Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Higher Ratings in PDGA Sanctioned Leagues

Has anyone been playing in local PDGA Sanctioned Leagues and noticed their league rating is significantly higher than their actual rating?

This course I'm playing on isn't my home course, and I've only played it two more times outside the league. But my rating is much higher (50+ points) in the rounds than my current rating. Could just be my rating is new and now I'm playing above, but I wasn't sure if anyone has similar results.

Also, will each round count towards my rating or will all the league rounds be averaged into a single rating? I can't seem to find it on http://www.pdga.com/leagues or http://www.pdga.com/your-league-now-pdga-ratings
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 87
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default Rating

Mine seemed the opposite. Actually made my rating drop.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 123
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Local league here has the exact opposite happening......

SSA is around -7 in the tournament but is coming out at -10/11........I am rated 1014 and to shoot that each week would require course record golf every round (current record is -12).

I am personally not a fan of the program as it stands due to the possibility it will screw up the entire ratings pool

Looks like each week gets a rating as well

Last edited by Scoot_er; 08-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 669
Niced 1,149 Times in 545 Posts

Overall, the average of league ratings MUST equal the average of the ratings of the propagators playing the courses. We compared the average ratings of the propagators with their average league ratings and they ended up the same as expected. It shouldn't surprise anyone that there will be players who shoot better in league than events and vice versa. But there's no inherent advantage or disadvantage overall to leagues versus events, only to individuals and they'll need to figure that out for themselves.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Overall, the average of league ratings MUST equal the average of the ratings of the propagators playing the courses. We compared the average ratings of the propagators with their average league ratings and they ended up the same as expected. It shouldn't surprise anyone that there will be players who shoot better in league than events and vice versa. But there's no inherent advantage or disadvantage overall to leagues versus events, only to individuals and they'll need to figure that out for themselves.
It's a problem when the average prop is rated under 900.........and this rating is constructed from out of town events...then you use that 880 rating to predict their home course score...which would be a low prediction.

Takes 1035+ golf to shoot 1000........and I have made up my mind.....and looking at the league results it seems like others voted with their feet as well.

All this does is reduce the integrity of the original ratings IMO.

Last edited by Scoot_er; 08-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM

It's simply ignorance Scoot_er. Who's to say that the real SSA isn't what is recorded during leagues and you get a bonus at events? The only way the SSA can come out lower at a league is if everyone is averaging better scores. If you can't shoot 2 better, it's your failure not the system. The course simply plays easier apparently due to less pressure at some leagues.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
It's simply ignorance Scoot_er. Who's to say that the real SSA isn't what is recorded during leagues and you get a bonus at events? The only way the SSA can come out lower at a league is if everyone is averaging better scores. If you can't shoot 2 better, it's your failure not the system.

If that is true your ratings are garbage........course record is barely 1000?........really?

I have played long enough and can estimate the rating within +/-5pts......at any PDGA event......but they aren't even close at this local league.

6 holes at 400ft or more.....yet the league SSA is -10/11....or in an extreme case -14
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
f you can't shoot 2 better, it's your failure not the system. The course simply plays easier apparently due to less pressure at some leagues.

Yes......for the low rated players.........and it is more than 2.......but you never looked at the results I sent you......try 5 shot fluctuations in SSA

This isn't about ratings.....it is about money....if anything it takes credibility away from the ratings.......

Had Climo shown up the SSA would have probably been right.........but since the highest rated player is below 950.........this doesn't happen

-18........6 strokes better than the course record = 1050 LOL
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Like I said, who's to say the numbers from league aren't closer to the true course rating? There's no independent way to confirm it either way. For all we know, some course SSAs are inflated due to tournament stats only. I think we'll be reconsidering course ratings all over the country based on league play.

I don't know how many times I have to say this but there's no truth to the myth that higher rated players increases the SSA. Ulibarri played a league in South Dakota and their SSA was still 1-2 shots lower that night than in an event.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Courses Played: 60
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The league I'm playing in is a new course (only open about 3 months). So I wonder if the SSA is still in flux or not on par to a more established course. That could explain the higher ratings. For an example I'm shooting 3 par (on a par 68) and getting about a 960 rating.