pretty good... work on sit and stay with treats and positive reinforcement.. The more time your dog spends with you the more he will learn, just have fun and let him be a puppy They want to explore for the first year or so then you can get serious... My dogs are all competition disc dogs my 2 oldest dogs will chase every disc almost since I never played disc golf with them. I'm new to DG and getting more serious this summer... My new border Collie pup has been playing lots of DG with me.. Its been tough teaching him to understand this is DG time and when we are working with dog disc... but he is still young, I let him have fun.. I hate to tell him no when he grabs my putter but I'm sure in time he is going to know when to chase and catch and when to leave it alone by commands only..