Old 09-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Niced 44 Times in 21 Posts

What's up with Katanas these days? The top is different- probably a destroyer or pd2 top. Totally different disc than what it's supposed to be. Anyone else notice?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 548 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
What's up with Katanas these days? The top is different- probably a destroyer or pd2 top. Totally different disc than what it's supposed to be. Anyone else notice?
Tough to say. The Katana is already one of the most inconsistent molds I've ever seen. Some are domey, some are flat. Some glide, some don't. Some have lots of high speed turn, some don't.

I feel bad for anyone who has to buy Katanas online and hope they receive one they actually like.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 132
Niced 42 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_G View Post
One used disc I always buy when I find one, no matter how many I have, is a used champ Katana. I think it is the plastic that is different, not the mold, but I don't like new ones from the last year or so.

I like Pro Katanas too, but the last one I bought was way more stable than normal, so maybe something is different?

Nothing flies as far on useful lines though. They are worth any trouble in getting the right ones.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Interestingly, I found a 134g blizz Katana lately that actually flies well. I was shocked. I expected it to turn and burn on every throw. It actually holds a line pretty well and goes a long, long way. I won't ever bag it, but Its a pretty worthy distance driver. I usually don't like blizzard plastic at all.

And yeah, flat star Katanas stink. You can't get any distance out of them and and they don't glide at all. The first Katana I ever threw was just such a disc and I hated it. Took me a while to warm to the mold in general. They're good drivers, but (as mentioned) TONS of variation from disc to disc.
I had a flat Star Katana that was my longest disc ever. It was a sad day when I lost it down a ravine at DeLa. There are other factors than dome with these, though I'm not sure what they are.

My son (who throws far) has a flat champ Katana that is quite stable. He uses it as his longest hyzer disc.

On the other hand, I had a flat G* Katana that was, indeed, garbage.

I find older Champ Katanas to be the longest and most reliable
Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
I had a flat Star Katana that was my longest disc ever. It was a sad day when I lost it down a ravine at DeLa. There are other factors than dome with these, though I'm not sure what they are.

My son (who throws far) has a flat champ Katana that is quite stable. He uses it as his longest hyzer disc.

On the other hand, I had a flat G* Katana that was, indeed, garbage.

I find older Champ Katanas to be the longest and most reliable
Yeah, my favorite Katanas are generally champion, but I've also thrown a couple good stars. I like them with some dome. The really flat Katanas I find to be beefy and glideless.

That said, it isn't one of my favorite molds. A good Katana is a real bomber, but a bad Katana will make you want to give up on them altogether. I'd put the Vulcan in the same boat. Domey Vulcans are massive understable bombers. Flat Vulcans seem to be glideless and a bit beefy. I've thrown 1 star Vulcan that reminded me exactly of a Katana. Very little high speed turn and no glide.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,544 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
One used disc I always buy when I find one, no matter how many I have, is a used champ Katana. I think it is the plastic that is different, not the mold, but I don't like new ones from the last year or so.

I like Pro Katanas too, but the last one I bought was way more stable than normal, so maybe something is different?

Nothing flies as far on useful lines though. They are worth any trouble in getting the right ones.
I have one Pro Katana and it flies well for me, neither badly overstable nor flippy understable. Your OS one may just have molded up that way. The good thing about getting a relatively overstable disc is that you can season it in.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have one Pro Katana and it flies well for me, neither badly overstable nor flippy understable. Your OS one may just have molded up that way. The good thing about getting a relatively overstable disc is that you can season it in.
Yeah that pro Katana has worked into my favorite distance driver now. For my arm throwing copies of both the pro Katana and pro Boss is a good way to get a nice range of high-speed stabilities. I am curious to add a pro Shryke to the mix.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Little Katana insight from lately.....

I've thrown 2 champion Katanas in the last 6 months. Both somewhat gummy. A 167 and 168g. Outstanding bombers. I've been really hit or miss on the Katana over the years, but these latest 2 are a couple magnificent specimens. Neither one is overly domey, nor are they really flat. Just a mild dome. They fly pretty much dead on the numbers (13, 5, -2, 3).

The glide and penetration are outstanding. These 2 Katanas have the perfect stability to allow for hard rips without flipping over. Very classic S curve Katana flight too. Great disc for hyzerflips. I figure I was getting these somewhere north of 420' fairly routinely. The Katana I threw today was outdistancing a Sheriff and champion Shryke.

The Katana is still a very real nominee for longest driver out there. It isn't anything I'd use in headwinds, but for calm or downwind rips it'll hang with any other driver.

I guess my point is, I forgot how damn long this mold really is. I've only messed with Katanas periodically over a 10 year period. I may have to try to wedge one of these into my bag.

Niced: (1)