Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Discing Down?

I recently realized that I wasn't getting that much more distance out of my distance drivers than I was out of my fairway drivers, so I made the conscious choice to dump all my high-speeds(10+) and replace them with more fairways. My distance hasn't really suffered, and I feel like I'm getting much more out of these discs with increased control. As I result, I've been cutting two or three strokes off of nearly every round I play. Anybody else do the same and notice results? I felt like I had hit a plateau in terms of getting better that I'm starting to move past. Reaching for a warp-speed driver used to feel like the right choice (especially as a forehand player to get an increase in distance) but since I've dumped them I'm playing better than I ever was before. Anybody else go through this, and if so how/when did you begin to put the warp-speed stiff back in your bag? Anyone else see this as kind of a common problem amongst a lot of players?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts

This is one of the main reasons why the TeeBird is one of the best discs out there. I can get 380 to 420 out of my Destroyers and Swords, but there are too many conditions and factors that I face when throwing that I cannot throw a specific distance or line every time. My local course has numerous 400-420 foot holes, which means sometimes I am parking it, sometimes I am still up to 50 feet away.

However, my maximum distance min/max range from something like a TeeBird is much smaller, say 370 to 390. So on average my TeeBird comes up shorter, but only some of the time. More importantly it is consistent. If I face a hole that is 340 to 380, I am going to reach for a TeeBird (or by extension a TL) far more often than I will for a Sword or Destroyer.

There have been many times where I have said, "screw it, I'm dumping the wide rimmed stuff and throwing TeeBirds exclusively." There is just something about occassionally getting that 400+, especially on those longer holes, where the risk of being a little off is not greater than the reward of if I do hit it. I guess it all depends on whether we are talking open field or not. On a wooded course I almost never throw anything over Speed 9 anyway, and sometimes not over Speed 7.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 67 Times in 53 Posts

I would guess around 90 percent of golfers try high speed discs before they are ready. So its very normal to do what you did. I even went as far as going down to putters mostly. It really helps your release, and form. And now I throw putters around 250'.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That implies you aren't generating the proper arm speed to throw the high speed drivers, I didn't quite disc down, I just have enough distance that I put a couple more FW drivers in my bag and made my distance drivers more simple and took some out. ie I did not need 8 drivers anymore, I think I carry 4 or 5 now.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 89
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickRhino View Post
I recently realized that I wasn't getting that much more distance out of my distance drivers than I was out of my fairway drivers, so I made the conscious choice to dump all my high-speeds(10+) and replace them with more fairways. My distance hasn't really suffered, and I feel like I'm getting much more out of these discs with increased control. As I result, I've been cutting two or three strokes off of nearly every round I play. Anybody else do the same and notice results...?
This is exactly the point I'm at now, but mostly came upon this realization by accident. I have a Discmania C-Line, a Champion Viking, and a Star Beast that I've been using. Only throw them RHFH because I've got no power with my BH and I at least know what these discs will do when I throw them FH.

Last two rounds I've played I determined that I was going to make myself learn RHBH. Knowing I don't have the speed to throw DDs, I picked up my Star Mako -- a disc I absolutely cannot throw FH and have been so inconsistent with BH that I rarely ever used it -- and decided it was time to learn. Went out to the local football field while my daughter had tennis practice and just threw the Mako and my two Aviar putters. Felt like I was getting a better feel and more consistency with my BH, so the last two rounds I only took my Mako.

It's worked wonders for me. My score actually went down throwing BH and my control and consistency has improved as well. And at my level (playing for all of four months, but a lot in that time) consistency and control trump power every time. Drive for show, putt for dough, as they say. What's more, this new "skill" has reinvigorated my desire to play and motivation to improve. I love this game....
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 223 Times in 148 Posts

Part of the fun is discovering your sweet spot of power, stability, etc. Then you get to factor in weather and other things which lead to other discs.

I am definitely around speed 7-8, but can throw an Unlace farther than anything, and an Ascent into the wind better than anything.

Playing around with new discs is a great part of the fun for me, and by gawd, they do fly differently.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,968 Times in 937 Posts

Been there, done that.

(always amazed/ashamed how cluttered and n00btastic my bag initially looks in that thread)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 58
Niced 105 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Been there, done that.

(always amazed/ashamed how cluttered and n00btastic my bag initially looks in that thread)
Star Starfires are for girls

bonus point for JLS/QMS combo
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I spent all of October throwing only putters (Puttober!), and I've spent all of November (Midvember!) moving up to include only mids. I don't think it's for everyone, but I think it's worked really well for me. I've gained distance, confidence and better shot shaping.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have considered taking the destroyers out of my bag and just using my teebirds and firebirds instead. I will think about it for the winter season.