Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 94 Times in 64 Posts

It's shorts year round pretty much for me in NC, unless we're talking windy and sub-40 deg and tournament 4some pace of play. I'm in the 'no jeans for anything remotely active' camp (though I am intruiged by the Chuck Norris Action Jeans, for those unexpected rounds where I need to scissor kick somebody.) No need to hate, it's a trade-off, because in summer playing from around 11 am to 5 pm can be...unpleasant. I'm not sure I wouldn't trade for having to deal with snow 4 months/yr rather than rotting in my own perspiration 4 months/yr.

There were a couple of rounds last winter, ice bowl, etc, tournament rounds, where the pace was slow enough that I needed more layers. Track pants or shorts over thin polypro thermals are best for me, though the latter gets me ragged on as "wearing tights." Solo/casual rounds move fast enough (and start late enough) that I can usually just wear shorts.

Best advice for cold tournament rounds I've seen is, glove/mitten for throwing hand that's as easy as possible to take off/put on.

I'm a firm believer in the concept of spending the better part of clothing budget on socks/underwear.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Smartwool, Smartwool, Smartwool.

I have several smartwool long sleeve shirts that I can use as a base or doubled up.

As for pants... I have a pair of stretch Royal Robbins jeans that are good. I don't need crazy amounts of freedom in the winter. But it's the south. I also have about 8 pairs of Smartwools that are winter weight... The best ones are the "expedition" hiking socks. I also have several pairs of snowboard socks from them. They can go up to the knees if need be.